LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 L front windshield unremovable dust !

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-07, 03:27 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS 460 L front windshield unremovable dust !

If its mirrored it reads

Ive seen it since i first bought my car and never gave it an attention thought it needs some cleaning then i saw it again.At first i thought it can be cleaned from the inside but nothing happened so i cleaned it i tried cleaning it from the outside; it seemed to be gone and when in a few it was back again. My rear window shows bigger circles what is that and is it possible to replace the windows for free !!
Old 08-10-07, 04:38 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Try using a claybar to clean your windshield. Some factory and road films can be pretty stubborn, but a rub with a claybar using a 10-20% mild detergent solution (dish detergent will do the trick) as a lubricant can remove them once and for all.
Old 08-10-07, 09:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yes try clay.

if doesn't work, try a bit alcohol or maybe vinegar. otherwise you might need to use some windows polish. i had some marks on my windows before, i ended up having to polish the windows a bit to get them out
Old 08-10-07, 09:52 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

That's the result of a grease pencil that they use to identify the car along the manufacturing process. Normally it goes away after you've been through enough rainy days and the wipers have removed the residue.

However, I guess in your case 1 or 2 rainy days a year isn't going to do it!

When you apply cleaners (alcohol, vinegar, ammonia, bleach), place a soaked paper towel on the spot and then cover that with clear plastic wrap (e.g. Saran Wrap) over it to keep the area moist with the cleaner. That should speed up the process.
Old 08-10-07, 11:06 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks ill try your suggestions
Old 08-27-07, 02:14 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

That dust did not go away i used everything, i tried cleaning from inside and outside but nothing happened. Today i moved my hands on the front window the place where it has 6156 is engraved its unremovable and the window is not smooth nor straight. So what do you suggest ? My friends told me that its better not to get the front window replaced because no matter what they do it wont be as perfect as it was before. Im thinking of replacing the car!!
Old 08-27-07, 02:20 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmm, I agree it is very aggravating but replacing the whole car is pretty extreme, a last resort. Some CL members have had windshields replaced, for instance for cracks or rock hits, if the dealer does a good job it might be very close if not indistinguishable from the original, hopefully.
Old 08-27-07, 02:34 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Well if i was in the US i would replace the front window but since im in Dubai i dont think its a good decision. Theyll screw the car buddy. Im going for the hard way. Tommorow morning im going back to the dealer; its either replacing the car or leave it as it is because even the rear window looks the same but it has like bubbles. Im going to be satisfied if they replace the car it would be another version hoping the "Wind Noise" is fixed & the "Glove Box" repair is done. Ill also held them responsible and try to re-install V-kool again for free, since i paid for it the first time.

Dreams may come true LOL.

Last edited by uae; 08-27-07 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-27-07, 02:38 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have to wonder who decided to mark the car in such a way that it was unremovable, that's very surprising and frustrating.
Old 08-27-07, 05:02 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I can't believe that you can't remove that grease pencil residue. I mean I do believe you, I just can't get over that it is so stubborn.

OK, here's another thing to try. Go to an automotive supply store, or a motorcycle dealer, and buy a bottle of "scratch & swirl" remover. Harley Davidson makes an excellent one, but I don't know if you have a dealer where you are. Follow the intstructions on the bottle as if you were removing a scratch from your fender.

One last thing to try. Here in the US there are places that specialize in repairing slightly cracked or chipped windsheilds so that they don't have to be replaced. If you have a place like that, try taking it to them and see what they can do.

Good luck!
Old 08-27-07, 06:38 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Thanx for your advise

Man thats not a grease pencil residue. The window is carved with the number "6516" and

when you move your hands on that area "6516" you feel the window is not smooth and when

the car is washed and water is spilled on the front window and on that area specifically

the number shows up. Wheras if i move my hand on any part of the window other than

that area its smooth and equal.

Last edited by uae; 08-27-07 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-27-07, 06:54 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It sounds from your latter description like the marker used on your vehicle may have caused a chemical reaction between it, and the glass itself (probably aggravated by exposure to sunlight and/or its heat). My guess anyway... While glass is a very hard substance, it does have its limitations. Replacement is the best solution, short of a new car.
Old 08-27-07, 09:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
It sounds from your latter description like the marker used on your vehicle may have caused a chemical reaction between it, and the glass itself (probably aggravated by exposure to sunlight and/or its heat). My guess anyway... While glass is a very hard substance, it does have its limitations. Replacement is the best solution, short of a new car.
that's my guess too. the windshield has some sort of film on it for blocking uv and also for the water repellent, i wonder if that's damaged?
Old 08-27-07, 10:18 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Could it be the devil -- 6,51,6 is suspiciously like 6,6,6 - have you been living right?
Old 08-28-07, 01:53 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Thats what i think also, "Chemical Reaction" thingy. Moving your hands back and forth you can feel it though. I dont think im replacing it. Anything that comes with the company is always different.

Quick Reply: LS 460 L front windshield unremovable dust !