LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

"Regular" LS460 AWD or NOT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-07, 08:15 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 408 Likes on 282 Posts
Default "Regular" LS460 AWD or NOT?

Previously on here folks said an AWD version of the "regular" LS460 (SWB and LWB) was coming. In yesterday's Wall St Journal, the below answer to a question appeared.

I am on the fence about trading my LS430 for a 460. I REALLY want AWD and will wait if it's coming. WHAT IS THE REAL, HONEST STORY. This answer says NO AWD (except for the $100,000+ vehicle):

Q: I own a 2003 Lexus LS430 which is an absolutely wonderful car. I would like to trade up to the new Lexus LS460 but would want the LS460 to have all-wheel drive to justify the upgrade. I know the new LS600 hybrid has all-wheel drive but the premium for that model is too great. Do you know when or if Lexus plans to add all wheel drive to the LS460?
-- J. Soter,
Fairfax Station, Va.

A: Lexus says it has no plans to build an LS460 with all-wheel drive. However, I spent the last week test-driving an LS460 and found that even without all-wheel drive, it outshines its predecessor, the 430. The combination of more power, a smooth-shifting eight-speed transmission and what seemed like a firmer, sportier suspension made it a joy to drive. I think you should at least take a spin in one to see if recent advances make it worth owning even without all-wheel drive.
Old 05-18-07, 08:32 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
A: Lexus says it has no plans to build an LS460 with all-wheel drive. However, I spent the last week test-driving an LS460 and found that even without all-wheel drive, it outshines its predecessor, the 430. The combination of more power, a smooth-shifting eight-speed transmission and what seemed like a firmer, sportier suspension made it a joy to drive. I think you should at least take a spin in one to see if recent advances make it worth owning even without all-wheel drive.
That answer seems to ignore the primary advantage of AWD, that you are less likely to get stuck in snow or ice.

If an AWD LS460 were available now, I'd give serious consideration about switching my order from an LS600hL.

HBH
Old 05-18-07, 08:54 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Yes, the guy who responded to the question apparently HAS NO CLUE about Pittsburgh. It's a bullshteig answer. My LS430 won't go up my driveway in the winter no way, no how even with snowtires, TRAC, NO TRAC or my kids pushing it. It just doesn't make sense to spend 70ish grand for a RWD car in the snow belt when there are so many AWD choices these days. ANd all this talk about "touring" is crap too. Touring my tailpipe! I wanna GET UP MY DRIVEWAY.

Unfortunately, Helmar, you also did not answer the question. So I ask it YET AGAIN:

Does Lexus have a "regular" AWD version of the LS460 in the nearterm pipline or not?
Old 05-18-07, 09:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well the truth is when interviewing (the chief designer of ls460?), he mentioned that the awd is coming. that's where most of us got our rumors from. some reports also stated that afterwards. only time will tell
Old 05-18-07, 10:15 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

If they are going to make AWD available for the LS460, I think they should officially announce it already than to keep it secret for as long as possible . . .
Old 05-18-07, 10:38 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the guy who responded to the question apparently HAS NO CLUE about Pittsburgh. It's a bullshteig answer. My LS430 won't go up my driveway in the winter no way, no how even with snowtires, TRAC, NO TRAC or my kids pushing it. It just doesn't make sense to spend 70ish grand for a RWD car in the snow belt when there are so many AWD choices these days. ANd all this talk about "touring" is crap too. Touring my tailpipe! I wanna GET UP MY DRIVEWAY.
Here is your concrete answer Daryll40: NOBODY KNOWS FOR SURE!!!!!!

It is all speculation at this point and none of us have a crystal ball. I would guess that they would at some point to compete better with MB/Audi but again, this is just a guess. At this point you have two options, wait or purchase another car.

With that said I have the LS460 in Pittsburgh and with snow tires I was never stuck. My driveway is not hilly but the road to my house is almost straight up. I drove 6,000 miles this winter in all conditions and was fine. It is worth noting that none of the roads I drove on were deep snow (less than 2 inches). This was the same case with the last two rear wheel drive cars I owned (Mercedes and BMW).

If this is something you must have then consider an A8 or S 4matic OR if you don't mind an SUV then the new LX that has a very similar interior to the LS.
Old 05-18-07, 11:55 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

You apparently never drove in Fox Chapel in the winter.
Old 05-18-07, 12:23 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

You apparently never drove in Fox Chapel in the winter.
Oh, you live in Fox Chapel, I thought you lived closer to Pittsburgh and not a whole 10 miles away! Yes, I have driven through fox chapel, oakmont, glenshaw, etna and sharpsburg in the snow among MANY other places. And I know that the lake effect in Cleveland produces much less snow than Fox Chapel but I have driven through Cleveland in the snow also. AND even the mountains on the PA turnpike Eastbound in many snow storms

Maybe you mean Fox Chapel, Alaska??????
Old 05-18-07, 12:47 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

I get your point that the LS430 DOES go in the snow. OK, ok. But you seem to be not getting MY point that for 70 grand, it makes no sense to futz with snowtires etc when there are PLENTY of GOOD AWD options out there.
Old 05-18-07, 01:12 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

It comes down to preference in some cases. I don't care about all wheel drive and actually prefer to not have it (I elected not to get 4 matic on my last Mercedes). AWD throws off the balance more, chews more gas and is often times more expensive to repair. If this is important to you then go for it. Like I said, A8 and S 4 Matic are great alternatives as is the LX SUV.

As for fussing with snow tires, even with AWD (in the case of my wife's RX330) we still put on snow tires. I have never had trouble getting going with RWD but I have had trouble stopping or staying on the road. In an early snow storm in 2005 (before we put the snow tires on) my wife spun out going 20 mph in her AWD RX. Also, this past winter a friend of mine was meeting me for lunch during a snow storm and he was sliding all over the road with his Audi Quatro and I had no problem with my LS (with snow tires). My biggest concern is going around a turn in the snow without snow tires.

I don't know who you go to in PGH but Rohrich will store your winter tires in the off season if you buy the tires from them. When you take it in for an oil change just say switch the tires and it is that easy. No fuss.

I drive roughly 35,000 miles a year in my cars and have no problem having RWD but again it comes down to preference.
Old 05-18-07, 01:20 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

BTW, it is more than obvious that you highly desire AWD so you really don't have a choice but to look elsewhere as nobody is sure if or when an AWD LS will be available.
Old 05-18-07, 02:01 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Yes, I deal with Rohrich and they do store tires and give good customer service.

At this point I am going to wait. I drove the GS350 AWD, the Infiniti M with AWD and the BMW 5 series with AWD. ALL THREE felt like a "step down" to a "mere" midsized vehicle. My brother has an Audi A8 and the customer service sucks and there are electrical issues. I've owned 7 Mercedes previously and they generally spent more time at the dealer than on the road. The Lexus is a joy compared to all that aggravation.

Sooner or later it will become clear that the LS460 will have AWD at some point or will never have it. I'll wait it out for now...
Old 05-18-07, 05:05 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by luxury1
Here is your concrete answer Daryll40: NOBODY KNOWS FOR SURE!!!!!!

It is all speculation at this point and none of us have a crystal ball. I would guess that they would at some point to compete better with MB/Audi but again, this is just a guess. At this point you have two options, wait or purchase another car.

With that said I have the LS460 in Pittsburgh and with snow tires I was never stuck. My driveway is not hilly but the road to my house is almost straight up. I drove 6,000 miles this winter in all conditions and was fine. It is worth noting that none of the roads I drove on were deep snow (less than 2 inches). This was the same case with the last two rear wheel drive cars I owned (Mercedes and BMW).

If this is something you must have then consider an A8 or S 4matic OR if you don't mind an SUV then the new LX that has a very similar interior to the LS.
I agree with the above. If I might add, I once owned a 4WD Audi 100. While there is no question it was great in the snow, the advantage was due to power distribution over four wheels. That's fine if everything else is on par, such as tire condition and most important of all, the skill of the operator. This is the weakest link in the chain. How many times have we seen 4WD SUVs breaking traction for misuse - whatever shape that takes. Really, the best solution is still chains, but who wants to mount those on & off whenever winter shows its teeth.

I've had many vehicles, with various drivetrains, and tire conditions to go along with them. I have never had much difficulty in any winter conditions, be it ice, snow, slush, hills or whatever winter throws at us. If I have been in any tricky situations, it was mostly my own fault.

In the final analysis, the most important equipment for winter driving is and always will be the human brain.

Last edited by Johnny; 05-19-07 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-18-07, 05:44 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

There is definitely a skill to driving in winter weather. As someone who has always been in winter snow (except for a 4 year stint in LA LA Land), I have seen unskilled drivers regularly run off the road while piloting AWD SUV's. By the same token, skilled drivers in RWD and without snow tires no less, go smartly, if not gingerly, through the same conditions. In the rare instances that some southern states get a snowfall, there are more cars off the road than on it. With no winter driving skills, those drivers are helpless.

Two keys are knowing how to feather the throttle, and most importantly, looking well ahead to where you are going. Driving with an eye to 100 to 300 or more feet ahead of you is critical. Being prepared to take on a curve or an incline is 80% of the battle.

To be sure, with two drivers of equal ability, the one with AWD has the definite advantage. However, the skilled winter driver in a RWd can quite literally run circles around the unskilled regardless of the vehicle.
Old 05-18-07, 07:23 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
To be sure, with two drivers of equal ability, the one with AWD has the definite advantage. However, the skilled winter driver in a RWd can quite literally run circles around the unskilled regardless of the vehicle.
Perhaps skill is important for DRIVING, but if you're garage is underground, and you make a sharp turn out of the garage and then must then climb a steep hill to get out of your driveway, AWD is a MUST.

You have no room to get a running start, and only the traction of the tires will get you up the hill. There's twice as much traction with AWD!

HBH

Quick Reply: "Regular" LS460 AWD or NOT?