LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How many people enjoy the engine roar on hard accelerations?

Old 06-23-07, 08:52 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many people enjoy the engine roar on hard accelerations?

I've seen quite a few "complaints" about the relatively loud engine roar on hard accelerations with the new generation LS.

I actually found myself enjoying the roar - it confers that "sporty" feeling that the LS has lacked in the past.

On a side note, I clocked the 0-60 MPH at sub 5.6 with A/C off (I say "sub" because I figure that given my human, non-zero reaction time, I stopped the clock a little later than I should have).

This car's acceleration is just exhilirating. All that power with an intensely plush and luxurious interior cabin? What more could you ask for?
Old 06-23-07, 08:58 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

the sound is just pleasing to the ear but hurtful to the tank if u know what i mean.
Old 06-23-07, 09:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

man the car is fast huh, 5.6, that's very nice

i think the engine roar is just ok, definitely not loud and a the same time not that exciting though. i say typical for lexus. kind of similar to our sc430

comparing to other cars i think lexus has done a pretty darn good job on isolating engine noises
Old 06-23-07, 11:19 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

the sound is just pleasing to the ear but hurtful to the tank if u know what i mean.
Very true.

At 20 Highway : 80 "curvy 40 M.P.H. roads" / city, the LS is getting 16.5 MPG with "spirited" driving as I like to call it.

It should be getting (.2)(27) + (.8)(18) = 19.8 MPG or so.
Old 06-23-07, 11:22 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Supposedly the Lexus engineers brought in the engine roar on hard accelerations because they felt the car was getting 'too quiet' -- nice touch if you ask me.
Old 06-23-07, 11:56 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
man the car is fast huh, 5.6, that's very nice

i think the engine roar is just ok, definitely not loud and a the same time not that exciting though. i say typical for lexus. kind of similar to our sc430
I won't call it a "roar"
Old 06-24-07, 02:55 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not really a roar. It's more like a quick grunt.

I never have had the reason to hit the gas on the LS. Most of my passengers want to be pampered in the car, not thrown about inside...
Old 06-24-07, 09:28 AM
acecert
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It's not really a roar. It's more like a quick grunt.

I never have had the reason to hit the gas on the LS. Most of my passengers want to be pampered in the car, not thrown about inside...
I had a reason yesterday...a freeway on ramp close to my house and it is short. A truck on my left and needed to quickly speed ahead before the end of the ramp. It was the first time I really needed to gun it. Frankly, I was disappointed. Didn't pay much attention to any "roar" or "grunt" but it had a hesitation before kicking it into gear to get moving that I didn't particularly care for.
Old 06-24-07, 10:26 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by acecert
I had a reason yesterday...a freeway on ramp close to my house and it is short. A truck on my left and needed to quickly speed ahead before the end of the ramp. It was the first time I really needed to gun it. Frankly, I was disappointed. Didn't pay much attention to any "roar" or "grunt" but it had a hesitation before kicking it into gear to get moving that I didn't particularly care for.
That downshift hesitation has existed on both of my previous LS's, a '99 LS400 and an '03 LS430.

I've written to Lexus about it, but have received no satisfactory reply.

I'm really hoping that the CVT on the LS600hL I'm getting in August doesn't have this issue.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a safety issue since you must quickly abandon your maneuver because there's no longer enough time or distance to complete your original action.

HBH
Old 06-24-07, 10:37 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Didn't pay much attention to any "roar" or "grunt" but it had a hesitation before kicking it into gear to get moving that I didn't particularly care for.
This is pretty much unacceptable (fox Lexus); I had no idea a problem like this existed. Thanks for mentioning this.

Now, quick question - in order to avoid this hesitation, is it reasonable to begin on accelerating "medium-hard" and then briskly move to "hard" acceleration in order to avoid this hesitation?

Will Lexus offer a fix for this problem any time in the near future?
Old 06-24-07, 10:51 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Nothing like the gutterral sounds of an awakening V8. I can hardly wait to strap on a few fart cans on mine.

No hesitation here, just jump and go. I often have to clean Brylcreem and earwax off the inside back window.

Last edited by Johnny; 06-24-07 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-24-07, 11:02 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dmvp29
Now, quick question - in order to avoid this hesitation, is it reasonable to begin on accelerating "medium-hard" and then briskly move to "hard" acceleration in order to avoid this hesitation?
I experienced this downshift hesitation when my speed was 20-40 and I put the "Pedal to the Metal" trying to merge onto a highway or overpass a car.

Since they haven't addressed this issue in at least 8 years, I expect that they no interest in doing so.

HBH
Old 06-24-07, 01:12 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dmvp29
This is pretty much unacceptable (fox Lexus); I had no idea a problem like this existed. Thanks for mentioning this.

I don't have this hesitation problem on my car. When I need to pass, the transmission and engine are very responsive...no complaints here!
Old 06-24-07, 01:55 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Take it in for service. Might be a program setting out of synch. It shouldn't do that.
Old 06-24-07, 02:08 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Good to hear that this hesitation is not a universal problem. I will check it out today.

To be honest - I have not noticed this "hesitation" problem, but then again, I may be desensitized to the transmission's performance given the fact that our previous car ('95 mercedes) was old and in terrible condition.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many people enjoy the engine roar on hard accelerations?