LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Programming Homelink for Genie

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-14, 07:15 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by zazzn
need help with mien, I have a genie it just will not blink fast no matter what i do.... I've programmed my inlaws house to my car so I know i'm doing the right things when I press both buttons on the genie it will not blink fast.. I have it in intellicode one but it will just not program!? wtf... Any ideas
Most of us have the perception that the HomeLink in our cars is universally comparable. But, that's not reality. Sounds like you might be trying to get your car to "learn" a format that it does not recognize. Without knowing more about your situation it would be hard to give you specific recommendations.

I think the best thing for you to do is go to the HomeLink Internet site and check the instructions for your car/opener combination. That usually identifies any incompatibilities. HomeLink has a very competent support group and you should call them if you can't resolve your problem with the instructions. If that doesn't provide a resolution then try contacting the support group for your garage door opener's manufacturer.

Here is a link to the HomeLink Internet site:
http://www.homelink.com/home/welcome

One of the major causes of incompatibility has been the Garage Door Opener Industry's decision to adopt a new frequency to provide a channel with less interference. This article gives a good explanation of the challenges that has caused: http://www.facebook.com/notes/liftma...21439917914472

Last edited by jmcraney; 02-08-14 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-22-14, 12:48 PM
landflyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The training your Homelink in the car to use the same frequency (for lack of the proper term) as your garage door opener is the tricky part. The Homelink needs quite a long broadcast from your handheld remote to learn what frequency it will be using and some remotes just don't "send" long enough. You need one of the big clunky remotes with a 9 volt as they do not have a broadcast limit. Make sure your homelink and remote both say lit up until they are sync'ed.

You will know you are on the correct frequency when the Homelink canblink the light on the garage door opener. Then you are ready to climb the ladder (or use a broom handle) to start the opener learning process. And if you do not want your door opening and closing or to drive around the block while doing the first half, turn off your opener....
Old 10-02-16, 03:46 PM
Treazzz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homelink vs Genie

I found this site to be very helpful. Unlike a YouTube posted by Lexus and the owners Manual.

http://www.geniecompany.com/data/pro...rogramming.pdf
Old 10-06-16, 07:48 PM
LexiLexus1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@AlexAnja - Thanks for posting this helpful guide to programming the HomeLink garage door opener. This post by Johnny was by far the most helpful. The instructions on the Genie.com as well as the HomeLink webpages are both misinformed and lacking detail. By explaining that this is a TWO sequence procedure, where the learn button must be activated even if you use the programmed remote device, I was able to finally activate the HomeLink button on my ES350.

We will be consulting this forum page for any other issues we discover in exploring our recently acquired used Lexus. Thanks again!
Old 10-06-16, 08:13 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by jldodge
I just bought the LS460 ... great car. I am unable to program the Homelink for the Genie garage door openers. I have successfully programmed the 1999GS300, 2002 LS430, and a 2004 IS250 for the same garage door openers without any problem.

Since they are rolling codes, I had to use the "learning" button on the motor assembly to do the programming.

For some reason, the LS460 won't take the learning. I have reset (two outside buttons) numerous times; tried 2 then 3 quick depression-release sequences; and tried 2 and 3 depression-release sequences holding the buttons for 1-2 seconds before releasing. Needless to say I am frustrated.

Has anyone had any experience they can share? Are there other options I can try? Is there a "glitch" with the instructions or the car itself? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance ...
Make sure you hold the button until you see fast blinking light, not just blinking. Most mistakes are made releasing buttons too soon. Erasing code(two outside buttons), hold them down until light blinks at fast rate. After you hit the learning button from the GDO, you have 30 sec. to finish the learning. hold down the button until again the garage door moves(in this instant home link light blinks at fast rate). I have Genie screw drive GDO(Blue Max >> Power max 1500) All of them worked just fine. There are many Youtube you can watch or go to Home link site for more info.) Never had problem setting up Home link, Acura, Lexus, Audi... all works just fine)
Old 03-07-18, 08:51 AM
Slickie
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kind of an older thread, but my recent experience:

Htony pretty well nailed it, but I will add my 02cents; (2008 LS460 Programming to Chamberlain Liftmaster)
Programming homelink to an external device (garage door, gate, etc.) is a 2 step process. 1. Program the car's homelink transmitter (buttons in the car);
2. Program the external device receiver (garage door, etc.) to recognize the homelink transmitter signals.

(If the homelink buttons have been previously programmed, you probably need to "erase" the old codes before loading in the new codes. Hold the outside 2 buttons (1and 3) down simultaneously until blinking light goes fast. Then release both buttons. (The previous codes are now erased))

Step 1: If you have door opener fob, you now will program needed codes into the homelink transmitter. ( I have no history in doing this without a remote opener)
Depress the desired homelink button (it should be blinking slow). Hold the remote opener close to the homelink button.
Depress and hold the remote door opener until the homelink light blink rapidly.
Release both buttons.
You have now installed the code into homelink transmitter.

Step 2: Go to the external device "Learn button" and depress it once and release (Lite should stay on)
Within 30 seconds, scramble back to your car and depress the desired homelink button. Opener light may blink. (in my case, it did)
Wait a few seconds and test that the door/device operates properly when homelink button is depressed

There you go. Not as painful as you imagined. Unless it doesn't work. Thennnn, ugg, its always somethinggg.

Youtube by Chris Schmidtt: "Programming a homelink garage door "How to" is a good tutorial.
Old 03-07-18, 10:12 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

I just acquired a new-to-me 2010 LS460L, and had the same problem when trying to program my Homelink button to my garage door opener. No matter what I did, I could not get my car's Homelink system to "learn" the signal from my opener. Note that my garage door opener is brand new -- just had it installed a couple of months ago.

From researching on the Chamberlain web site, I came to the conclusion that the Homelink setup in older cars (like my 2010) are not directly compatible with the newest remote technology/frequencies. Fortunately, Chamberlain/Liftmaster sells an intermediary device that allows our older cars to be programmed to open the newer garage door openers. Here's a link to what I had to buy:
Amazon Amazon

This "bridge" device comes with a separate remote transmitter that can be easily programmed into the older cars' Homelink system. You then plug in the bridge device in your garage, and use the "Learn" button on your opener to sync up with the bridge device. Works perfectly! Hope this is useful info for others who are buying older LS's and trying to program them to newer openers...
Old 03-07-18, 11:49 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

When we moved roughly 7 months ago, our new home was built in 2002. It came with a brand of garage opener I'd never heard of: Wayne Dalton. My 08 did not want to work at all. But I read if you hold down buttons 1 and 3 on the homelink system it clears the codes. Once I did that, I was able to program the buttons. Not sure if that will help you, but it worked for me.
Old 03-11-18, 09:03 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
If you have two or three different garage door openers - I am talking about the electro mechanical device that is attached to the door - and they are all the same models, you can use one of the remotes to program all three buttons on your HomeLink..
This was a very useful tip. Thanks!

Coming from Ls430, this thread was very helpful. First I tried to program LS460L just like LS430 without even looking instructions but it did not work. Thanks to this thread eventually I was able to program homelink.
Old 03-11-18, 09:14 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by jldodge
I just bought the LS460 ... great car. I am unable to program the Homelink for the Genie garage door openers. I have successfully programmed the 1999GS300, 2002 LS430, and a 2004 IS250 for the same garage door openers without any problem.

Since they are rolling codes, I had to use the "learning" button on the motor assembly to do the programming.

For some reason, the LS460 won't take the learning. I have reset (two outside buttons) numerous times; tried 2 then 3 quick depression-release sequences; and tried 2 and 3 depression-release sequences holding the buttons for 1-2 seconds before releasing. Needless to say I am frustrated.

Has anyone had any experience they can share? Are there other options I can try? Is there a "glitch" with the instructions or the car itself? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance ...
It is two step job. First Home link has to learn the remote fob confirmed by fast blinking light. Next GDO has to learn the signal from Home Link. Because it is rolling code, you keep pushing Home link button
every 2 secs. or so. Because code is rolling it has to sync when right code comes around. Don't push and hold the button, keep pushing every 2 secs. until door moves(down or up) Now code is learned by GDO.
Old 03-15-18, 10:32 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
I just acquired a new-to-me 2010 LS460L, and had the same problem when trying to program my Homelink button to my garage door opener. No matter what I did, I could not get my car's Homelink system to "learn" the signal from my opener. Note that my garage door opener is brand new -- just had it installed a couple of months ago.

From researching on the Chamberlain web site, I came to the conclusion that the Homelink setup in older cars (like my 2010) are not directly compatible with the newest remote technology/frequencies. Fortunately, Chamberlain/Liftmaster sells an intermediary device that allows our older cars to be programmed to open the newer garage door openers. Here's a link to what I had to buy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This "bridge" device comes with a separate remote transmitter that can be easily programmed into the older cars' Homelink system. You then plug in the bridge device in your garage, and use the "Learn" button on your opener to sync up with the bridge device. Works perfectly! Hope this is useful info for others who are buying older LS's and trying to program them to newer openers...
This is the case here. The newer Chaimbelain/Liftmaster, and OEM brands like Sears, etc, (around 2008-2011 on) won't work with many older homelink systems. You need the Chaimberlain wireless bridge (which Chaimberlain were giving away free for a while - never hurts to call them). Genie say that their current systems will work with all homelink devices - I haven't tested this personally.
Old 03-18-18, 11:46 AM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Don't forget to replace that battery in the remote.

I experimented last weekend trying to program single step (didn't work with my Genie) and double step. I knew about the suggestions about replacing the battery in your existing remote first, but didn't have one so tried anyway. The remote worked on the garage door, and would make the homelink buttons blink like they were programmed in stage one, but stage two wouldn't complete.

Replaced the battery in remote today and tried again. Everything worked quickly this time.

So for my Genie, it was a 2 step process, AND that battery in the remote must be fresh.
Old 09-02-18, 09:15 AM
Exec
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2014 LS460. The directions from AlexusAnja worked perfectly!

Last edited by Exec; 09-02-18 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-02-18, 01:10 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Which garage door opener?
Old 09-03-18, 04:25 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny

SEQUENCE II

6. Exit car and access the door opener's "Learn" button. Briefly depress the "Learn" button until its LED turns on.

7. Within the allotted 30 second period, return to the car and depress the chosen keypad button briefly one time.

The opener's lights will flash confirming the pairing of the garage door opener, and the car's Homelink.

Test the operation the Homelink. You're done!
Thanks, this helped me. Pushed the button, walked out the car that was in front of the garage, held the button like 3 seconds, it blinked on the opener and my the LED on my car.

Just so happened today I was going to try this and found this thread...

Edit: Now I just need to fix my Garage door opener... It just closes and re-opens. I know a tweak type thing, just need the time with it.

Last edited by DavidinCT; 09-07-18 at 06:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Programming Homelink for Genie