LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Oil Change on a LS460/LS460L..

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-09, 09:00 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

can anyone confirm that the 2007 LS460 uses the same oil filter kit as the 2008 and 2009? I went to 3 different auto parts sites and got three different answers, one even shows a cannister...

I am guessing that they are the exact same cartridge and that the various kits just have different gaskets or something. I have several filter kits from my GS300 that I would like to use if the cartridge is the same and the kit would have the correct O ring in it.

Thanks for your help.

CMasten
Old 12-13-09, 11:59 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

So would 0W40 be a problem for the engine's safety (over the long-run)?

I noticed a change in fuel consumption after I switched to 0W40. A full tank now would drive about 60 miles less. I'm not concerned about fuel economy. I'm concerned about my engine.

Average temperature here is about 90F.

Thanks.

Last edited by JFNash; 12-14-09 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-14-09, 12:31 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cmasten
can anyone confirm that the 2007 LS460 uses the same oil filter kit as the 2008 and 2009? I went to 3 different auto parts sites and got three different answers, one even shows a cannister...

I am guessing that they are the exact same cartridge and that the various kits just have different gaskets or something. I have several filter kits from my GS300 that I would like to use if the cartridge is the same and the kit would have the correct O ring in it.

Thanks for your help.

CMasten
Yes, it's the same engine, and identical filter kit. Toyota's prices are not that bad actually. Like you, I found different sites specifying conflicting kits. Even Autolite, K&N & Pennzoil guides recommended canister type filters when I checked Walmart. Fram's kit was the correct type, but was the wrong size for the LS. And the savings are minute anyway. Best to go with Toyota. I bought a box of ten kits which saved a few bucks, bringing the price in line with everybody else's.

Last edited by Johnny; 12-14-09 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-14-09, 06:44 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Thank you Burnaby

CMasten
Old 12-14-09, 06:42 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by JFNash
So would 0W40 be a problem for the engine's safety (over the long-run)?

I noticed a change in fuel consumption after I switched to 0W40. A full tank now would drive about 60 miles less. I'm not concerned about fuel economy. I'm concerned about my engine.

Average temperature here is about 90F.

Thanks.
i personally wouldn't use it.. xw-40 seems a little too thick from the factory recommended xw-20.. i would stay @ xw-20 @ 90 degrees or maybe xw-30 if it's really heat soaked...

60 miles difference could be due to oil.. maybe A/C..
Old 12-21-09, 01:17 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

I dumped the oil today to put full Synth in it, I just feel it does a better job than Dyno.. but that is just me.

This was my first change on the LS. It was very straight forward and the filter kits I got for my 06 GS300 were exactly the same. I bought them off EBay for 9.95 for (3). In each kit I have the filter (much higher quality than what the dealer had in there BTW), the plastic drain spout, the small O ring for that bleeder nut and the larger O ring for the filter housing.

Its as simple as taking the bleeder nut off (is there an official name for this?) and putting the plastic drain spout in there to dump the filter area before you take the housing off. Then the main pan, which took some time.. as it is 9 quarts! Cleaned it all up and put it back together hand tight, the dealer guys always just crank this together so hard that its almost impossible to get back off.. not sure why they do that, I like to pay attention to how much torque I use.

Then it was 9 quarts of Full Synth, a reset of the Computer and a reset of the idiot light, I am not sure these are linked, Im assuming they are not?

Any how thanks for the tips up here, I was able to do this under 30 min and I have piece of mind as I get underneath and check out all the hoses and belts etc. I dont like counting on the dealer to do this the way I want it all done, but its much easier than any car I have ever owned, a very simple DIY for those of you that like to stay close to your own maintenance.
Old 12-22-09, 10:28 AM
smileman83
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you simply use drive on ramps? Di you feel you had enough room to operate? Glad it all went well. I have been having mine done at the Toyota dealerships here as they have a change while you wait area, as opposed to Lexus which is an all day affair.
Old 12-22-09, 11:36 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

smileman83, follow this link for a detailed oil change on a 600. It is identical for the 460.
Old 12-22-09, 02:12 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

yup, a pair of Rhino Ramps and there is plenty of room underneath. They make getting the LS up, a breeze.

I also took this time to drop in two new air filters and a cabin filter, about $100.00 in total for all the filters, the Full Synth Oil and Filter kit. About an hour of my time and I updated the Lexus Owners link and am good to go now for some time.

Also Im with Burnaby... do this yourself its simple and the piece of mind is priceless. I could totally tell that the dealer just half a$$ed this last time... I want it done right and I want ALL the gaskets and washers replaced each time.

Last edited by cmasten; 12-22-09 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-26-09, 09:41 AM
kmaahs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Without Ramps???

Originally Posted by cmasten
yup, a pair of Rhino Ramps and there is plenty of room underneath. They make getting the LS up, a breeze.

I also took this time to drop in two new air filters and a cabin filter, about $100.00 in total for all the filters, the Full Synth Oil and Filter kit. About an hour of my time and I updated the Lexus Owners link and am good to go now for some time.

Also Im with Burnaby... do this yourself its simple and the piece of mind is priceless. I could totally tell that the dealer just half a$$ed this last time... I want it done right and I want ALL the gaskets and washers replaced each time.
Can this be done without the ramps? I usually back my previous cars half way out of the garage, rear dips down a bit, allowing room for me to scoot under the front of the car. Will this work with my 460 or is the filter, etc., too tight for anything but ramps??? Thanks!
Old 12-26-09, 10:10 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kmaahs
Can this be done without the ramps? I usually back my previous cars half way out of the garage, rear dips down a bit, allowing room for me to scoot under the front of the car. Will this work with my 460 or is the filter, etc., too tight for anything but ramps??? Thanks!
I found it comfortable with the ramps, but not a lot of extra room. Without a jack or ramps you would not make it underneath. The filter area you need to get directly underneath as the Filter assembly sits up higher in the engine compartment, you have to be able to reach up to get at it through the access door that drops down.
Old 03-13-11, 08:14 AM
rcpromo1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any insight on the strange engine noise thread...a ticking noise after valve spring recall
Old 05-03-12, 05:59 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil Changes

I am a long time driver of Lexus vehicles. My 2012 LS460AWD uses 9.5 quarts of oil versus the 9.1 you state in the standard LS 460. Even though the maintenance manual states to change the oil every 5000 miles or 6 months my Lexus dealer is an "Elite Lexus Dealership" and they told me the manual was never updated for the LS and that the oil only needs to be changed once a year or every 10,000. 0w20 is the oil you are supposed to use, Engines have closer tolerances today and the thinner oil does have a slight effect on mileage. 5w20 can be used but if used should be replaced with 0w20 at next oil change. I also have a new Toyota 4RUNNER and that is the recommendation for the oil weight and the period between changes. Not going to hurt anything if you choose to do it earlier, but the above that the dealer stated meets the warranty requirements. They still want the 5000 service intervals to rotate the tires, check and inspect, but you do not need to use the dealer for that. You can do it yourself or have anyone else do it. Same goes for the 10,000 service.
Old 10-19-12, 09:19 AM
franktx1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think this is backwards. The 5W is for cold weather starting. The better oil choice for warm climates is 0W-20.
Frank
Dallas, TX
Old 05-20-15, 04:54 PM
duken52
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil & Filter Change on LS460- Video

Just found a very helpful video from carcarekiosk.com showing everything you need to know about oil & filter change on your LS460.

Here's the link:

http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/20...and_oil_filter

I simply don't understand why Toyota goes backward on the oil filter design.
This type of filter kit reminds me of my first used car, Toyota Corona, I bought for $850 back in 1975.
It was quite messy when changing the oil and filter since I did not know any better with just the car manual.

Toyota should design a disposable filter cartridge for simplicity just like other models.

Quick Reply: Oil Change on a LS460/LS460L..