LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Air Suspension on LS F-Sport going bad, switch to coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-17, 06:47 PM
LSF12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Suspension on LS F-Sport going bad, switch to coilovers

Good evening gentlemen,

Unfortunately, my air suspension on my 2013 LS460 F-SPORT are starting to go bad (60k miles). I am looking to replace it with coilovers, so I do not have to deal with the cost of air suspension issues in the future again, since it is known for having issues every 60-70k miles.

My question is once I replace it with coilovers, what is everything that I must do to prevent the warning dash lights from coming on?

Regards

Last edited by LSF12; 03-02-17 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-02-17, 09:31 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

been considering this as well but thankfully no issues with the oem air yet

As far as I know, the coilovers swap right in, but you need to pull one of the fuses relating to the air suspension to avoid the lights going off
Old 03-02-17, 10:43 PM
LSF12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
been considering this as well but thankfully no issues with the oem air yet

As far as I know, the coilovers swap right in, but you need to pull one of the fuses relating to the air suspension to avoid the lights going off

Pulling one fuse is the only thing to prevent the lights from staying on? That is great if thats the only requirement.
Old 03-03-17, 05:53 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Ouch - sorry to hear that. I think you're the first 2013+ LS owner with any issues with the air suspension. Symptoms similar to previous years (really hard bumps)?
Old 03-03-17, 06:46 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

This swap is pretty well documented on the 430 forums and should be very comparable. Coil-overs are popular but arguably less comfortable & reliable vs traditional spring / strut setup. As far as what needs to be pulled, the fuse for the air compressor or disconnecting the power at the compressor itself should be it. You must leave the vehicle height sensors in place to trick the air suspension computer into thinking all is well.
Old 03-03-17, 07:14 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

disconnecting the power at the compressor itself should be it
I would think that this would be the better option. That way, any short in the electrical system would provide protection. Let us know how you make out with this project!
Old 03-03-17, 08:52 PM
LSF12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Wandl
Ouch - sorry to hear that. I think you're the first 2013+ LS owner with any issues with the air suspension. Symptoms similar to previous years (really hard bumps)?

Didnt hit any really hard bumps. Its a leak only on one of the suspension. New Orleans, Louisiana road isnt the greatest.
Old 03-03-17, 08:55 PM
LSF12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
This swap is pretty well documented on the 430 forums and should be very comparable. Coil-overs are popular but arguably less comfortable & reliable vs traditional spring / strut setup. As far as what needs to be pulled, the fuse for the air compressor or disconnecting the power at the compressor itself should be it. You must leave the vehicle height sensors in place to trick the air suspension computer into thinking all is well.

Im not complaining at all. Just glad it doesnt require a module. Do you happen to have any pictures or diagram showing where the fuse for the air compressor is?
Old 03-03-17, 08:57 PM
LSF12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I would think that this would be the better option. That way, any short in the electrical system would provide protection. Let us know how you make out with this project!

Will do! Thanks for the info
Old 09-06-17, 02:46 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

OP...Did you end up swapping out the air suspension for traditional spring/strut or coilovers?

If so, please update.

Thanks!
Old 09-06-17, 05:16 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Ive been trying to learn as much as I can and so far it seems that you have to leave the height sensors attached when you remove the struts and you also have to disconnect the fuse/relay for the compressor as mentioned above and from what ive been told that should be it
Old 01-10-18, 08:46 AM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Any update on this thread?

All the info on air to coil over swap seems to be spread over dozens of threads.

I’m looking into making this swap and having a warning light free dash.
Old 01-10-18, 10:33 AM
BigMau
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have not studied this but what I have seen about this has little in terms of specifics about exactly what is failing. I believe that it is usually a leak in one of the air bags. Ignored long enough and the constantly running air suspension compressor burns out. At least this is my impression.

If you are at a point where your bag[s] leak and you are going to replace your suspension...and your compressor motor is not burned out.... Quite some while ago I owned an Audi allroad with air suspension. A lot of owners drove their allroads incredibly hard- very abusive- and anything that could fail-did. Also, just like our Lexus.. even normal use it wasn't uncommon for these to eventually fail. I have heard that sharp rocks and road debric are the usual culperts. So.. let me share with you the following.

When my Audi front bag started leaking the front went severely low to where the vehicle wasn't driveable. I could only get replacement units of the entire suspension piece so I tried a "fix" that a few Audi guys had used - putting some of the Flat Sealant goop into the air bag. I can't recall the exact process but it was a lot easier than I imagiined. I would be surprised that if you Googled this it wouldn't show up with a DIY. Again- it was easy. Important to do both sides to even out the suspension. The only downside was that it stiffened up the suspension considerably- which may be too stiff for most LS- yes, even Sport- drivers. It's a cheap fix and if it works for you.... it's certainly worth a try and I would try it if mine leaked. The only real caution is that it's important to do both sides- and what wasn't discussed on the Audi sites back then is: It is ALSO important to do all 4 corners. Why? If you are going fast and hit a big bump on the highway the suspension with the Flat Goop will respond like a SPORT suspension and the other part will seem lazy and VERY soft- to the point it may seem out of control. [Ask how I know this!]. I find the Sport setting just fine and appropriate to the LS so there is no way I would do this unless i was otherwise going to replace the suspension.

Again, this is incredibly cheap to try and it should enable you to keep driving it safely- perhaps in "Comfort" mode- which would probably feel stiffer than Spor with the stock suspension? On my allroad the increased stiffness matched the attitude of the car well. Had I known how well it would work I would have done it as a performance enchanment. .

I do believe this could result in a permanent "fix" if your tastes are more towards a high performance big sedan [Think AMG S Type or M5]. It also could prove intolerably stiff for most of us.. me too. You better believe I will give this a try if my suspension starts leaking because of a leaking air bag. Just some food for thought. If anyone knows of this being tried on an LS I would appreciate a reference being added to this.

Last edited by BigMau; 01-10-18 at 10:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Tked (06-17-23)