LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anybody been able to custom order a 460L

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-07, 12:08 PM
gatorcb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody been able to custom order a 460L

Has anybody been able to order a custom 460L rather than buy off a lot with only the options you wanted?
Old 06-23-07, 01:25 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I custom ordered a SWB, but it could have easily been a LWB if I had wanted it. Why, is your dealer claiming he/she can't order a custom vehicle for you?
Old 06-23-07, 02:02 PM
gatorcb
Driver

Yes...we specifically asked about ordering a 2008 later in the summer, and the dealer said they could only put in a "request" Basically, we weren't guranteed we would get what we want. Doesn't make sense. How do you do a deal based upon unknown options? I understand the manufacturing process...easier to make 1000 vehicles the same rather than slip a custom vehicle on the line, but still it should be possible. Do you mind sharing the name of the dealer and location?
Old 06-23-07, 02:12 PM
Nospinzone

It sounds like your dealer would rather move something he has on the lot than give you what you want. I would firmly, but nicely, tell him that if he can't order it, you will find a dealer who will.

My dealer is Lexus of Watertown (Massachusetts, just outside of Boston), so a bit far for you!
Old 06-23-07, 02:16 PM
Mallory H.
Driver

Originally Posted by gatorcb
Yes...we specifically asked about ordering a 2008 later in the summer, and the dealer said they could only put in a "request" Basically, we weren't guranteed we would get what we want. Doesn't make sense. How do you do a deal based upon unknown options? I understand the manufacturing process...easier to make 1000 vehicles the same rather than slip a custom vehicle on the line, but still it should be possible. Do you mind sharing the name of the dealer and location?
When I custom ordered my car the dealer never could tell me the status of my order so I ended up taking a car with out the power door/ trunk closer feature which was one of the options on my special order. I really think most dealer would rather get you in a car rather than take the chance of losing a sale waiting on a special order.
Old 06-23-07, 02:42 PM
Nospinzone

Mallory, I ordered my car on March 7th. The dealer could tell me nothing about the order right up until last Monday when the salesman called to say to expect delivery in a week to 10 days. Maybe the dealer doesn't get a whole lot in information.

As far as taking a chance of losing the sale, I had a $3000 deposit on the car that was non-refundable if I backed out of the sale. So there wasn't much risk on their side.

The funny thing is, during this time I happened to see the new Jaguar XKR. If I wasn't committed to the LS, I would have had some hard choices to make!
Old 06-23-07, 03:36 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Ask your dealer to show you the Lexus manufacturing & delivery website. There you will find a complete list of cars in process, in transit, on the dock, and what dealers they are assigned to. You can then pick the color, the configuration, and a date that suits you. If the car you want is allocated, you can have them trade with that dealer. If your dealer refuses to reveal this to you, report them to Lexus, and find another. They all have this info at their fingertips which allows you to make a more informed choice that suits you.

If after all this you still can't find exactly what you want, then at least you've done your homework.
Old 06-23-07, 04:31 PM
Mallory H.
Driver

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Mallory, I ordered my car on March 7th. The dealer could tell me nothing about the order right up until last Monday when the salesman called to say to expect delivery in a week to 10 days. Maybe the dealer doesn't get a whole lot in information.

As far as taking a chance of losing the sale, I had a $3000 deposit on the car that was non-refundable if I backed out of the sale. So there wasn't much risk on their side.

The funny thing is, during this time I happened to see the new Jaguar XKR. If I wasn't committed to the LS, I would have had some hard choices to make!

My sales person first ask for a deposit of $1,000.00 but when I complained and said I was a repeat customer he reduce it to $500.00. As far as providing info goes some dealers are willing to provide more than others , how about the buyers who were able to get info on the boat the car was being shipped from Japan on. I would ask my sales person if my car had been preference and
as easy as that question was I could never get an answer. Non refundable deposits are not always the case.
Old 06-23-07, 05:38 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I special ordered mine without a problem back in Dec, took delivery in March. I'm one the first people on the East coast with the Touring package. They told me the wait would take longer.

Dealers want to move whats on their lot, they have to pay the bank each month for floor plan $. Call Lexus and complain about that dealer.
Old 06-23-07, 06:11 PM
gatorcb
Driver

Originally Posted by garyr
Dealers want to move whats on their lot, they have to pay the bank each month for floor plan $. Call Lexus and complain about that dealer.
This is exactly why they should love someone who will order a 2008 before it hits the lot...days on the lot to pay interest on the vehicle is zero
Old 06-23-07, 10:10 PM
Beltfed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
M
First off, there is mostly no such thing as a non refundable deposit.

Even if you specially order a car, no services have been rendered. A buyers order is not a binding contract, even if you sign it.

They don't hold up in court and you are entitled to your deposit back if you decide against the vehicle......almost always.

There is one case where you may have an issue is if the dealer can prove your ordered car is going to be problem inventory....usually being a very odd color combo.

No LS would fall under the "problem" inventory defense.

Never fall the "deposit not refundable" BS. Also, $3k is a ridiculous deposit amount for a car that is rather popular.
Old 06-24-07, 04:14 AM
hankbrande
Driver School Candidate

I ordered a 2008 470LS about two weeks ago. I specified ALL options except touring package and exec seating. The dealer tells me late Sep/early Oct for delivery.

I put a $1000 deposit down.
Old 06-24-07, 05:58 AM
Nospinzone

Beltfed, you're right. Although the boilerplate in the purchase contract stated it was non-refundable, I know I could have gotten out of it with my money back if I really wanted to do so. I was only half serious about the XKR (but it is a beautiful vehicle).

As far as the $3000, that is high but there were two reasons for that. One is this will be on only car sold in the Northeast with the particular options I selected (none of the six dealers in my area has sold a car with Pre-Collision, and as far as I can determine no dealer on the Northeast has done so). Now frankly I can't see them getting "stuck" with such a car as I would never buy a car without Adaptive/Intelligent Cruise Control.

Secondly, my deal was better than anything I have ever seen on any LS boards, so I had to give the dealer a little concession. Besides, I could put the deposit on my credit card so I earned points anyway.
Old 06-25-07, 11:51 AM
massshelti
Rookie

Originally Posted by Beltfed
First off, there is mostly no such thing as a non refundable deposit.

Even if you specially order a car, no services have been rendered. A buyers order is not a binding contract, even if you sign it.

They don't hold up in court and you are entitled to your deposit back if you decide against the vehicle......almost always.

There is one case where you may have an issue is if the dealer can prove your ordered car is going to be problem inventory....usually being a very odd color combo.

No LS would fall under the "problem" inventory defense.

Never fall the "deposit not refundable" BS. Also, $3k is a ridiculous deposit amount for a car that is rather popular.
Ditto here. I ordered an LS430 from Lexus of Watertown, and after waiting almost five months, discovered that they lost / misplaced / snafu-ed my order. Either that, or they sold the car to someone else. I never did get the exact story from the sales manager.
Old 06-25-07, 12:08 PM
Nospinzone

Originally Posted by massshelti
Ditto here. I ordered an LS430 from Lexus of Watertown, and after waiting almost five months, discovered that they lost / misplaced / snafu-ed my order. Either that, or they sold the car to someone else. I never did get the exact story from the sales manager.

So don't leave us in suspense, what happened next? Did you get an LS? Inquiring minds want to know!

Quick Reply: Anybody been able to custom order a 460L