LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wind noise in LS460

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-06, 04:46 PM
twnflyr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind noise in LS460

Has anyone had an issue with wind noise coming from the front doors? I have about 700 miles on the car and am starting to notice wind noise that I would consider excessive based on what I have read from different reviews.
Old 12-05-06, 05:42 PM
VelvetBlue
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I notice some wind noise at freeway speeds but I wouldn't call it excessive. If you think it's more than it should be then maybe you should have the service dept. take a look at it.
Old 12-05-06, 07:52 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not that I own one but I noticed all sorts of noises I wasn't used to when I had my GS400... it was by far the quietest car I'd owned to date, and I made it even quieter by adding pretty extensive sound deadening to it. Sometimes I'd hear a noise and be bothered by how 'loud' it was but then I'd quietly clear my throat and hear that as loudly and clearly as if I were in a library, almost, so it helped me regain perspective on the fact that if the car weren't so quiet, I wouldn't even notice that noise.

Noise is definitely a very relative thing - the perception of it depends on the average noise level of everything else around you.

With that said you still could have a problem and I'm sure your lexus dealer could answer that for you, if not for maybe a quick test drive in another LS460 to compare.
Old 12-06-06, 01:14 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yup, that's the conundrum of having a quiet car...the noises that are there are indeed magnified. Oh so sweet when it's the sound system, oh so annoying when it's some silly sound like the things in the side pockets or something.
Old 12-07-06, 05:36 AM
dfiorito
Pole Position

I have not really noticed any noise at any speed. Even my passengers commented on the quietness.

I would bring it into the service dept....
Old 12-07-06, 06:20 AM
Hartmonstr
Driver School Candidate

I've noticed that since the engine turns so slowly at highway speeds, and the car is engineered for quiet, the only sounds that are left to hear are tire howl and wind noise. You're hearing noise that would be drowned out in other cars.

It's amazing how little you have to strain your voice in conversation at 70 mph. Put in your favorite CD and enjoy the ride.

Last edited by Hartmonstr; 12-07-06 at 06:21 AM. Reason: sp
Old 12-07-06, 06:34 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing unusual in mine either. Quiet as a mouse.
Old 12-07-06, 09:09 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't have very much seat time in the new 460, but that was one thing that I commented to the salesman about during my test drive -- that the wind noise around the driver's side window/door struck me as a little greater than in my LS430, and maybe even more than my GX470.... I thought it was strange....
Old 12-07-06, 09:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
I don't have very much seat time in the new 460, but that was one thing that I commented to the salesman about during my test drive -- that the wind noise around the driver's side window/door struck me as a little greater than in my LS430, and maybe even more than my GX470.... I thought it was strange....
maybe that's coz' everything else is a lot quieter on the ls460 like enigma said, once everything else is turned down, you start the hear the slightest
Old 12-07-06, 11:20 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its very strange. My two 1G LS' are very quiet, but sometimes i get used to it and my hearing becomes more perceptive of everything else. All you need to do is have a reality check in another quiet car like a camry and realize just how refined your car really is.

One thing i don't like about my car is that it has made me too sensitive. I can't even imagine what a LS460 must be like in day to day driving.
Old 12-07-06, 04:13 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the newest issue of car and driver they mention a problem with the window seal that they say causes major wind noise take it to a dealer so they can check it out.
Old 12-07-06, 07:34 PM
hendjaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
In the newest issue of car and driver they mention a problem with the window seal that they say causes major wind noise take it to a dealer so they can check it out.
C/D used a preproduction car which is referenced in its comment on the window seals. No such issue with my production 460L.

Also the statement it made about the level of wind noise was a comparison to the extreme quiet of the interior. Still, if someone experiences an unusual level, as indicated have it checked out.

Last edited by hendjaz; 12-07-06 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-07-06, 09:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by omarg
Its very strange. My two 1G LS' are very quiet, but sometimes i get used to it and my hearing becomes more perceptive of everything else. All you need to do is have a reality check in another quiet car like a camry and realize just how refined your car really is.

One thing i don't like about my car is that it has made me too sensitive. I can't even imagine what a LS460 must be like in day to day driving.
well i consider my sc430 pretty darn quiet. every time i drive that car for the weekend, i get back into my gs400 and i wonder why it's so much noiser

but then i get into my coworker's car and figure my gs is still very quiet
Old 12-08-06, 06:20 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
maybe that's coz' everything else is a lot quieter on the ls460 like enigma said, once everything else is turned down, you start the hear the slightest
I don't think everything else is really quieter on the 460 than the 430. I would agree if we were comparing an IS300 or Camry, but the 430 is definitely not so loud that you couldn't hear wind noise. I'd like to put a dB meter in both cars (430 and 460) back to back. I wouldn't be surprised to find the 430 as quiet or perhaps a dB or so quieter than the 460. A stock 430 on the right tires is dang near silent (as cars go) if the roads are smooth.
Old 12-08-06, 09:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well let's do stock tires on both, you can do a lot to make the car quieter than stock, but what come stock is what count imho.

same with suspensions and such. your ls430 handles better coz' of your setup. stock to stock? i choose ls460 handling for sure

Quick Reply: Wind noise in LS460