LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I'm back!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-17, 04:02 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default I'm back!

Finally introducing myself on the 4LS forum.
Got back into an LS finally after my '02 was hit while it was parked about a year ago.
Loved that car. Ecru interior and Blue Onyx Pearl exterior with all options air springs and rear AC.
Sad RIP Story here
Had a '94 1LS before that in silver.

In between I grabbed an '07 GS Ultra AWD to keep myself out of unscheduled debt (I replace every 5 years) and because the market for 4LS here in Toronto was only white, silver or really roughed up.

The 3GS is a bucket IMO. That's all I can bear to think about it.
Great engine except it burns oil, great body but the Obsidian paint is so soft and...
So. NOISY. Rattles like a ****. Coming from a dead silent LS previously, it was honestly unbearable.

Finally was able to get my hand on an '07 Black Saphaire pearl SWB with 120,000km (75,000 miles) optioned up with everything but air springs and rear AC. Perfect match except the Ecru semi aniline leather which I REALLY miss.
Even got the door closers on a SWB. I didn't want an L. Not sure why.
Called the guy 45 mins after he posted it. Took it home after I gave them a weekend to clean.

Needed the rotors turned to kill a vibration on hard braking: still considering installing some ceramics to ease the grabbiness.
There's a definite click coming from the actuator as well, so I may hit up a dealer soon to see about getting the warranty extension swap done.

First things I got done (just to get her back to where my 430 was):
LEDs everywhere (still working on Nike lights as my LEDs seem to overheat and flicker only when the lights run a while).
Vais BT and motion defeat installed. Had GROM USB + BT in the 430.
Full detailing and NVH hunt. Squeaks, clicks, rattles and knocks eliminated (mostly). More later...

Completed my droopy glovebox repair a couple days ago.
Added some velcro padding to the dash against the glass to stop a clicky kinda squeak from there.
Silicone lube in all of the window channels helped the dreaded wind noise A LOT. I do need to bump down the driver side to seal it properly so I'll see what I figure out for that. Considering maybe a narrow felt strip in the channel along the top...
Took out the console and polished out the previous owner's scratch work. Some 2000, then 3000 sandpaper, then the random-orbit for a bit.
Control arms will come eventually I suppose: left-front-upper-forward arm is a little jiggly by hand: haven't had a chance to look at the bushings with a light yet.

Already enjoying being back in the flagship.
Attached Thumbnails I'm back!-img_1357.jpg   I'm back!-img_1477.jpg   I'm back!-img_1481.jpg   I'm back!-img_1482.jpg   I'm back!-img_1472.jpg  

I'm back!-img_1473.jpg  

Last edited by dfkd; 03-06-17 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-05-17, 06:20 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Congrats on the new car and welcome back!
Old 03-05-17, 06:26 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Well done and welcome back!

Needed the rotors turned to kill a vibration on hard breaking: still considering installing some ceramics to ease the grabbiness.
A few weeks ago, I replaced my rotors with Centric Premiums and my pads with Centric Posi-Quiet ceramic pads. The difference is NIGHT and DAY! SW15 (Steve) did the same and reported similar observations. The "grab" is COMPLETELY gone. I also did my control arms, but that's a whole different story, but equally happy with that as well. Cost inc labor for the CA's was about 1500 dollars which also included new shocks. I did the brakes myself and got the parts from RockAuto.

Looking forward to your input here at CL.
Old 03-06-17, 11:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Congrats! Like Chris my centric premium rotors and post-quiet lads have totally changed the braking feel of the car, so much better and the grabbiness is gone.
Old 03-08-17, 01:13 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Hi and welcome back.

Very nice job in the center console. Looks brand new.

Sounds like you can do a lot of things for yourself and I know what an accomplishment that can be.

Good luck on the small things and hope you have many miles of enjoyment from the 460. I love mine.

Cubby
Old 03-08-17, 01:40 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Welcome to the LS460. I'm curious about the Grom USB + BT. did you get one for this car too?
Old 03-08-17, 01:59 PM
aw001
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

After that console job, i think that bottle of sake will need to be opened to celebrate!
Old 03-08-17, 02:55 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome and congrats on your purchase! I own a BSP LS as well. They beautiful when freshly washed, waxed and polished...but then again, what LS isn't?!
Great job on the console also!
Old 03-09-17, 09:38 AM
dfkd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by R Z
Welcome to the LS460. I'm curious about the Grom USB + BT. did you get one for this car too?
I got the Vais bt for the 460 and it's been great.
Better than the GROM because it does display the info. The GROM didn't do info on screen on either my 430 or the GS.

Originally Posted by Cubbylex
Sounds like you can do a lot of things for yourself and I know what an accomplishment that can be.
I'm definitely good with my tools. Did my 400 and 430 timing belts myself.
Love it!

I was letting the brakes cut a bit, but I think I'm going to go ahead and get the fronts turned and throw in the ceramics I ordered.
Braking is smooth now but I'm used to that smoother feel of ceramics from my 430 and the GS, regardless of the noisier brake action during warmup.

My extra padding along the dash isn't enough to silence that clicky dash rattle I have on hard bumps.
Presently I keep the case from my little combination tool forced between the space.
Its about 1/8th inch thick flattened out and this silences it completely, no matter the bump!

Gonna look for some kind of rubber or felt blocks (imaginating something like the little rubber feet that come with some electronics) and insert a few, maybe 3 along the glass to maintain that space.

LS600HL shift **** next...
Amazon, not OEM.
Old 03-09-17, 06:42 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Are you sure you want to turn the rotors? Seems like a waste of time to me. When you turn them, they're gonna be thinner and will just warp that much sooner again. Your call obviously, but I'd think this one through. Factory Lexus rotors are notorious for warping.
Old 03-10-17, 02:57 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by dfkd
My extra padding along the dash isn't enough to silence that clicky dash rattle I have on hard bumps. Presently I keep the case from my little combination tool forced between the space. Its about 1/8th inch thick flattened out and this silences it completely, no matter the bump! Gonna look for some kind of rubber or felt blocks (imaginating something like the little rubber feet that come with some electronics) and insert a few, maybe 3 along the glass to maintain that space.
You can also try spraying some silicine lubricant down there. That's the dealer first line warranty solution before anything more drastic.
Old 05-01-17, 08:48 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Just a quick update.

I've now completed a few more items on my to-do list.
  • New deep pile grey mats installed. So deep and fluffy.
  • 600h shift **** installed.
  • Triangle trim and bump down wind noise fixed. So quiet inside.
  • All three air filters replaced.
  • Headlights aimed up just a bit.
  • LED nike lights changed to ones that can handle the heat. No flickering, bright, and the colour matches the CBI HID nicely.
  • Accessory drive belt replaced. (had a tiny squealing starting)
  • Ceramic brake pads installed.
Still need to do a full love-session with my paint (Wash, clay, polish, seal). Waiting for a couple days without spring showers...
Also already bought 4 aftermarket upper control arms. Install soon.

I love it when a car gets better and better in the months after you buy it...

Last edited by dfkd; 05-01-17 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-01-17, 09:38 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I did the 600h **** as well...much nicer!
Old 05-02-17, 05:18 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

Just a quick update.

• New deep pile grey mats installed. So deep and fluffy.
  • 600h shift **** installed.
  • Triangle trim and bump down wind noise fixed. So quiet inside.
  • All three air filters replaced.
  • LED nike lights changed to ones that can handle the heat. No flickering, bright, and the colour matches the CBI HID nicely.
  • Accessory drive belt replaced. (had a tiny squealing starting)
  • Ceramic brake pads installed.
Still need to do a full love-session with my paint (Wash, clay, polish, seal). Waiting for a couple days without spring showers...
Also already bought 4 aftermarket upper control arms. Install soon.

I love it when a car gets better and better in the months after you buy it...
What Polish and sealer you have in mind. Another thing is, How the hell can you have that car for ten days and already get this much stuff done ? Are you retired?
Old 05-02-17, 06:23 AM
sapstar66
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a quick update.

Would you car to share (in pictures or video) how you did that? With the drawings in the book, I just can't figure out which screws are where...

Quick Reply: I'm back!