LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What should I look for with a used LS460? Common Problems? (merged threads)

Old 03-23-17, 05:49 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbp
i think the best chance of finding an LS460 with pre-collision/DRCC (dynamic radar cruise control, not laser) is among 2007-2009 LS460L's. Unfortunately (to me), many of them seem to have air suspension. Still, they are worth looking for if you want the PCS/DRCC.

If you're looking at 3rd-party sites, such as Cargurus, don't rely on just the vehicle description description for an accurate list of the options, especially from non-Lexus dealers.
Well, I have been watching the cars I have been looking at, looking for the button on the right side of the steering wheel, NOT what they say. As I have seen that is something to watch for to get the "dynamic cruse" (yea, sorry, I know the ls430 has "laser" cruse).

I am assuming I need the button on the right side of the steering wheel to have that feature.....

With that saying, I have did a search for a car with 200 miles from my zip 06339 and I can not find a SINGLE car with that button under $25K(and I want to be under $15k) even with a 120K on the clock.

I took one 2007 LS460L for a ride, it was a nice car but, it had AIR but, it didn't have the button so I assume it does not have it but, it was not in the greatest shape, so I am driving tomorrow 150 miles to go look at another LS460L that looks like it's in mint shape but, again, No button

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
There are many LS's out there with the laser cruise feature and it comes with a optional package that cost more. Don't cheat yourself get the options you want instead of regretting it. It took me three months to find the right color and options but the market is more saturated now.
My 2001 LS430 is sitting at 245,000 and it's not running very well, I don't want to dump any money into it with these miles and the thing does not even have Bluetooth (not a ultra). I don't have the time to look around I need to find a car ASAP. I have already searched for over 2 weeks and the wife is about to kill me, Trust me, there is nothing with what I need in my price range anywhere near me.

It's one feature I guess I have to live with out for this car

Last edited by DavidinCT; 03-23-17 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-23-17, 07:43 PM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I was bummed mine didn't have dynamic cruise until I drove my buddy's 2016 Landcruiser that had it. Way too aggressive in how it slows down. My wife's new 2017 MDX has it and it seems to slow down way too aggressive as well.
Old 03-24-17, 12:16 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

So, I went to look at a 2007 LS460L.... It was in great shape, I had a hard time even seeing a scratch on the car. And the inside was the same thing. For a 2007 with 144K to be in that shape, I was kind of blown away on how it looked. Even had the clear bra... WOW... Price is a little higher than I wanted to at but, I like it so far.

So, I took it for the ride... seemed good, all was ok, till I got on the highway, took it up to 85 MPH (So I know how it runs), The noise was bad (sounding like bad tires or something) and the vibration started to get pretty bad, I even felt it doing 65 MPH. Made me think that it was the control arms as this is a known issue.

What is the symptoms of the Control Arms failing ? Would it make a clicking noise, it would it cause vibration while driving 60 MPH+ ?

Or could it just be bad tires ?

Last edited by DavidinCT; 03-24-17 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-24-17, 12:55 PM
GHARP57
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

https://www.carmax.com/cars#Distance...y=14&Zip=06339

I did half the work there. filter your features and see whats available. I just had mine shipped from Arizona
Old 03-24-17, 01:20 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by GHARP57
https://www.carmax.com/cars#Distance...y=14&Zip=06339

I did half the work there. filter your features and see whats available. I just had mine shipped from Arizona
Thanks, I did a search there before, they didn't have anything that fit what I wanted. I don't think I found anything had dynamic cruse. Anyway, feature for feature, they are more expensive.

Anyway, the LS460L I saw today was in such great shape, I think I am going to try to work with them to see what the problem is, and I guess I will go through the CPO lexus check on it to MAKE SURE.
Old 03-24-17, 01:59 PM
GHARP57
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Thanks, I did a search there before, they didn't have anything that fit what I wanted. I don't think I found anything had dynamic cruse. Anyway, feature for feature, they are more expensive.

Anyway, the LS460L I saw today was in such great shape, I think I am going to try to work with them to see what the problem is, and I guess I will go through the CPO lexus check on it to MAKE SURE.
I want to apologize David. I now look at my post and I came off as a **** who feels like I wasted my time by providing that info for you. I do wish you the best of luck on finding an LS!!
Old 03-24-17, 02:03 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 225 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
So, I went to look at a 2007 LS460L.... It was in great shape, I had a hard time even seeing a scratch on the car. And the inside was the same thing. For a 2007 with 144K to be in that shape, I was kind of blown away on how it looked. Even had the clear bra... WOW... Price is a little higher than I wanted to at but, I like it so far.

So, I took it for the ride... seemed good, all was ok, till I got on the highway, took it up to 85 MPH (So I know how it runs), The noise was bad (sounding like bad tires or something) and the vibration started to get pretty bad, I even felt it doing 65 MPH. Made me think that it was the control arms as this is a known issue.

What is the symptoms of the Control Arms failing ? Would it make a clicking noise, it would it cause vibration while driving 60 MPH+ ?

Or could it just be bad tires ?
Could just be bad tires... Have you tried to enter the VIN into the MyLexus web site to review the full history of the car? With the number of miles on it, I would think it would have had the front Control Arms replaced by now. It's also a Air Ride suspension, right? If so, it's quite possible the shocks are shot (the air ride shocks were all changed in my 2008 LS600hL between 45-58K miles, and most don't seem to last much past 100K no matter how gently they are driven).

If the price is right and the dealership can resolve the high-speed vibration issue, this might be the right car for you. Good luck!
Old 03-24-17, 02:41 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by GHARP57
I want to apologize David. I now look at my post and I came off as a **** who feels like I wasted my time by providing that info for you. I do wish you the best of luck on finding an LS!!
No need to apologize ! Thank you ! I did look the other day but, trust me, I have been looking at every used car website I could find. I really didn't know there was that many :- /

And thanks again !

Originally Posted by riknchar
Could just be bad tires... Have you tried to enter the VIN into the MyLexus web site to review the full history of the car? With the number of miles on it, I would think it would have had the front Control Arms replaced by now. It's also a Air Ride suspension, right? If so, it's quite possible the shocks are shot (the air ride shocks were all changed in my 2008 LS600hL between 45-58K miles, and most don't seem to last much past 100K no matter how gently they are driven).

If the price is right and the dealership can resolve the high-speed vibration issue, this might be the right car for you. Good luck!
Hi Rick,

The car I am looking at (2007 LS460L) does not have Air Ride suspension (the first one I looked at had it but, I told the seller I was going to pass because of it), I am talking about the one I went to see/ride this morning. It's dark grey. Yea, it could be bad tires but, I need to know exactly. I don't want to buy a car with out knowing for sure. As I need the money to put down, I might have to skip the $150 or so to have a Lexus dealer do a check.

The Lexus website only really shows maintence on the car (early on up to about 75K) and all recalls. Not a TON history up there. Funny for a car that looks so good and drives great accept for this.

The dealer where I saw the car (I even put a REFUNDABLE deposit down, as it was so nice) but, they are about 150 miles from my home (2 1/2 hour ride), so getting back and forth to a dealer might be a challenge, I will have to see if they will do it.

If anyone has had the control arms fail or start to fail, what is the symptoms of it ? What type of problem am I looking for ?

BTW: but wow, after driving 2 LS460L cars, I am sold, I have to have one now....great :-\

Last edited by DavidinCT; 03-24-17 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-29-17, 06:01 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

For anyone who has went from a 2nd Gen GS or 4th Gen GS to a LS460 does the LS460 feel and drive much bigger(like a heavy car), does it feel significantly different in the handling and drive department like driving a large car with somewhat sloppy handling, feeling ponderous compared to a GS? Did it take some getting used to? I sat in a LS several years ago and briefly drove one years ago but I did not pay too much attention to its ride or if I could live with it because I never thought of getting one until recently. I took a look at two LS's closer yesterday but never got in them or test drove them and noticed it seemed much larger up close then I remembered, the 2012 LS version seemed to have a slightly less "large" look.

The LS does not look very big farther away on the road but up close it seemed like it could possibly be just a little too big for my tastes. I am not looking for a canyon carver or for it to be a really enjoyable drivers car but I want secure competent handling that is not sloppy and if I have to make a quick accident avoidance maneuver or taking a quick turn it recovers quickly and securely, more or less like my 2nd Gen GS, I know it will feel and drive somewhat larger then a GS but I guess the question is, is it really noticeable and something you need to get used to?
Old 04-02-17, 10:24 AM
tidalk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Some of those cars you are interested in are not only not V8's but are also front wheel drive. Not sure if that concerns you or not. It would me.

In regards to the Acura, do you research. They have literally fallen off the charts for reliability. I believe they are 17 of the 30 or so manufacturers, mostly due to transmission problems. Shocking, but true.

As for any issues with the LS, the only areas of concern (and even then...minimal), are the noted control arms, water pumps, and the Mark Levinson amp. All of which can be fixed for peanuts. 1500 for CA's, couple hundred for water pump and amp for 6-800. And your car may not suffer from any of them. For example, I only had to replace ONE control arm and one ball joint, I Diy'd my water pump for 60 bucks and my ML amp has never failed me. My 08 has over 190k kms (125k miles?), on the odo and has been the most reliable car I've ever owned (about 20 cars from BMW to Acura to Domestic).
refreshing to hear lexus' flagship model does not cost an arm an a leg to maintain
Old 04-02-17, 11:12 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by tidalk
refreshing to hear lexus' flagship model does not cost an arm an a leg to maintain
You'd be shocked on how many parts that are TOYOTA branded fit on a Lexus, they share parts and part numbers...

With a Benz or BMW (for example), there is no lower brand that they directly share on it. It's why Lexus cars are more reasonable in the parts department, unless it's an exclusive LS part...then all bets are off.
Old 04-18-17, 05:37 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

This interior I think comes from a LS Sport. This is my favorite combo so far with that saddle brown inserts and stitching and matte wood, I saw a really nice 2010 black on black LS460 with this combo I was very interested in until I looked at some more pics and saw it had the dreaded air suspension, so disappointed.

Do all LS460's with that interior which I guess is only on the rare sport model have air suspension or can you get one without air suspension?

Are those wheels a Lexus labeled OZ wheel, are they all staggered on the sport or can you get them same size front and rear?
Attached Thumbnails What should I look for with a used LS460?  Common Problems?  (merged threads)-lexusls460sport-21.jpg   What should I look for with a used LS460?  Common Problems?  (merged threads)-lexusls460sport-22.jpg  
Old 04-26-17, 10:24 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Doe anyone see anything that raises red flags with this free carfax? Service history is kind of spotty but I have seen others with similar history, seller raised the price by $2000 after it was inspected at the Lexus dealership which sounds shady. It is a long drive for me to look at the car but the price before they raised it was pretty good for year/mileage. Dealership is kind of shady, not answering questions about the car over email, gave me some nonsense message they have been sending emails and asking if I have been receiving them but never answer any of my replies or emails.

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...5727&csearch=0
Old 04-27-17, 07:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Not really, what dealer is it at?
Old 04-27-17, 07:45 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Doe anyone see anything that raises red flags with this free carfax? Service history is kind of spotty but I have seen others with similar history, seller raised the price by $2000 after it was inspected at the Lexus dealership which sounds shady. It is a long drive for me to look at the car but the price before they raised it was pretty good for year/mileage. Dealership is kind of shady, not answering questions about the car over email, gave me some nonsense message they have been sending emails and asking if I have been receiving them but never answer any of my replies or emails.

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...5727&csearch=0

It looks like the car was passed around for 10 months before being sold to the 2nd owner. Then he sold it in July of 1016 and it's been sitting there since? Seems odd that they would raise the price on something that isn't moving. That's some leverage to negotiate down the price.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What should I look for with a used LS460? Common Problems? (merged threads)