LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

60k Service, replacement door panel, and extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 08:25 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by enoch861
Wait, isn't that section that's turning black typically leather? I didn't know they make non leather versions.
I believe the only model that has the leather door handle is the L model. It has semi-aniline and there is stitching on the handle area. The SWB gets a synthetic/pseudo-leather material that, as you've read, can potentially deteriorate and become "gummy"/sticky.
Old 02-23-17, 08:27 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Wait, isn't that section that's turning black typically leather? I didn't know they make non leather versions.
You would think. I refer to is as some kind of synthetic clay/rubber material. Don't let your pet get a hold of it.
Old 02-23-17, 09:00 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I believe the only model that has the leather door handle is the L model. It has semi-aniline and there is stitching on the handle area. The SWB gets a synthetic/pseudo-leather material that, as you've read, can potentially deteriorate and become "gummy"/sticky.
I have a SWB and mine are stitched leather. Both front and rear.

Originally Posted by DarKnight
You would think. I refer to is as some kind of synthetic clay/rubber material. Don't let your pet get a hold of it.
I honestly had no idea there were versions without leather. That's really odd.
Old 02-23-17, 09:39 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

I have a SWB and mine are stitched leather. Both front and rear.

I honestly had no idea there were versions without leather. That's really odd.
Then when your car was first purchased, it was requested as an upgrade to S/A.
As I understand it, there aren't a whole host of SWB's with that upgraded option.
Im not sure why Lexus decided to do this, as the flagship-whether SMB/LWB, should have the same door and console material. The upgrade for the leather and stitched dash that comes in the 600 is an understandable difference, as it is the premium flagship for Lexus.
Old 02-23-17, 01:27 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Then when your car was first purchased, it was requested as an upgrade to S/A.
As I understand it, there aren't a whole host of SWB's with that upgraded option.
Im not sure why Lexus decided to do this, as the flagship-whether SMB/LWB, should have the same door and console material. The upgrade for the leather and stitched dash that comes in the 600 is an understandable difference, as it is the premium flagship for Lexus.
I was just looking through eBay and saw 3 2007 SWB models that had the stitched door panel/arm rest. Do you think that many people requested the upgrade or was there some package that had the upgrade and didn't mention it? I was hoping one of them had the window sticker posted, but none of them did. Was the luxury package not available on the SWB?
Old 02-23-17, 01:33 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by COOLIS
I was just looking through eBay and saw 3 2007 SWB models that had the stitched door panel/arm rest. Do you think that many people requested the upgrade or was there some package that had the upgrade and didn't mention it? I was hoping one of them had the window sticker posted, but none of them did. Was the luxury package not available on the SWB?
I hope that someone will chime in shortly who knows more about the packages than I, but I believe that you have done a better job in explaining than I have, as yes-I believe there was a luxury package available for the SWB, and not solely a request by the potential initial buyer.
My mistake and my apologies.
Old 02-23-17, 02:15 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

I hope that someone will chime in shortly who knows more about the packages than I, but I believe that you have done a better job in explaining than I have, as yes-I believe there was a luxury package available for the SWB, and not solely a request by the potential initial buyer.
Wasn't trying to prove you wrong by any means, just genuinely curious. The 2007 LS brochure says nothing about the SWB having a leather upgrade even as a standalone option. The 01-06 LS had a defined set of packages with very few options, whereas the 07-current seems to have more standalone options. I'm glad to know if I ever consider an 07-09 to look out for a model with the leather upgrade to mitigate the sticky door panel issue. I know the dash could still be susceptible, but at least this is one less thing to have to replace.
Old 02-23-17, 02:26 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

I'll post the options on my Windows Sticker when I get home. Is it possibly the package that includes the rear reclining seats? I think it was called Comfort or something, can't really remember. Either way we'll find out when I get home from work.

Last edited by enoch861; 02-23-17 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-23-17, 03:07 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

So after going through the options list, nothing sticks out.
The optional packages I have are the following:
  • Lexus Link (Digital)
  • Navigation/Mark Levinson/Advanced Parking Guidance
  • Intuitive Parking Assist
  • One Touch Open/close Power Trunk & Power Door Closers
  • Comfort Plus Package
  • Preferred Accessory Package
Build date on my car is 05/07 with a delivery on 09/07. The online Lexus Drivers site doesn't show anything being changed/replaced in regards to doors or anything like that other than dual pane windows being installed at 39k miles.
Old 02-24-17, 04:11 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

So after going through the options list, nothing sticks out.
The optional packages I have are the following:
  • Lexus Link (Digital)
  • Navigation/Mark Levinson/Advanced Parking Guidance
  • Intuitive Parking Assist
  • One Touch Open/close Power Trunk & Power Door Closers
  • Comfort Plus Package
  • Preferred Accessory Package
Build date on my car is 05/07 with a delivery on 09/07. The online Lexus Drivers site doesn't show anything being changed/replaced in regards to doors or anything like that other than dual pane windows being installed at 39k miles.
It must be the comfort plus package. Just found this from a Lexus press release:

"The Comfort Plus Package includes those features plus semi-aniline leather, power rear seats with lumbar massage and power butterfly headrests, and rear seat-mounted side airbags."
Old 02-24-17, 08:05 PM
PMIRO2
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
So in other words, unless you're getting your car repaired and serviced at the dealer, Lexus won't stand by their product for a recall? Anyone else experiencing this with the door panels? I know the panels are very expensive, still it's disheartening to think that Lexus won't replace them unless you're spending your money at the dealer. So someone like me...who is absolutely **** about vehicle maintenance and repairs will get turned down for the door panels because I don't take my car to the dealer for $125 oil changes?

And your door panels looks great! I can't believe how filthy your old panel was, how did you get it that dirty? I have the same color combination and I too can't seem to get mine clean anymore, but wow, it's not as bad as that. Yikes.
Yes. I was shocked how they go about deciding what to cover. They said condition did not even matter. I got into a pretty heated conversation with corporate. This is my 2nd Lexus and both have had all services done at Lexus. My LS was certified and I even financed through Lexus. Unbelievable.

Not it sure how the panel got so dirty. My mechanic who did the coilovers and headlights got them grimey originally during the installs. The Florida heat did not help. They would get pretty sticky during the summer and just seemed to deteriorate.
Old 02-26-17, 12:40 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

It wasn't until 2010 that the SWB had an option that included semi-aniline leather. The Comfort Plus package that year added semi-aniline leather, butterfly headrests, and rear seat lumbar message. Despite this, IIRC, Tee's 2007 SWB had semi-aniline leather, so I guess it could somehow happen, but it's definitely unusual.