LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

went to lexus event, got more information to share

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-06, 05:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default went to lexus event, got more information to share

hey everyone. first of all here's my review of the whole event including driving review on the LS, S, and 7, read #244 and onwards if you want

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225690

here are more info on the new LS, not dramatic but anyway.

for pricing, they will annouce official pricing on 10/4, which means next wed. and then the car will officially on sale at dealerships on 10/20. so for those who have been asking about prices, another couple more days

i asked the rep about the passenger side memory seat. he had no answer and didn't notice it until i mentioned to him as well. he's curious why that's the case as well. so no answer on this one

very sadly, the variable suspension will NOT be available in ANY of the new LS thus far. it could come in later, maybe on the ls600hl, but at least now on paper it's not going to happen. sux, i think that will help a lot

for the trunk size, the reduce in size for the LS with rear seat upgrades or executive setup will get hit as we already know. the space taken is for the extra compressor and AC unit. the original trunk size is 18 cu ft. with the AC unit, it goes down to 12. that's 33% reduction.

the rear entertainment system only comes in the executive package, meaning only in 4 seat setup. so in the US there will be no ls460/460l in 5 seat configuration with the rear entertainment system

in the touring package, it will get 19s together with some other goodies. the front rotors will be 14.1" from what he told me, and the rear rotors are larger as well.

the cooler system is different between executive package and rear seat upgrade package. in the rear seat package, the cooler is in the back of the middle seat, just like the current ls430 UL. and in the executive package, the cooler would be right under the rear center console, 2nd level. the rep said he believes the cooler in the executive package is a bit larger. also, he believes that the new cooler setup, it will be using the real AC compressor to keep things cool, and not just blowing whatever air into the cool box.

for 600hl, he doesn't have much information. but he says so far what he heard is 6-7 months after ls460/460l launch, so probably around apr to may 07. he did mention that he heard about heads up display (!!!!!!!!) for the ls600hl. i don't know for sure since we haven't seen any pics so far, but that would be cool!!!!

and also he mentioned about the pre-collision system (new generation that we have seen here). so far it's only available in japan, he admitted, so it's not going to be on the ls460 and ls460l here. but he said it's possible that when the ls600hl comes in, it will be an option. yay!

i will add more if i miss something. here i want to thank jason for talking to me in depth about the car and provided me with all the detailed information!!!! thank you jason!!!
Old 09-30-06, 06:17 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sweet. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-30-06, 06:23 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So no new version of PCS, that sucks. These are all features that really set this car ahead of its time but we arent getting it. Looks like only new feature we are getting is the parking guide.
Old 10-01-06, 01:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by lexusls430
So no new version of PCS, that sucks. These are all features that really set this car ahead of its time but we arent getting it. Looks like only new feature we are getting is the parking guide.
well, i guess we can only hope for future release (next year?) or the ls600hl

moreover, another node. from what the pro driver told me, the ls460 (i forgot if he said the L or the normal one) has the shortest turning circle compared to the S class and the 7 series. the LS is sitting at around 37.4 ft turning radius, whereas it's about 40ft for the s class.

and he said the turning circle of the LS is actually better than that of the acura rsx. haven't confirmed, but if so that's remarkable, since the rsx is the smallest car in the acura lineup
Old 10-01-06, 08:37 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Seems like they always delay the PCS in USA with the new models, it's the same with the 3GS - you can't get the PCS for the first few months after it was launched correct ? Up here, the PCS was packaged into the fully loaded package with the ML/NAV & was available at the beginning(you can't even refuse it if you want the upgraded stereo)
I wonder if we will get the PCS with the LS460 right from the beginning like Japan . . . I just talked to a salesperson & info on the LS was scant, they don't have the prices yet, nor the kind of packages that they are getting in the first shipment even though the cars are already in town, just that Lexus won't show them to anyone until the sales training around the middle of the month.
Old 10-01-06, 08:39 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Just because the RSX is the smallest car does NOT mean that it would have the smallest turning radius of the Acura's. I recall when we bought our 2000 RX300. It was a small SUV and we expected it to have a small turning radius yet it was HUGE! As a matter of a fact, that was one of the reasons we moved to the GX470, it had a MUCH smaller turning radius.
Old 10-01-06, 08:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

FWD turning radius is usually much bigger than RWD.
Old 10-01-06, 09:45 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Turning Circle curb to curb.....

for the LS460 is 35.4 feet and for the 460L 36.0 feet. The other cars in its class: The Audi A8 at 41.0 feet and the A8L at 41.7 feet, the BMW 750i at 39.7 feet and the 750Li at 41.3 feet, The Mercedes S550 comes in a 40.0 feet. That's why they are called luxo barges....Lexus wins again.

Rock
Old 10-01-06, 03:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Rockville
for the LS460 is 35.4 feet and for the 460L 36.0 feet. The other cars in its class: The Audi A8 at 41.0 feet and the A8L at 41.7 feet, the BMW 750i at 39.7 feet and the 750Li at 41.3 feet, The Mercedes S550 comes in a 40.0 feet. That's why they are called luxo barges....Lexus wins again.

Rock
ah very interesting info there rock, seems like a bit different from the numbers i got, but i guess we come to the same conclusion about the new LS. with a car of this size, being able to turn quick and easily is always the key!
Old 10-01-06, 05:21 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

One of the reason for the turning radius is the electric steering.
Old 10-01-06, 09:15 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

One of the reason for the turning radius is the electric steering.
Can you explain? The turning radius is based on the wheelbase and mechanically how far the front wheels can turn before hitting their stops.

That's why FWD cars usually have a larger turning circle than RWD cars. The engine in most FWD cars is transverse vs. longitudinal for RWD cars. What that means is that the longest part of the engine rests east/west between the wheels not leaving as much space for all the rest of the hardware or room for the wheels to turn inwards into the engine bay. Not so for a RWD car.

Still the turning radius is excellent for the LS since the competitors are all RWD. My wife noticed this on her test drives of the 550 and the LS. She was spot on in the 550 and almost didn't make the turn. She overshot in the LS and when she turned she was sure it was going to result in a cone "death" but instead it just turned!
Old 10-01-06, 09:22 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Well the steering isnt directly connected to the wheels. Its all electronic so there is no real limit other than whats in the ecu, its not like regular rack and pinion. If i recall correctly at low speeds there are more turns to lock so its easier to park. But then again i could be wrong.
Old 10-01-06, 09:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Well the steering isnt directly connected to the wheels. Its all electronic so there is no real limit other than whats in the ecu, its not like regular rack and pinion. If i recall correctly at low speeds there are more turns to lock so its easier to park. But then again i could be wrong.
you are still missing the point. we are not talking about how many turns before you hit the "lock", we are talking about the mechanical limit how much the front wheels can turn each way. that's the factor controlling the turning radius, and that's dependent on the engine placement, fwd/rwd, etc...
Old 10-01-06, 10:30 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah.. electric power steering wouldn't affect the turning radius. All it does is replace the hydraulic pump to assist you when turning the steering wheel. The advantage is that it's "off" when you're going straight and only comes to assist when you're turning, unlike the hydraulic pump which is always on and always assisting even when going straight. This means less fuel is used in the electric version.

That's different than what rominl is describing as the physical limit the wheel is allow to be rotated before it'd hit the inner fender/wheel well.
Old 10-03-06, 07:04 AM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Oh well lol, i knew i could of been wrong. Id love to see how the electric steering feels.

Quick Reply: went to lexus event, got more information to share