LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Soon to be owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-17, 12:59 PM
Filby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soon to be owner

I'm going to purchase a 2007 LS lx in a couple of days. I'm a bit nervous as this will be the most I've paid for a vehicle, even though it's not very much for such a car (12k). Anyway it has every option that was available and even though I read about all an LS lx offers, I was totally in awe when I test drove it. Just amazing. The reason I'm a bit anxious is because it has 190k. I have 2 earlier model es 300s and they are great, 1 has 300k, 1 has 200k+ and both running strong and have been very reasonable to repair. Thus the reason for the slight nervousness. I wondering how "reasonable" repairs might be.
Old 03-09-17, 01:07 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Well, the LS is going to cost more to maintain and fix than an ES but its a pretty reliable car. The very early 2007s had a few issues - melting dashboards and door panels in hot sunny weather, brake actuators, wind noise from the front windows; and wheel bearings, water pumps, control arm bushings, have been an issue with many of the older cars. Check its service history at the dealership on lexusdrivers.com with the VIN number. Also, download the Lexus CPO checklist and go through everything on the list before you sign the check.

If it drives good and passes all the tests, go for it!
Old 03-09-17, 01:31 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

I can understand your apprehension where this will be your most expensive car purchase (for now, ). Check the service history of the car. Make sure all the recalls were done. If they weren't I think you still have time.

The most expensive repair are the control arms, so see if they have been replaced. Otherwise the only other real things are the ML amp and the brake actuator. My car is just about to turn 110K and I've had neither of those problems.
Old 03-09-17, 02:05 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

The LS460 is an over-engineered car, they have paid attention to a lot of detail to the vehicle. You are getting a LOT of vehicle, even with 190k miles, for that price. So I wouldn't be too concerned, I would certainly suggest investing in a Pre-Purchase Inspection so you know what you're getting yourself into. Not expecting the vehicle to be perfect but if you're seeing some of the common issues (and there aren't many) that should give you a peace of mind as you enjoy your ownership of the LS!
Old 03-09-17, 03:10 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

The LS was designed and built to reliable and durable. However you can expect some issues or problems when purchasing a ten years old LS. Parts fail and wear out but you can always shop around if it happens.
Old 03-10-17, 08:32 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

valves bending, failing brake actuators , 20 control arms, melting and interior pieces , call this reliable and over engineered???
Old 03-10-17, 12:34 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by lextout
valves bending, failing brake actuators , 20 control arms, melting and interior pieces , call this reliable and over engineered???
lmao.. Let's see. Recall, recall, less than $1500, replacement...Umm yes that's not too bad. Not every car suffers from these issues. My 2007 had none of these issues. Zero. So yes thats pretty good.
Old 03-10-17, 02:13 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
lmao.. Let's see. Recall, recall, less than $1500, replacement...Umm yes that's not too bad. Not every car suffers from these issues. My 2007 had none of these issues. Zero. So yes thats pretty good.
^^^ THIS! Thanks Greg! I mean...no one has said that the car is perfect, no car is, but it just sounds like bashing without being informed to the remedies. Every once and a while someone will respond with that exact sentiment -- that the LS is a problem-ridden car, but always fail to make mention of what they would buy instead at this level of vehicle and in many cases, lets not forget we're speaking about a car that's 9-10 years old.
It is best to educate yourself not only about the issues that may arise, but the remedy to the issues. That is really how one can become truly informed.

Last edited by CRowe14; 03-10-17 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-10-17, 02:26 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

THIS! Thanks Greg! I mean...no one has said that the car is perfect, no car is
Nope, it's not perfect.... but it's more perfect than ANY other luxury sedan out there.

Lextout....name ONE (just one), full size ultra luxury sedan that has less issues than the LS and is more reliable.

And please post any info on anyone who's had "bent valves". Valve SPRINGS were recalled, but I don't recall anything about "valves bending".

Last edited by roadfrog; 03-10-17 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-10-17, 02:27 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by lextout
Every owned a MB, BMW or Jaguar?
Old 03-10-17, 02:32 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Nope, it's not perfect.... but it's more perfect than ANY other luxury sedan out there.

Lextout....name ONE (just one), full size ultra luxury sedan that has less issues than the LS and is more reliable.

And please post any info on anyone who's had "bent valves". Valve SPRINGS were recalled, but I don't recall anything about "valves bending".
True! I was kinda going that way with what I was saying but you conveyed it much clearer...
What other car, rather-luxury car, in this segment would you buy that has a better reliability rating than the LS, new OR older model??
Old 03-10-17, 04:21 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
Every owned a MB, BMW or Jaguar?
I sure have... 2 of them That's why I now drive an LS!
Old 03-10-17, 07:43 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I'll be hitting 150,000 miles next month in my 07 LS, I've experienced very very little problems. I had two control arms fail but I changed most of them anyway...cost me about what it'd cost to replace control arms on any car. I had a wheel bearing go...40 minute repair. And I had a blower motor get noisy, so I replaced it...10 minute repair. That's it...10 years...148,000 miles...three repairs. Not one single check engine light, not one water pump, no timing belts to worry about...all the electronics work and the thing drives like a new car. Twenty six miles per gallon out of a V8? Unheard of.

But it doesn't really matter, I could drive it a million miles...people would still say it's a problem car.
Old 03-11-17, 09:17 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Similar reliability with my car. Two control arms (but like you, I replaced most/all as a preventative maintenance), and a water pump, (50 bucks and a 90 minute DIY). Closing in on 135k miles and is the most reliable of the 20+cars I've owned - though my 1984 Honda CRX was bullet-proof as well. My 2002 Acura which is often referred to as one of the most reliable vehicles, had control arms replaced, water pump, two timing belts, shocks, transmission and some water leaks. That car is still going with another owner and nearing 200k miles, but it was not as reliable as my LS.
Old 03-11-17, 12:57 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

but seriously, how many known issues did the 1989 ls's-2006 ls's have? compared to the 2007-up ls's.

Im not bashing by all means, im just stating facts, btw all i drive is toyota and lexus.

Quick Reply: Soon to be owner