LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Loading music onto HDD

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-06, 12:51 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no iPod docking like on BMW or Scion, they have said they are avoiding specialization to prevent obsolescence in the future.
Old 11-29-06, 12:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by unknown2
Is it possible to put a bigger hard drive (100GB for example)??
i am just curious though, what's the point of having a larger hdd when the current one already holds so many songs?
Old 11-29-06, 07:48 AM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know bigger is always better, but I have only used 11% capacity of my hard drive and I downloaded at least 15 CDs so far.
Old 11-29-06, 09:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by dfiorito
I know bigger is always better, but I have only used 11% capacity of my hard drive and I downloaded at least 15 CDs so far.
yeah that's my point. even at 150 cds that's a lot. by then probably there are a lot of songs you don't listen to anymore
Old 11-29-06, 11:30 AM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah that's my point. even at 150 cds that's a lot. by then probably there are a lot of songs you don't listen to anymore
I am agreeing with you.

There is so much to listen to in this car that a bigger hard drive would not really accomplish anything.
Old 12-06-06, 02:47 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Wow, 150 music CDs? That's practically the whole home collection! Does it take long to load it into the HDD? How is the sound quality?
Old 12-06-06, 06:33 PM
acerfan
Rookie

Originally Posted by enigma888
Wow, 150 music CDs? That's practically the whole home collection! Does it take long to load it into the HDD? How is the sound quality?
this is off topic but can you stop bumping up inactive threads? you always bring up topics that are dated, it's getting a little annoying as I see that I'm always reading old junk because you keep bringing them up.
Old 12-06-06, 11:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well since it has to rip from audio cd, it can't be super fast i suppose. that's why i am not really a fan of this method. i would rather just burn a mp3 cd and feed it in (700mb can store quite some mp3 already)

sound quality i believe there are two settings, one with higher bitrate

Originally Posted by acerfan
this is off topic but can you stop bumping up inactive threads? you always bring up topics that are dated, it's getting a little annoying as I see that I'm always reading old junk because you keep bringing them up.
you have the options of ignoring his posts or take it to pm, but i don't see anything wrong with what enigma is doing. the post before his was done on 11/29, that was last wed. today is 12/6, it's just a week
Old 12-06-06, 11:53 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Bigger is always better, if we were content we'd all be driving Camry's.
I don't think it'd be that hard to install a new harddrive, I'll talk to my service advisor if they can get me a copy of the current part installed and I can see if there is anything special about it.

256kbps and 128kbps are the only options you have for ripping the music, both which are kind of shameful considering the level of quality of the speakers. You'd think they'd have the option of lossless... even if it was proporiety seeing how it's a one way kind of transfer.
Old 12-07-06, 05:28 AM
dfiorito
Pole Position

If it was lossless, then 8mb would not carry so much.

I have copied quite a few CD's and they average around 5 to 10 minutes. My screen say "fast copy" which probably means I am copying at the lower rate. Sounds good to me.

As far as replying to an old thread, I would think if it continues contributing to the thread, fine. But if you are just going to say, I agree or something that just brings it forwards, then don't.
Old 12-07-06, 06:16 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

If it was lossless, then 8mb would not carry so much.
Sorry I'm not sure what you mean.

With harddrive prices plummeting and with such an advanced stereo system, I'm curious as to why Lexus doesn't offer a 'lossless' option for us Audiophile (or to just extract the most out of the car-audio system.
Old 12-07-06, 09:49 AM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vraa
Sorry I'm not sure what you mean.

With harddrive prices plummeting and with such an advanced stereo system, I'm curious as to why Lexus doesn't offer a 'lossless' option for us Audiophile (or to just extract the most out of the car-audio system.
I would think that the less compression, the more hard disk space each song would require. If you are copying without any loss, then each song would be about 4 to 5 megs. Compressed, each song could be closer to 1 meg. Most of the hard drive is dedicated to the NAV system and the audio part is only getting 8 gigs. I still think 8 gigs is quite a bit for music.
Old 12-07-06, 09:51 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Originally Posted by dfiorito
I would think that the less compression, the more hard disk space each song would require. If you are copying without any loss, then each song would be about 4 to 5 megs. Compressed, each song could be closer to 1 meg. Most of the hard drive is dedicated to the NAV system and the audio part is only getting 8 gigs. I still think 8 gigs is quite a bit for music.
You are right to an extent.
I believe most lossless songs are around 15mb or so.
Compress they are one third that size.

8 gigs is not that much when you really get down to it. 80gb iPods exist and 100gb might be around the corner.
Old 12-07-06, 12:21 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
you have the options of ignoring his posts or take it to pm, but i don't see anything wrong with what enigma is doing. the post before his was done on 11/29, that was last wed. today is 12/6, it's just a week
Thanks rominl! In my view this is a valid topic to continue, there are still interesting things to learn. And it hasn't been that long.
Old 12-07-06, 12:24 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

no iPod docking like on BMW or Scion, they have said they are avoiding specialization to prevent obsolescence in the future.
All the crap they are putting in cars is obsolete in months, not years. Not having an iPOD adapter is rediculous. The Japs do not want an American company/product in their cars. iPOD has 90% market share. Go figure. Having to bring CD's to the car one by one is lame at best.

I have all my music on a tiny 8GB nano. It goes wherever I go and plugs right into my bimmer with full head unit integration.

Once you load all the music in your car, how do you keep it updated? Not a very effective way of doing things especially in an $80k car.

The hard drive Lexus is offering is something they should have done 5 years ago, not now.

Last edited by sdbrandon; 12-07-06 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Loading music onto HDD