Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

Your opinion on 2014-15 LS600

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 10:06 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Your opinion on 2014-15 LS600

I have read threads relate to LS600. But I don't know the difference between pre and post 2012 LS600s. Since I never owned a hybrid car, don't know what to expect from ownership perspective i.e maintenance etc. The reason I just started looking into 600s is, I almost gave up finding 460L with all the technology bells and whistles with the interior color I wanted.

With that said, appreciate if you could give your perspective to these questions;
  • Using LS600 as a daily driver to work . Disclaimer, I am not a Wall street guy. My work place parking lot is very similar to any other office parking. Few times have seen some sports car, that's it. What do you think abt someone uses that for daily commute?.
  • Any functionality advantage of going with 2016-17 models (pre-owned)?.
  • Being $110+ new price tag, should I consider Tesla or S550 (pre-owned)?.
  • Does the auto insurance significantly goes up compare to LS460?.
Old 03-23-17, 10:39 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I've been looking at them frequently. I would say if you are looking for a daily driver for a work commute, the Tesla is a great car to look at. No gas, no oil changes, no real maintenance other than tires and basic things.

How far is the commute? Willl you use it for other things like long trips?
Old 03-23-17, 11:47 AM
satiger
Instructor

Thanks Greg. My daily commute is 110 miles, mostly highway. I currently use my trusted ES as daily driver. But soon plan on giving her some break as she is currently at 282k miles. Then LS would become my daily driver. I use LS for long trips.

I will look into Tesla models, last I remember I didn't like their front grills. Its becoming a very frustrated experience to locate one with lighter interior with all (except executive seating) amenities. There was one LS460L at Sewell and was sold before even they added pictures. Last night found one 600 in CA, contacted them today morning - sold!.
Old 03-23-17, 12:26 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by satiger
Thanks Greg. My daily commute is 110 miles, mostly highway. I currently use my trusted ES as daily driver. But soon plan on giving her some break as she is currently at 282k miles. Then LS would become my daily driver. I use LS for long trips.

I will look into Tesla models, last I remember I didn't like their front grills. Its becoming a very frustrated experience to locate one with lighter interior with all (except executive seating) amenities. There was one LS460L at Sewell and was sold before even they added pictures. Last night found one 600 in CA, contacted them today morning - sold!.
I use cars.com or autotrader. There are usually around 34 for sale in the entire country. One thing I've noticed but havent been able to confirm is the 13+ MY LS600hl seems to have to have the executive package for the rear entertainment. I could be wrong but I havent seen the rear screen in anything other than the full executive seating. Odd. There are however several completely loaded 600's out there with pre-collision, LKA etc...
Old 03-23-17, 12:57 PM
satiger
Instructor

Originally Posted by greg3852
I use cars.com or autotrader. There are usually around 34 for sale in the entire country. One thing I've noticed but havent been able to confirm is the 13+ MY LS600hl seems to have to have the executive package for the rear entertainment. I could be wrong but I havent seen the rear screen in anything other than the full executive seating. Odd. There are however several completely loaded 600's out there with pre-collision, LKA etc...
Good feedback Greg. You are correct, I haven't seen a rear entertainment without the executive package in 600. However, the one I mentioned from Sewell (LS460L) did come with rear entertainment with no executive package. Very unique car, missed it.

Searched on cars.com for 600 for the years 13-14. 6 listing. Only one has lighter interior and its sold (the one I mentioned in the first post).

On a different note, if anyone interested in my LS (garage queen), let me know. Loaded with radar cruise, pre-collision, air suspension, ML etc.
Old 03-23-17, 01:14 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts

There was one LS460L at Sewell and was sold before even they added pictures. Last night found one 600 in CA, contacted them today morning - sold!.
Have you seen this one? https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...condition.html
Old 03-23-17, 01:52 PM
qtrung909
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There's a beige one on autotrader.com.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...elCode1=LS600H
Old 03-23-17, 02:13 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

The LS600 is a phenomenal buy if you are looking at a used one. The depreciation is crippling to the new car buyer. After 3 years, they are basically selling for the same as the 460 (from private sellers - dealers are still trying to charge a premium). Most people won't know the difference between the 460 and the 600. Unless your workplace is ultra egalitarian, I don't think anyone will care, and anyone that does probably shouldn't be worrying you.

Honestly, I would avoid the Tesla and the Merc. The Tesla is a beautiful car but has range concerns for a long distance daily driver, not to mention the recent reliability concerns in Consumer Reports. The Merc - well, nice car if your dealer will give you a nice loaner when it's in for repairs during the lease (don't even think of buying one)!
Old 03-23-17, 02:18 PM
satiger
Instructor

Thanks Dave. I didn't know hfahmy is selling his beautiful car. That color combo or nebula grey with light interior is my preference. However I am looking for 14+ year models.

Thanks qtrung909 - I checked that one last night. It doesn't come with LKA.

Looking at Wikipedia, less than 10,000 were sold each year from 2014-16. 2013 had just over 10k sales.
Old 03-23-17, 04:10 PM
satiger
Instructor

2010, 80k miles, radar cruise, executive seat, rear entertainment on ebay : http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Lexus-LS-600h-L-/152478153349?hash=item238067fa85:g:FrcAAOSw2gxYzuCJ&vxp=mtr if any one interested.
Old 05-05-17, 01:51 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Thanks Dave. I didn't know hfahmy is selling his beautiful car. That color combo or nebula grey with light interior is my preference. However I am looking for 14+ year models.

Thanks qtrung909 - I checked that one last night. It doesn't come with LKA.

Looking at Wikipedia, less than 10,000 were sold each year from 2014-16. 2013 had just over 10k sales.
Satiger: I thought of you recently when I saw a great deal on an LS600hL. It was a 2014 at Lexus of Nashville, and it was your favorite color (Nebula Gray). It had the Flaxen interior that I LOVE! The car had 26K miles, was pretty loaded up (including LKA) and had been sitting on their lot for 80 days or so. I contacted a salesman about it earlier this week, and he emailed me back this morning saying they were going to be sending it back to auction tomorrow, and that I could have it today for $61k if I wanted. Seemed like a great price, and while I dearly love my 2008 LS600hL, I was actually considering jumping on it. It managed to sell while I was hemming and hawing, though, so it's no longer an issue... Oh well, I really do love my 2008, and it doesn't make much sense to get a newer one at this point... But still, I am drawn to that Flaxen interior...
Old 05-05-17, 02:38 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have read threads relate to LS600. But I don't know the difference between pre and post 2012 LS600s. Since I never owned a hybrid car, don't know what to expect from ownership perspective i.e maintenance etc. The reason I just started looking into 600s is, I almost gave up finding 460L with all the technology bells and whistles with the interior color I wanted.

With that said, appreciate if you could give your perspective to these questions;
  • Using LS600 as a daily driver to work . Disclaimer, I am not a Wall street guy. My work place parking lot is very similar to any other office parking. Few times have seen some sports car, that's it. What do you think abt someone uses that for daily commute?.
  • Any functionality advantage of going with 2016-17 models (pre-owned)?.
  • Being $110+ new price tag, should I consider Tesla or S550 (pre-owned)?.
  • Does the auto insurance significantly goes up compare to LS460?.
I have a 2015 Tesla P85D Ludicrous. Different kind of car entirely. Far more power. 0-60 in 2.8 seconds. Stiff suspension. Interior is nowhere near as nice as the LS. Not even in the same league. Lots of new technology with bells and whistles, but very little in the way of luxury. Heck, they only just added rear cup holders but are still missing grab hand rails, lighted vanity mirrors, door pockets, coat hangers, etc.

You'll find the LS is probably 10 decibels quieter than the Tesla at 75 MPH. The tesla is very quiet at low speed, but the frameless window doors and lack of fit and finish refinement results in a lot more wind noise. Still way quieter than my Prius but not as quiet as my SC430.

The instant torque and acceleration is addicting. It feels light and nimble from stop light to stop light. It's telepathic in it's instant acceleration yet it weighs 5000 lbs.

The LS is going to have better seats, better climate control, and more amenities. It's an ultra luxury barge. The Tesla isn't. But the Tesla can do cool things like summon into and out of parking spots or tight spaces. It has cabin overheat protection so it won't get more than 105 degrees inside baking in the sun. You can whip out the app and turn on the climate control if you want to cool it to 70 degrees before you get back to your car. You can watch you spouse drive too fast on the freeway in real time or get alerts if the car exceeds a certain speed. My wife was driving back from work the other day at 90 MPH. I screen shotted my phone and texted her the image and told her to slow down. She hates that
Old 05-05-17, 02:43 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Honestly, I would avoid the Tesla and the Merc. The Tesla is a beautiful car but has range concerns for a long distance daily driver, not to mention the recent reliability concerns in Consumer Reports. The Merc - well, nice car if your dealer will give you a nice loaner when it's in for repairs during the lease (don't even think of buying one)!
I've driven 10K miles on long distance trips all over the western half of the united states and have never had a range concern.
Old 05-05-17, 06:54 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by sorka
I've driven 10K miles on long distance trips all over the western half of the united states and have never had a range concern.
Well, by long distance trips, I mean 300-500 miles a day.

Not in a Model S.
Old 05-05-17, 07:55 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Well, by long distance trips, I mean 300-500 miles a day.

Not in a Model S.
...and I mean well over 700 miles a day as my frequent trips to Phoenix, AZ or Washougal, WA. Never had an issue with range. Not only that, the drive doesn't take any longer than my Prius on the same routes when you factor in the bathroom, drink, and meal stops. A 10 hour drive has about 2 hours of stops in a regular car when you're traveling with a family.

Heck, my round trip commute to work is 280 miles.

Did you know the 100D has a range of 335 miles on a single charge? You could do 300 miles in a day without charging even once during that distance.

Quick Reply: Your opinion on 2014-15 LS600