LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 OWNERS: Please share your advanced parking system REAL WORLD experience here:

Old 10-28-06, 05:44 PM
brt3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSsnarl
Why do I feel like I'll be able to work this feature from the first time! Why? It looks extreemly simple!
Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. My wife is an engineer and I grew up on a farm; as a result we are quite good with machines and electronics. There are times when the system recognizes the space perfectly; in that case you touch the button and go. In other cases you have to adjust the target, and the added time involved makes it impractical in typical traffic. Even if the system works perfectly it is still slower than when I park on my own. On some low-traffic day I'd like to try it in "real" traffic; I'm interested in figuring out how it handles curbs, for example...
Old 10-29-06, 10:34 PM
brt3
Driver

Default Automobile Magazine: Auto-Park problems...

Automobile magazine has a very funny clip posted where they attempt to use the "self-park" feature and fail miserably. I think the whole thing is overplayed, but it does point out that the "back-in" feature is much more problematic than the "parallel" mode...
http://blogs.automobilemag.com/10024...eo-/index.html
Old 10-30-06, 05:20 AM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Default 3 outa 6

So far I have tried it about 6 times with different people in the car.
I got it right 3 times. Those people were amazed and the 3 times I did not get it right, those people laughed.

The veridct? It is a party trick that will amaze everyone as long as you get it right.

In reality, it takes to long and too much consentration is used as you kind of forget your surroundings and what is going on around you. Cars are coming by, people are walking by and you do not see them because you are trying to let your car park itself.

Not really for me.
Old 10-30-06, 12:06 PM
exBMWowner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Self parking video from Automobile Magazine

Has anyone seen this "self parking video"? It's pretty humorous.

http://www.automobilemag.com/multime...ark/index.html
Old 10-30-06, 08:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by exBMWowner
Has anyone seen this "self parking video"? It's pretty humorous.

http://www.automobilemag.com/multime...ark/index.html
That was hilarious. This has got to be up there with most useless feature for the money EVER.

But on a MUCH brighter note, the car seriously looks and moves (when DRIVEN BY THE DRIVER) AWESOME in that video!!!

(I right clicked and said zoom full screen by the way instead of looking at it in that tiny box on the web page.
Old 10-31-06, 09:42 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm.. shouldn't it be an "assist"??

Therefore, it isn't expected that you use it all the time but maybe only in tight spots where it would've taken you just as long to park it manually.
Old 11-01-06, 07:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I think it should be called the Tokyo Parking Feature because there people are polite and would wait or go around you as your LS and you are parallel parking.

In Manhattan? Fuggedaboudit!
Old 11-01-06, 08:35 AM
brt3
Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I think it should be called the Tokyo Parking Feature because there people are polite and would wait or go around you as your LS and you are parallel parking.
As I understand it this option was designed specifically for Tokyo traffic, and has been used on one or two Toyota "city cars" for about two years now -- to get the bugs out for the Lexus, I hope...
Old 11-02-06, 12:37 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Video was funny. Indeed, I must admit, the car looks really good in the automobile mag video.
Old 11-02-06, 12:39 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by brt3
As I understand it this option was designed specifically for Tokyo traffic, and has been used on one or two Toyota "city cars" for about two years now -- to get the bugs out for the Lexus, I hope...
+1

I remember seeing a Toyota Prius able to park it self a few months back.
Old 08-03-07, 01:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by cariesfree
It'd be interesting to see it parallel park in SF where quite often we have to bump into the cars in the front and behind to get in. Will the LS be able to do this?
i think you need like 3 ft in front and behind in order for the system to work.

with the sf street setup? it probably doesn't even have a green box for you
Old 08-03-07, 01:32 AM
mmorozov
Driver

When I was looking at this car at the dealership, the dealer couldn't make it work. So I had to figure it out myself and show it to the dealer. Another thing they learned from me, was how to turn off the stupid navigation prompt. Initially they said it couldn't be done.

The self-parking feature works as advertised for me (I only use parallel parking mode). You just need to learn to position the car properly. After that it only takes me an extra second or two to click on the buttons and engage the auto-parking.

The only problem I can see is that the speed of backing up is too slow. The car practically stops and barely moves. I usuall press the accelerator and finish parking myself when the car is on the right trajectory.

I am pretty good at parallel parking without any automatic help. But I like this feature and I am actually using it.
Old 08-03-07, 02:10 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmorozov
Another thing they learned from me, was how to turn off the stupid navigation prompt. Initially they said it couldn't be done.
OK, you've got our attention, spill...
Old 08-03-07, 04:47 AM
ikey78
Driver

Originally Posted by Burnaby
OK, you've got our attention, spill...
To turn off the voice prompt, press the menu button next to the Nav screen then "Setup" then set "Voice recognition guidance" to the off position.

If you do this, when you push the voice button you get a simple beep rather than a voice prompting you to enter a command.
Old 08-10-07, 02:00 PM
farmerjoe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
That was hilarious. This has got to be up there with most useless feature for the money EVER.

But on a MUCH brighter note, the car seriously looks and moves (when DRIVEN BY THE DRIVER) AWESOME in that video!!!

(I right clicked and said zoom full screen by the way instead of looking at it in that tiny box on the web page.
I wonder if they took the video at 4:20 on purpose?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS 460 OWNERS: Please share your advanced parking system REAL WORLD experience here: