LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

CPO Shopping 2013+ Is there a best time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-17, 06:53 AM
vapro10s
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CPO Shopping 2013+ Is there a best time?

Hello,

I have been reading up and considering my first Lexus. Last three cars have been BMW. Impressed with Lexus CPO program and ability to extend further.

We live in FL so AWD is not a need (unless ride is much smoother). The options I really want are: 460L, Semi-Aniline Leather, Mark Levinson Audio, Blind-spot & 19" wheels (just about all L's seem to have these).

LED Headlights would be nice I am undecided & go back-and-forth on: AWD with air suspension, Ultra Luxury package (I rarely get to sit in the back seat) and advanced pre-collision tech package. Also don't think the all weather package affects me - like idea of stronger battery but uncertain if it helps AC system?

Found a 2014 460L with black interior & bamboo (surprised I like this combo and swore not to do black interior but people say it will not be crazy hot here - does look smart!) & with these options: 19" 7-spoke wheels, All Weather Pkg & htd wheel, Blind spot, LED headlamps, Mark Levinson, Semi-Aniline and accessory package. It is RWD with about 37K miles. Ownership and service records look good.

In current market what should this CPO Lexus with options/mileage/year go for?
Given 2018 redesign is coming would it be smarter to wait as perhaps we will see more 14 CPO's hit the market?

Thanks for your feedback!

JM
Old 03-09-17, 08:04 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by vapro10s
In current market what should this CPO Lexus with options/mileage/year go for?
Given 2018 redesign is coming would it be smarter to wait as perhaps we will see more 14 CPO's hit the market?

Thanks for your feedback!

JM
As far as what you should be paying for the car, I would research its value through NADA, KBB and Edmunds to get an approximation. Also, check cars.com, autotrader.com and cargurus.com to see the pricing of comparable cars.

You could wait until the 2018 models come out, but I wouldn't expect any significant price drop. Certainly no more than you could get with an aggressive price offer to a dealer right now. It wouldn't hurt to wait until the last few days of the month in case the dealership needs to hit a quota.
Old 03-09-17, 08:28 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by vapro10s
Hello,
We live in FL so AWD is not a need (unless ride is much smoother). The options I really want are: 460L, Semi-Aniline Leather, Mark Levinson Audio, Blind-spot & 19" wheels (just about all L's seem to have these).

LED Headlights would be nice I am undecided & go back-and-forth on: AWD with air suspension, Ultra Luxury package (I rarely get to sit in the back seat) and advanced pre-collision tech package. Also don't think the all weather package affects me - like idea of stronger battery but uncertain if it helps AC system?

Found a 2014 460L with black interior & bamboo (surprised I like this combo and swore not to do black interior but people say it will not be crazy hot here - does look smart!) & with these options: 19" 7-spoke wheels, All Weather Pkg & htd wheel, Blind spot, LED headlamps, Mark Levinson, Semi-Aniline and accessory package. It is RWD with about 37K miles. Ownership and service records look good.
I second what Nospinzone says about checking various sources and car sites for CPO and retail pricing info on comparable vehicles.

Based on the options you absolutely need, the market of 2013+ LWB cars will be fairly large, especially if you don't care whether it is RWD/AWD. So, you should be able to get a good feel for prices and get a satisfying deal.

LWB vehicles with other options like LED headlights, UltraLux, and APCS are very rare, and you are looking at less than 10 vehicles across the country (AWD/RWD) at a given time. So, it's hard to get exactly what you want in terms of color combos, mileage, CPO, and drivetrain, and air suspension to boot. And pricing will also be hard to judge.

Good luck, and provide links for specific vehicles you are considering so folks here can give you detailed feedback. Another CLer, Fatherto1 was very good at this (check the threads), and although his dream car slipped away just before sale, the whole forum was rooting for him
The following users liked this post:
FatherTo1 (03-09-17)
Old 03-09-17, 01:12 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I wouldn't hold you breath for a surge of Gen 4 cars when the 2018 comes out. Prices are very regional but I'm guessing mid-$50s for the CPO car you're looking at. I'd pass on the air suspension - it's been one of the more problematic areas of the car.
Old 03-09-17, 01:57 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

A quick search on cars.com lists 18 2013+ CPO LWBs. 9/18 are priced at 50K or below, 13/18 are below 53K. Only 1/18 has APCS and has Executive package, there are no UltraLuxes in this group.

A search for used 2013+ LWB (includes CPO) generates 78 cars, with 53/78 priced at 50K or below, and 66/78 are below 53K.

Looking for a vehicle with my favorite options, there's one in Portland that the OP may be interested in . This is a fully loaded UltraLux with an MSRP of $102K. The car has around 34K miles and is listed at 51700. It's a pretty good deal.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9452/overview/

Last edited by comotiger; 03-09-17 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-09-17, 02:08 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Assuming you have the luxury of time, there will be an (anticipated) influx of incoming lease returns from the 2014 model year, this *should* drive down the prices of the 2014's in the market. That 2014 LS460L I'd expect a price of low $50s to be of good value, as long as everything else checks out. Personally, I'd be open to purchasing from a non-Lexus dealership as well, as you can purchase a VSA (if you choose to get additional peace of mind) from Lexus as long as it is under 4 years and 50,000 miles. I'm not NOT a fan of the Lexus CPO program, but question some of its perceived value.

I have found 460L's under 50k miles in the low-mid $40s (2013 models) and would certainly recommend driving a couple to keep your options open. Miles don't scare me on these...except for those with air suspension maybe.
Old 03-09-17, 03:22 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Now is a good time to shop for a 2013+ LS and tons are on eBay and other online sites. No matter what a great deal you might fine or what options you are seeking, a better deal always seem to come alone after your purchase something. Regardless.
Old 03-09-17, 03:29 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
Now is a good time to shop for a 2013+ LS and tons are on eBay and other online sites. No matter what a great deal you might fine or what options you are seeking, a better deal always seem to come alone after your purchase something. Regardless.
LOL, ain't that the truth! Does it have a name, like Murphy's law? At some point, the buyer has to just stop looking and buy. The cars will keep getting cheaper with time due to depreciation!
Old 03-09-17, 03:41 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
LOL, ain't that the truth! Does it have a name, like Murphy's law? At some point, the buyer has to just stop looking and buy. The cars will keep getting cheaper with time due to depreciation!
Hah I haven't been able to peel my eyes/attention away though....on Autotrader at any given point of time, I have 10-15 cars saved that are screaming deals or with features I'd love to have...ranging from a Corvette to a CPO Volvo XC90. I've been close in pulling the trigger on a 2013 LS460 at least a dozen times last year (I currently have a 2010 LS460) and keep tempting myself...