LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lane Keep Assist

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-17, 07:32 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Lane Keep Assist

Hi.

I bought my 2010 LS460 L in August 2016 and have been wondering if the LKA can be added since I have adaptive cruise control? I saw a YouTube video about this but I am still unclear if you can change out the button for ACC to the one that has both ACC and LKA and it would work.

Is is this a pipe dream that anyone can help validate if it would work?

any help and/or thoughts is appreciated.

Thanks,

Cubby
Old 02-16-17, 10:26 PM
Arvid
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Lexus LS600 with APCS (advanced pre-collision system) and driver attention monitor (the row of LED's on the steering column) ..see picture above.. can use the system. I should think it also can be retrofitted on the LS 460 ( on 2010 model) if they have factory installed APCS and the driver attention monitor

Read more on my 2008 LS600hL with it installed here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...g-wheel-3.html

Regards
Arvid

Last edited by Arvid; 02-16-17 at 11:14 PM. Reason: more info
The following users liked this post:
Cubbylex (02-18-17)
Old 02-17-17, 04:11 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Hi Cubbylex, I checked photos of your beautiful car. It does not have the advanced pre-collision package (stereo cameras above rear view mirror), so you cannot replace the ACC button with the ACC/LKA button and get the LKA function activated.
Cubbylex (02-18-17)
Old 02-17-17, 07:02 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks Arvid and comotiger. LKA is the only feature I really miss my car.

I have read Arvid's post on LKA. Based on that, I assume driver attention monitor is prerequisite to LKA. However reading comotigers post, adv pre collision (stereo cameras above rear view mirror) is prerequisite. My car do have camera above rear view mirror. Will I be able to 'add' LKA?.

This is the only feature makes me to look for newer cars. If I can solve this, will save $25k !!!!!!!! . Pl help me save that 25k ...
Old 02-17-17, 07:26 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm actively looking at a 2013+ LS currently and, while it isn't a crucial need, it is shockingly difficult to find a LS with LKA. I think it is a cool feature, test drove an Infiniti with LKA and I can see how it is a useful function. Combine that with the fact that most of us LS owners keep these vehicles for a long time, we *shouldn't* have to jimmy-rig this vehicle to have a function that most other vehicles have as a standard function. I'd argue LKA would be a more useful and used feature compared to adaptive cruise.

Anyway /endrant just wishing there were more LS units with LKA; I'm not even to find too many new ones with this function. Yet it is standard (as far as I understand) with brand new Avalon's 2016 onwards.
Old 02-17-17, 09:46 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

It's a very common option on the '17 ES, also. I think it may be one of the "standard" options on all but the no-options, loss-leader, ad cars.
Old 02-17-17, 10:06 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by satiger
Thanks Arvid and comotiger. LKA is the only feature I really miss my car.

I have read Arvid's post on LKA. Based on that, I assume driver attention monitor is prerequisite to LKA. However reading comotigers post, adv pre collision (stereo cameras above rear view mirror) is prerequisite. My car do have camera above rear view mirror. Will I be able to 'add' LKA?.

This is the only feature makes me to look for newer cars. If I can solve this, will save $25k !!!!!!!! . Pl help me save that 25k ...
I thought the Driver Attention Monitor (DAM) was always packaged together with the LKA (and stereo cameras), because that is the top safety option (advanced pre-collision package) in our cars. So, it's news to me that your car has the stereo cameras but not the DAM. And if you have the stereo cameras, I am surprised you don't already have LKA. See photo below for descriptions.

But if you are sure your car has the stereo cameras but not the DAM or LKA, I am willing to hazard a guess that you can indeed install a functioning LKA button as Arvid did. Whether the Japanese supplier is still selling this button assembly remains to be seen. Note however also that while having a functional LKA option is great, the dash light will still not work, and you won't get the LKA graphics on the dash display.

satiger (02-17-17)
Old 02-17-17, 10:18 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Wandl
I'm actively looking at a 2013+ LS currently and, while it isn't a crucial need, it is shockingly difficult to find a LS with LKA. I think it is a cool feature, test drove an Infiniti with LKA and I can see how it is a useful function. Combine that with the fact that most of us LS owners keep these vehicles for a long time, we *shouldn't* have to jimmy-rig this vehicle to have a function that most other vehicles have as a standard function. I'd argue LKA would be a more useful and used feature compared to adaptive cruise.
Anyway /endrant just wishing there were more LS units with LKA; I'm not even to find too many new ones with this function. Yet it is standard (as far as I understand) with brand new Avalon's 2016 onwards.
Originally Posted by sktn77a
It's a very common option on the '17 ES, also. I think it may be one of the "standard" options on all but the no-options, loss-leader, ad cars.
When the LKA debuted in the LS460 in 2008-2010, it was a fairly rare safety feature in general. And as an option, Lexus has continued to offer it only in the top safety package (for 2017, it is a $6500 option, see pic below), which is why very few LSs have it. In the past few years, the technology and equipment have gotten so much smaller, better and cheaper than before that LKA and APC system are available across all models offered by virtually all car makers. I am sure the LS500 will have LKA and APCS as fairly common options, maybe not standard.

For 4LS cars, these options are found in less than 5% (my guess) of the vehicles. So, very rare indeed

Last edited by comotiger; 02-17-17 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-17-17, 11:59 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks comotiger. I mistaken automatic high beam sensor for lane departure sensor . Looks like my only option is to trade-in.
Old 02-17-17, 01:51 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by satiger
Thanks comotiger. I mistaken automatic high beam sensor for lane departure sensor . Looks like my only option is to trade-in.
Tiger to Tiger, no thanks needed. Just professional courtesy .

If you wait another year to trade-in, I think you could get an awesome deal on a depreciated G90 that would have all the bells and whistles that you want such as LKA, and others that are not available in the 2013+ LS460s such as massaging front seats, surround view cameras, multicolored ambient lighting, and a fully digital instrument cluster. Oddly enough, the G90 dispensed with the rear seat entertainment system found in the 2016 Equus, which was a bad move IMO. When I bought my 2014 LS a year ago, I was tempted by the G90, but ultimately I just didn't want to wait another 2-2.5 years before I could start driving a car with all these options.
Old 02-18-17, 02:29 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks everyone who contributed to this question. The knowledge here is amazing and clear.

I didn't think it would be as easy as changing a button.

Cubby