LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wind Noise 460 (Not 460L) in Windows

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-07, 08:07 PM
exBMWowner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect if you move to Southern California you won't have this problem, as you will never find a freeway that lets you drive 55 miles per hour anyway.

Seriously though, I have always noticed a little wind noise on both my LS430 and the LS460L. I just thought that was as good as it gets. While the Lexus is super quiet, it still has some noise in the cabin. It's not perfect. I don't think there is anything wrong. It's just as good as the technology is for now, in spite of it being an $80K car.
Old 02-15-07, 08:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by GS2006
They claim that some of the rattles are the cause of the retaining clips on the windshield. They have TSB for a long time calling for removal however they continue to ship with these pins.
There is one conclusion. Just wait until your dash starts to rattle.. Think the wind noise is bad. GS 60k car does the same..
really... and for how long have they been in production and when was the tsb? This is brand new car... production changes need to be tested before applied. They are not done in 5 days...
Old 02-15-07, 09:38 PM
acecert
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by exBMWowner
I suspect if you move to Southern California you won't have this problem, as you will never find a freeway that lets you drive 55 miles per hour anyway.

Seriously though, I have always noticed a little wind noise on both my LS430 and the LS460L. I just thought that was as good as it gets. While the Lexus is super quiet, it still has some noise in the cabin. It's not perfect. I don't think there is anything wrong. It's just as good as the technology is for now, in spite of it being an $80K car.
I live in Southern CA...and it makes the wind noise whenever going 55 mph or higher. Surprised you have the noise in the 460L...didn't test drive any of those but heard from the dealer it wasn't an issue and the guy who previously owned my 460 went to the 460L just for this very reason to get away from the wind noise. When we're talking about wind noise (just for a reminder) it is the wind noise coming from the driver's and passenger's front windows...as if they are slightly cracked open...but they aren't.
Old 02-16-07, 05:03 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Mallory H.
I know how to test for wind noise so when it warms up I will run a check and see what I come up with but I have a feeling it may be the roof rail drip moldings.
Can you tell us how, please?
Old 02-17-07, 10:35 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Thank you. Those are great tips.
Old 02-18-07, 08:30 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
really... and for how long have they been in production and when was the tsb? This is brand new car... production changes need to be tested before applied. They are not done in 5 days...
All,
http://www.lexushelp.com/Ownership/B...V/NV005-06.htm

GS430 and others
http://lexushelp.com/Ownership/Bulle...V/NV004-06.pdf

You’re funny, five days, try heading toward 5 years. This is not limited to the LS. The dates on these are nov 06 but that is only because they have updated them over time to add cars, years and procedure information. I first found out about this particular TSB December 05 a few months after I purchased my GS 430. Oh, and if my memory serves me right, the LS 460 was still on the drawing board and maybe a secret prototype or two. I already know why they have not rectified the issue, do you? This is only one example for you.. I keep waiting to see the posts about the rattle that sounds like a blown speaker to show up on this board. I drove 460L in low 30 deg F weather and it sounded like it has the makings for the rattle. Hope I’m wrong.. BTW, in my opinion this TSB does not do much unless those pins are rubbing the metal slot the fit into. Hope this turns on the light bulb.
Old 03-02-07, 11:41 AM
2007es350
Lead Lap

We know that you are going to get a certain amount of wind noise with any car but sometimes the wind noise can be to the extreme due to a poor door or window seal and somtimes it can be a molding on a car such as the roof rail drip moldings it could even be the mirrors which if it is you can not correct it.
In the case of the LS460 it has been said that it is the widows. Some are saying that they do not seal as well as the windows of the LS460L. Here is how you can find out or at least rule out the wind noise problem, first lets start with the windows. Take some masking tape and tape along the outside edge of the window frame and the glass, the window is completely sealed now, drive the car and see what happens if you get no wind noise or very litlle wind noise or you notice a change for the better than we are looking at the window seal. REMOVE THE TAPE BEFORE TRYING TO ROLL DOWN YOUR WINDOWS.
You can tape up the roof drip rail moldings to see if you notice any difference in wind noise but there will be very little that can be done if that is the source.
You can tape along the door to test for door seal but you will need somone else to tape up the drivers side door with you inside, again if you notice a change in wind noise the problem may be door seals.
I believe if there is a problem Lexus will find it and address it
The only reason that I have not performed this test yet is the wind noise that
I am getting has really not been a big issue and it has been to cold and to much snow.
Has anyone tested for the source of the wind noise?
Old 03-02-07, 07:40 PM
IndyJeff
Rookie

I really think it is the windows not sealing tightly into the window frame. I was drving in the rain the other day and notice I could not hear any wind noise at all and I believe it was due to the fact that water collected around the widow seals was acting like a seal. I am just hearing to many people say that windows in the LS460L seem to be better than those in the LS460. I can not understand why Lexus did not use the same glass in both cars if that is in deed is the case. Due to weather conditions I still have not had a chance to tape the windows off but looks like nice weather next week so I will do it than but I think I got my answer the other day when it rained. With all of the concerns I just can not see how Lexus can not address this issue.
Please let us know what you find. I can hear it too, but it's not all that bothersome to me.

Jeff
Old 03-03-07, 09:31 AM
IndyJeff
Rookie

I agree the wind noise is not that disturbing but I don't think you should be hearing it in this car as I have stated it is louder than what it was in my LS430. What is amazing to me is that I do not hear this type of wind noise in our Malibu.
I saw the picture that you posted of your car and I think it is real sharp, the Teleios wheels look real nice against that grey finish. At first after putting the Teleios wheels on my car I thought big mistake but after cleaning the car up and clean tires the wheels look great. In that the wheel has a black chrome look they are not to appealing when dirty more so than regular chrome.
By the way, I also purchased my car from Tom Wood. I see your car came with the Bridgestone EL42 as ours did also. I had Dunlops on the LS430 and I am curious to know how the Dunlops are on the LS460. Although my wife is an Bridgestone Firestone Employee I think the EL42 is a nice tire but not as nice as a couple of other tires that they make but unfortunately not in the 235-50-18V size.
Looks like we got some more snow..................
My favorite part of the polished rims is that they match the chrome stripe that runs along the bottom side of the LS, and of course the grille of the car. It just sort of ties it all together, at least when it's clean (which has been a total of about 2 days since I got it a few weeks ago!).

I'm not much of a tire guy, but these tires seem pretty good. They're very quiet, and seem to perform well, even on snowy roads.

Have you mentioned the wind noise to Tom Wood service yet? I'll probably bring it up when I bring it in for its first service in a few months, but I don't think it warrants a visit on its own.

Jeff
Old 03-03-07, 09:02 PM
JessePS

Originally Posted by dssxxxx
No noise.....whatever the speed.

Less noise than my 04 LS. Can hardly hear the snows.
now thats a golden comment
Old 03-05-07, 10:56 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Hi guys - just visiting from the ES350 forum and saw this issue. We've been dealing with wind noise issues since day #1 on some cars - with both Driver and Passenger windows being the problem areas. To date there is no fix or TSIB from Lexus..... after 10+ months.

We have however pretty much worked it out ourselves here at CL. See if this offers any assistance to identify the areas and source of your wind noise.
Old 03-08-07, 04:54 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Wind noise is drivers window

I also have wind noise in the drivers window of my LS 460 short wheel base.
I took it to the dealer last week. They did a field fix and tried to seal off the mirror. They said the noise was caused by the drain hole in the mirror and that's what was causing turbulence. I still have the wind noise. They're waiting for a service bulletin to come out and will call me when they have more information. It sounds like the window is not sealing more than an issue with the mirror in my opinion. They tell me Lexus says it's caused by the mirror. I only hear it in the drivers side window.

Craig
Old 03-11-07, 10:55 AM
Lex460
Driver School Candidate

Angry wind noise & brake squeal

I have the same problem and brought the car back to the dealer.

It's a little bit better, but the noise is still there.

I'm not happy and very upset by the dealer's work and answers:
They adjusted the window strip.
and told me : due to the "aerodynamic design" of the vehicule, air flow is close to the surface of the body and creates a "normal" "buffeting" noise!

Come on Lexus! You don't test your cars before putting them on the market!

The brake squeal is "normal" too if listening to their bull... It's due to the semi-metallic content of "modern" brake pad material, frequency and duration of the noise will vary according to outside temperature, humidity, and personal driving habits...as well as Lexus hability to NOT test their cars long enough before they reach dealerships showrooms!

Come on Lexus! This is a $70K car and it's your Flagship.

It should be perfect and I cannot accept blablabla regarding the 1st year model.

So, I called Lexus Customer Service and complained.
I will get these 2 issues resolved. If not fixed quickly, I'm decided to apply for the lemon law.
This is really unacceptable for a LS 460.
Old 03-11-07, 10:03 PM
feather3
Driver School Candidate

This wind issue is very real..i test drove car 460 on sat and told salespeason there is problem with driver side windon seal..this was before i found this issue in this site..i first sat in passenger and did not hear it then i drove and found lots of noise..also seems glove box rattle as well
Old 03-12-07, 08:39 AM
2007es350
Lead Lap

I'm purchasing an ls460 in a few weeks and I'm concerned about the wind noise too. When I test drove an ls, it also had the wind noise. I'm waiting for my car to arrive and hope that it doesn't also have this wind noise problem. Are people complaining to Lexus Corp about this wind issue?

Quick Reply: Wind Noise 460 (Not 460L) in Windows