LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 Navigation Override

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-06, 06:54 AM
donaldm823
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry LS 460 Navigation Override

We need an override for allowing navigation entries with "car in motion". The previous "tricks" do not work. If anyone has figured it out for the LS version (2007) please post. As more and more of us get these new cars-hoping someone will figure it out.

The volume button sequence for 2006 does not work. The 2007 Toyotas have a DVD vice HDD (hard drive), so that sequence also will not work.

I did try a button sequence from a Toyota thread (hold down the INFO button while cycling the lights on/off 3 times). All I get is a service menu-did not see an override button-but maybe getting close??

Last edited by donaldm823; 10-30-06 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-30-06, 10:10 AM
hendjaz
Pole Position

Sorry I don't have the solution either but the override option, at least using the old sequence, disappeared with the advent of the Nav DVD version 6.1 which most of the newer 07 Lexus cars have. Some early 07s still had the 5.1 version which included the override sequence. See the GS forum for detailed discussion on this, particularly from Sonartech. My new LS does not have the override function either. Hopefully it is elsewhere in the software and some one will discover or disclose it.

There had also been another similar shortcut to disable the seatbelt warning bells that also does not work in the new LS. The good news though is that this now appears to be an LPS option for the LS so the annoying warning bells can be turned off at the dealer. I always use my seatbelts so don't need the reminder bells.
Old 10-30-06, 10:53 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry but don't the car companies realistically WANT you to be able to use your nav while driving, but they're REQUIRED to have the nannies so that you won't sue them for you being stupid or somebody else sue them for them creating an in-car distraction that caused one of their cars to hit somebody?

You'd think they would make the hack easy as pie. Maybe have a single wire in the engine bay that, if cut/removed, eliminates the lawyer screen and movement/lock function permanently.

Then specifically and clearly state that the fuse should never be removed, driving without it is not Lexus' liability, etc, etc.

That way if you choose to cut/remove it, you'd absolved Lexus of all responsibility, you're happy, and they're lawsuit-free.
Old 10-30-06, 11:02 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
I'm sorry but don't the car companies realistically WANT you to be able to use your nav while driving, but they're REQUIRED to have the nannies so that you won't sue them for you being stupid or somebody else sue them for them creating an in-car distraction that caused one of their cars to hit somebody?
Sorry, but it's not required to have the nannies, as many have mentioned before other car makers do not have a lockout on the their systems. I can think of Honda/Acura for one. Their Nav allows you to type while driving with no problem. As matter of fact I think there was no lockouts on their system for anything. Was there a law passed this year or something?
Old 10-30-06, 11:18 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nate579
Sorry, but it's not required to have the nannies, as many have mentioned before other car makers do not have a lockout on the their systems. I can think of Honda/Acura for one. Their Nav allows you to type while driving with no problem. As matter of fact I think there was no lockouts on their system for anything. Was there a law passed this year or something?
Maybe you're new to the US...... but people here will and pretty much CAN sue for anything and any reason you give them to do something stupid that causes them to be injured or injure somebody else.

Those nannies are a way for Lexus to cover their ***, more or less. They don't think it's going to enhance their cars and make people want to buy even more of them - they just don't want to get dragged into court every time somebody says they provided a distraction that caused the person to wreck.

I suppose Honda/Acura thinks that the disclaimer screens that you have to agree to every time are enough - but I bet they're also more open to potential lawsuit.
Old 10-30-06, 04:09 PM
scott rand
Driver School Candidate

I agree that it would be great to have an override for the opening warning screen -it is a pain. The good news is that the voice input for the nav, including the ability to set destinations on the fly, are vastly improved. Only messed with it a little so far but the voice input has worked great in my limited trials.
Old 10-30-06, 07:34 PM
Dlau
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

I am new to Lexus, and am looking forward to purchase a LS460L. I am not very knowledge to the Lexus Navi system. Can some 460 owners please tell me how the Navi disable its input while the vehicle is in motion. Exactly what the system locks out and what you can still use. For instant, can you still use voice command to start a routing to go HOME or a memorized destination? Beside the Navi, when the car is in motion, can the touch screen be used for other functions such as climate control, sound system...? Thanks for educating me.

Dlau
Old 10-30-06, 08:21 PM
scott rand
Driver School Candidate

the most aggravating thing is that you still need to press the "I agree" button before you use the nav - moving or not. when moving pretty much all of the button functionality of choosing a destination is disabled. You can however, input a destination using the voice commands. You input special points such as "home" or you can input an address by walking through the voice menu - set destination, choose state, choose city, choose street, choose number. I found it worked pretty well. The button functionality of the audio and climate control are available on those screens while moving or you can use the voice commands. Hope this helps.