Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

Why the Interest in "LUXURY HYBRID?"

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-06, 10:00 AM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why the Interest in "LUXURY HYBRID?"

AGAIN! I need help!

I just don't understand it! Paying $100,000 for a luxury car and worrying about saving a few pennies on gasoline. And, how many centuries would it take just to break even on the thousands extra you pay to get the hybrid?

I can see a hybrid on a small 3 wheeled car that you take to the grocery store 3 miles away. But, on a prestige, ego owned, luxury car ..??

I'm sure I'm alone on this, as usual. But, I don't even like the sound of "hybrid." Let alone own one. "Hybrid" almost seems sissy.

Now, if hybrid fanaticism has something to do with saving a spotted owl in isolated northern Washington, then I suppose I can see why "some" who are of that persuasion might want one.

But, beyond that, I need serious help to see why a red blooded luxury buyer would want one.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
Old 08-29-06, 10:18 AM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

it's more about prestige than anything...not about the money or gas

the technology and the fact that it says "hybrid" adds a lot of class
Old 08-29-06, 10:27 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jimm, I may be wrong, but the LS600H isn't about saving money at the pump or helping the environment. The LS600H is all about PERFORMANCE.

Lexus is showing off it's technological prowess. Instead of just cramming a v12 into the new LS, they're doing it with hybrid power. I've seen estimates that the LS600H may run 0-60 in less than 5 seconds. The fact that we'll get great gas mileage is just icing on the cake
Old 08-29-06, 10:43 AM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

And it's freaking cool and new. It's stuff no one else has.
Old 08-29-06, 11:13 AM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Default Opposites Attract

Luxury & Hybrid - Opposites Attract

Like dfkd said "And it's freaking cool and new. It's stuff no one else has"

That just about says it all.
Old 08-29-06, 11:30 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default First of all Big Jimm, It's because they can...

and the others can't do it. That is of course exclusivity which is the currency of Luxury and Country Clubs etc. Your time is valuable when you are wealthy and you won't be hanging out at the gas station as much or doing as much maintenance for that matter. You are consuming less and polluting less which eliminates the guilt and resentment at the same time. If everyone drove a hybrid then there wouldn't be smog to breathe anymore, that would surely be luxurious.

There is a new fully electric plug-in called the Tesla. This resembles a Lotus and does 0-60 in under 4 seconds. It runs on Lithium Ion batteries. It has a range of 250 miles and needs 3 hrs. to recharge. It costs 100K and the first one hundred are not only spoken for but fully paid for....

Rock
Old 08-29-06, 11:44 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LS600h proves that hybrids are not just about better fuel economy and being friendly to the Earth, which are great to begin with.

It is also about:
1. Attaining V12-like performance without sacrificing driving range, saving owners from wasting their valuable time (and their time is usually worth much more than a few pennies) on frequenting gas stations.
2. A much quieter cabin, ZERO noise at idle and low speeds.
3. Instant torque and massive passing power in all ranges, without having to wait for engine revs and/or downshifts.

Hope this helps you see hybrids from more angles.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 08-29-06 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-29-06, 12:46 PM
ic144
Driver

Lexus developed a Hybrid V8 to compete with the other V12 sedans from Mercedes and BMW.

It's common sense.

Why invest money in a gas hog V12 when you have invest money in a Hybrid V8 that has the same horsepower as a V12, but still sticking to 20MPG?

The LS600Hl was meant to save gas IN COMPARISION to it's competitors e.g. Mercedes S600 and BMW 760Li. And those cars MSRP from $120,000.
Old 08-29-06, 02:27 PM
VorghenRiz
Driver School Candidate

It also gives the well heeled and Hollywood elite a chance to show that they are Earth Conscious and environmentally friendly. Instead of showing up at glitzy premieres or restaurants in a Prius, they can now do so in a Lexus.
Old 08-29-06, 02:44 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think it's also the luxury of convenience. Sure you can afford to pay for the $$$ gas, but it saves you the time wasted of going to the pump more often. Time is money, but more than that time is precious--and the luxury of the hybrid is that you can spend more time (minutes really, but still) out of your week doing things other than the gas chore.
Old 08-29-06, 05:05 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Brand new technology, innovation, and amenities...

Hybrid or V12, Lexus is making a statement that is revolutionizing the automotive world. That, in itself, stands out as being a true Flagship vehicle...

VIVA LA REVOLUCION!!!
Old 08-29-06, 06:53 PM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

I assume this is a "plug-in" each night to recharge the batteries?

I don't keep my cars in a garage so, probably, I'd need to stretch out an extension cord each time. If it would happen to be raining, when I got home from the office, I'd keep a raincoat and umbrella handy. Each morning, then, if it's not raining, I'd simply unplug it, wind the extension back up, put it away, wash my hands and away I'd go!

(And, all the time, I'd be appreciating that great new technology.)

Big Jimm
So. Fla.

Last edited by Big Jimm; 08-29-06 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-29-06, 06:55 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

There is no need to plug in Lexus hybrids, EVER.

And no solar cells to worry about weather, etc.
Old 08-29-06, 07:09 PM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by enigma888
There is no need to plug in Lexus hybrids, EVER.

And no solar cells to worry about weather, etc.
OK .. I'm listening ..

Big Jimm
So. Fla.

Last edited by Big Jimm; 08-29-06 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-29-06, 07:20 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

^^^
That's the beauty of it. The RX 400h, GS 450h etc offer the same package as other top-of-the-line Lexus vehicles, but more power, some added external and interior features--and better mph/lower emissions.

You just fill up the car less often, and that's it. The hybrid engine/battery recharges via the gas engine, and brakes.

The LS 600h L is an ultra-LS, with leather dash, LED headlights, etc. to signify its special status. It is analogous to the V12 vehicles for the S-class and 7-series, but without the mph/gas guzzler penalty. Calories with no added fat.

Last edited by encore888; 08-29-06 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Why the Interest in "LUXURY HYBRID?"