LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Upgraded from '06 430 to '13 460

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-17, 06:25 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Beautiful car! Love the gray and the interior is perfect. Great combo.
Old 03-19-17, 07:13 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Beautiful car! Love the gray and the interior is perfect. Great combo.
Thank you, Cubby and Doublebase, for the kind words and good wishes. I find myself just sitting at stop lights and admiring the interior.

On paper, the 460 is smaller than the 430. However, today my wife said she feels like there's more room in the rear of the 460! This is coming from a woman that routinely tries to open a car that isn't hers simply because the other car is white, yet she actually notices a difference in comfort between the 460 and 430.

Measurements show that the back of the arm rest is closer to the rear seat (in a SWB) yet after installing our daughter's car seat we found that my daughter's shoes don't quote reach the rear vents on the 460, whereas she was resting the soles of her shoes on the 430 rear vents. The 460 must have deeper rear seat cushions.
Old 03-19-17, 07:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

One difference between the 460 and the 430 is that the front seat backs are a lot thinner on the 460, which I think helps with knee-room.

I'll also have you know that your pictures spurned me to wash my filthy LS this afternoon. So I have you to thank for the freezing ordeal I had standing on top of the snow drifts washing my car The neighbors have another reason to think I'm a nut!

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-19-17 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-19-17, 09:01 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by SW15LS
One difference between the 460 and the 430 is that the front seat backs are a lot thinner on the 460, which I think helps with knee-room.

I'll also have you know that your pictures spurned me to wash my filthy LS this afternoon. So I have you to thank for the freezing ordeal I had standing on top of the snow drifts washing my car The neighbors have another reason to think I'm a nut!
You're welcome, Steve! Always glad to help any way I can. The very least I could do for all your sage advice (it was hard advice to accept at times but needed to be said and heard, and I am truly thankful for it).

Just noticed your split-spoke 5-star rims. That would be my top choice for Lexus wheels. I probably won't change mine though as I generally just keep what the car came with. The 19-inch Goodyear Eagle RSAs ride surprisingly well. They're quiet too. A lot of tread left too. I wonder if the P7+ will be noticeably better or not when it comes time for new tires.

It's a good thing I don't spend on wheels since I really need to resist putting more money into the car. I already ordered the Centric brake parts and now want to get one of the bypass kits to play movies while in motion, plus I want to look into those luxe floor mats that you and comotiger rave about. Already scheduled an appointment on April 1st to get both cars detailed and waxed before more rain comes. Our detailer also does some cars for San Francisco Giants players. The 460 is already pretty clean on the inside, I just want the paint prepped and waxed. See what I mean about spending too much on a car that probably doesn't need it...but deserves it.
Old 03-20-17, 05:52 AM
aw001
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats! I was beginning to wonder what you have been doing on you new car project. Now, we all are in the same boat! MUUahahahaha
Old 03-20-17, 06:16 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I also did not like how the 460's brakes felt when I was test driving them. Not like the 430 at all. I guess you can get used to it but they were much more sensitive to even slight pressure. Just be happy you can even buy aftermarket front rotors. On my A8 nobody makes them I think due to their design / proprietary rights. The rears yes but on the front your stuck with OEM. Their nice rotors but not particularly cheap. About $275 each for the 380mm.
Old 03-20-17, 06:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The centric rotors and posit quiet ceramic pads seem to have solved by grabby brakes...
Old 03-20-17, 07:50 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

This is just awesome news!! I cant say congrats loud enough. We all knew just how badly you wanted the car but I really do admire your patience and thorough thought process you maintained throughout this entire ordeal. Just me personally, I find it fantastic the feeling that you now have every time you see it, sit in it and drive it, but the feeling you get when your wife and daughter are in the car with you. Theres nothing on earth that can replace nor mimic that!
Congrats to the highest order Ft1!! Beautiful LS!!
Old 03-20-17, 12:04 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

On my A8 nobody makes them I think due to their design / proprietary rights.
I see them listed on Rockauto's website. Did you try them?
Old 03-20-17, 12:46 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by aw001
Congrats! I was beginning to wonder what you have been doing on you new car project. Now, we all are in the same boat! MUUahahahaha
Originally Posted by CRowe14
This is just awesome news!! I cant say congrats loud enough. We all knew just how badly you wanted the car but I really do admire your patience and thorough thought process you maintained throughout this entire ordeal. Just me personally, I find it fantastic the feeling that you now have every time you see it, sit in it and drive it, but the feeling you get when your wife and daughter are in the car with you. Theres nothing on earth that can replace nor mimic that!
Congrats to the highest order Ft1!! Beautiful LS!!
Thank you aw001 and CRowe for taking this journey with me. I definitely felt the support from you and others. Made me feel more confident that I wasn't going to get into a bad situation because there were so many people looking out for me, my family included.

And, CRowe, absolutely understand your sentiment. I love walking up to the car and climbing behind the wheel. I also get a deep sense of satisfaction seeing the joy and smiles on the face of my wife and daughter as they ride in the lap of luxury. This car is as much for me as it is for them.
Old 03-20-17, 12:48 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Congratulations on your new car. Patience is a virtue and especially on this ride! It is beautifully stunning inside and out. Looks new. Enjoy yourself!

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Am already loving the car! The 430 is a wonderful car too, and I do take it for granted, but the 430 just doesn't stir the soul nor excite me when I drive it.
You just nailed the perfect words for me about my 05 LS430. I liked it, but I never loved it like I do my 460. It never stirred my soul one bit like my 08 does every single moment of the day! You are so right.
Old 03-20-17, 04:22 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by R Z
Congratulations on your new car. Patience is a virtue and especially on this ride! It is beautifully stunning inside and out. Looks new. Enjoy yourself!

You just nailed the perfect words for me about my 05 LS430. I liked it, but I never loved it like I do my 460. It never stirred my soul one bit like my 08 does every single moment of the day! You are so right.
Thank you for the kind words, R Z. I've test driven several 07-12 models and, as nice as they are, the 2013 and I simply click together. I used to drive my 430 in complete silence despite having the ML stereo. In contrast, the 460 brings me to life and its ML system makes me want to listen to more music because of how good it sounds and how it just adds to the pure enjoyment of the car. I was showing a friend the car today at work. He has a 2016 A6 2.0T and he was also impressed by the ML system in the 460. Even as a 2013 with 70K miles he commented on how new it looks and feels.
Old 03-21-17, 01:16 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Congratulations! I have read both here and in the 3rd gen forum and very excited that things worked out for you. It's a beautiful color combination and I love the comparison pics to your 430 (I had an '04 430 identical to yours). It's strange - I never felt my interior was that outdated until I officially bought my 460 (2010) and your pics re-emphasize that even more since you have the 13 model.

Here's a question I don't think anyone has asked yet... have you driven it at night yet? I love the interior of my '10 at night and feel it's a substantial upgrade over the 430. I bet the interior of the '13+ is awesome looking at night.

Congrats again!
Old 03-21-17, 01:22 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Congratulations! I have read both here and in the 3rd gen forum and very excited that things worked out for you. It's a beautiful color combination and I love the comparison pics to your 430 (I had an '04 430 identical to yours). It's strange - I never felt my interior was that outdated until I officially bought my 460 (2010) and your pics re-emphasize that even more since you have the 13 model.

Here's a question I don't think anyone has asked yet... have you driven it at night yet? I love the interior of my '10 at night and feel it's a substantial upgrade over the 430. I bet the interior of the '13+ is awesome looking at night.

Congrats again!
Thank you for taking the time to follow both forums/threads, JR. It is pretty cool that we share this upgrade journey together, both coming from 430s recently.

You also pose a great question. I've been wondering it too! With daylight savings it's still light out by the time I reach home and then the car just sits until the next morning. I have been curious how the dash cluster and interior will look at nighttime. I can faintly make out the blue and red glow of the instrument cluster between Normal and Sport+ modes and it got me wondering if there is more ambient lighting throughout the car. Perhaps I will remember to take the car around the neighborhood after our daughter goes to bed tonight. Wishing many safe and happy miles, my friend.
Old 03-21-17, 02:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It is cool at night, the ambient lighting under the wood trim on both sides of the dash, everything is lit up a sharp crisp white. If you watch when those lights come on, they start in the center and slide out to the edges.

Quick Reply: Upgraded from '06 430 to '13 460