LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

TPMS situation missing 5th spare

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-17, 10:32 PM
ilikels430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS situation missing 5th spare

Hi, I have questions to ask and see what the problem is. I recently switched out my tpms sensors from the 4 stock wheels that was on the car to my new rims and left the spare alone. I haven't put them on yet because of the rain and its still sitting in the garage. I didn't have a problem of the light on the dash going off because I know it'll be gone after I put the new rims on when its time (after the rain). Recently I had two flats in a week and that was including my spare so I had to get new tires for it. Day after I notice my spare wasn't reading on the dash so I checked to see if its still there and it wasn't. After driving the Master light indicator went on and stayed on. I always parked my car next to the garage and now its not reading any of the of 4 sensors with the new rims after the 5th spare tpms sensor was missing. The dash is still reading "Have your vehicle check by dealer" and blinking "tpms" sign for a minute after putting my new rims next to each wheel lol but yeah it didn't read any of them like before.

When I have time I'm going back to the tire place to tell them either they took it or threw it away cause I'm missing a tpms sensor from the spare. But in the meantime, why is the 4 other sensor not reading now. Do I have to have all 5 sensors for it to read? It was usually fine reading 1 of the sensor and the master light indicator didn't come on. I was suggested that I should put all 4 of the new rims with the sensors and ride it for it to read but would refer to asking help here first. Don't want to risk messing up my fenders just yet.

Thank you, any advice would be best before going to the dealer.
Old 03-04-17, 06:27 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Wow, you've got a lot going happening. I think these rules will help you identify what is going on.

1. The TPMS resets each time the ignition is turned ON. It is self clearing.

2. If any of the sensors are "non reporting" like your missing spare then the system will go into alarm mode after 20 minutes.

3. If any sensors report a pressure that is below the warning threshold that was benchmarked then the system will go into alarm mode immediately.

4. The system will display any reported pressures that are above the benchmarks and show "checking" or dashes for non-reporting sensors if the system is not in the alarm mode.

So, without more information, I would guess that one of your wheels-with-sensor is reporting a pressure that is below the warning threshold. You will not be able to change the benchmarks until you get all 5 sensors reporting.