LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

460 SWB vs 430 rear legroom

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-17, 10:18 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Dr. J, I agree that there are many sound reasons for getting the SWB over the LWB. I was just debating the "harder to park" reason. I think you have seen some of the photos I have posted on the "Parking Strategies" thread. I live in a college town with spacious parking ramps. Whenever I travel to St. Louis for work or pleasure, I have acquired a knack for finding end spots. I don't envy driving and parking in the larger cities you mentioned, so I am living a charmed life. So maybe my perspective is a bit different.
Old 02-07-17, 10:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

It totally depends on where you park. I have a small one car garage, and a LWB fits but with 2 inches or so to spare. I also have an underground parking garage I park in for work that while the spaces are okay the garage itself is very tight and even maneuvering my SWB around I have to make multi-point turns, etc. I also routinely drive down into DC and have to park on the street where the added length is an issue, and garages down in DC are very tight. Often my SWB just fits lengthwise in a space and a LWB would hang out into the aisle 4 inches or so.

Out in the midwest I get it, but here on the east coast its much tighter, cities are older... I could do a LWB car and make it work, but the added space is just not worth it for me because the back seat almost never gets occupied.

I actually don't like the fact that all flagship cars now are LWB...
Old 02-07-17, 10:30 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I've notice parking spaces do vary in size and seems much smaller in the California, Nevada and many other states. That's not a issue in the south unless its paid parking where vehicles are parked as close as possible. The LWB 460 is safe, comfortable, long, big and spacious and that's the way I like my cars.
Old 02-07-17, 10:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
The LWB 460 is safe, comfortable, long, big and spacious and that's the way I like me cars.
Same, but the SWB is all of those things too, just a little less long.
Old 02-07-17, 12:23 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
It is amazing the amount of room, but for me it just isn't necessary, and the trade off of a vehicle that's 5 inches longer, harder to park, won't fit in my garage at all, or as well. Not worth the tradeoff to me.
it is also about 100 pounds heavier, which was something that bothered me a little bit at first

Originally Posted by comotiger
Dr. J, I agree that there are many sound reasons for getting the SWB over the LWB. I was just debating the "harder to park" reason. I think you have seen some of the photos I have posted on the "Parking Strategies" thread. I live in a college town with spacious parking ramps. Whenever I travel to St. Louis for work or pleasure, I have acquired a knack for finding end spots. I don't envy driving and parking in the larger cities you mentioned, so I am living a charmed life. So maybe my perspective is a bit different.
I live in the city and "end spots" are my bread and butter

If I cant find a good spot I wont park, I wont be able to relax and enjoy myself otherwise.
Old 02-07-17, 01:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The heavy doesn't bother me. Its already really heavy lol
Old 02-07-17, 04:30 PM
shinbob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have an underground parking garage I park in for work that while the spaces are okay the garage itself is very tight and even maneuvering my SWB around I have to make multi-point turns, etc.
In my area, there are a lot of multi-level parking garages, and a lot of the newer ones are tighter than the older ones. The parking spaces are adequate, and it's easier if I back it in, but it's the navigating around the 180 degree turns that gets really tight, especially if there's another car coming down the other way.

Having a 360 degree view might help with this, but I have no experience with it yet.
Old 02-07-17, 04:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah they are, it's almost like when they design them they forget that people have to drive through them.
Old 02-10-17, 11:32 AM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

The SWB 460 has less interior volume than the LS430 but I agree in reality the legroom difference is marginal. Headroom is categorically better though; at least for the driver.

Legroom in the back of the L is pretty cavernous; even with the front seat all the way back I can't touch it if I have my shoulders square against the seatback.

I agree with Steve that the car is already challenging to park so I wouldn't really want it longer. I can't believe the 5LS is even bigger. I find my 208" long S Class easier to park because of its better visibility; but finding spaces for that battleship can be a challenge.

The 430 is the goldilocks car; not to big, not too small. I think had there been no L model everybody would say the same about the 460.

It totally depends on where you park. I have a small one car garage, and a LWB fits but with 2 inches or so to spare. I also have an underground parking garage I park in for work that while the spaces are okay the garage itself is very tight and even maneuvering my SWB around I have to make multi-point turns, etc. I also routinely drive down into DC and have to park on the street where the added length is an issue, and garages down in DC are very tight. Often my SWB just fits lengthwise in a space and a LWB would hang out into the aisle 4 inches or so.

Out in the midwest I get it, but here on the east coast its much tighter, cities are older... I could do a LWB car and make it work, but the added space is just not worth it for me because the back seat almost never gets occupied.

Old 02-10-17, 12:02 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

The LS is a large full size and comfortable automobile. With the rear view camera and parking assist it shouldn't be challenging to park. Back in the '60 & '70 many cars like the Cadillac Deville and Lincoln Town Car would make the LWB LS seems midsize and I imagine they would be challenging.
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (02-10-17)
Old 02-10-17, 12:03 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jainla
The SWB 460 has less interior volume than the LS430 but I agree in reality the legroom difference is marginal. Headroom is categorically better though; at least for the driver.

Legroom in the back of the L is pretty cavernous; even with the front seat all the way back I can't touch it if I have my shoulders square against the seatback.

I agree with Steve that the car is already challenging to park so I wouldn't really want it longer. I can't believe the 5LS is even bigger. I find my 208" long S Class easier to park because of its better visibility; but finding spaces for that battleship can be a challenge.

The 430 is the goldilocks car; not to big, not too small. I think had there been no L model everybody would say the same about the 460.
Thank you, jainla and everyone, for your replies. I will see the difference myself tomorrow afternoon when I test drive a local white 2013 SWB. Interestingly, the red 2013 F SPORT I thought was already sold in San Francisco just came back on the market. The dealer said the buyer backed out. I may have to take a look at that one too but still undecided on the standard air suspension on the F Sport.

There is a Lexus dealership with both a white 2014 SWB and a white 2013 LWB. That LWB still looks very nice but I should remember that the LWB is a good 4-inches longer than our former Sienna minivan and the van wasn't always easy to park (thank goodness it at least had sliding doors).

So conflicted because I also feel one SUV in the garage would be great for transporting bikes and supporting our active lifestyle and I find myself cross-shopping a 2014 MDX, 2016 RX, and 2011 LX 570 (just not into the GX). All nice SUVs but none of them get my blood rushing like the 2013+ LS. Maybe it's that time-honored "midlife crisis" setting in as I approach 40 years old. The aforementioned SUVs may suit our family better but I also don't feel any emotional excitement with owning any of those cars and I want to make sure I'm happy with my next car for a long, long time. Fortunately, the wife isn't pressuring the decision one way or another, just my own internal conflict between getting what I really want versus getting something a little more practical. I kind of like that split tailgate of the LX but have read it doesn't ride that smoothly over bumps. Haven't test driven an LX myself. For now, will take it a step at a time and test drive the SWB LS tomorrow first.
Old 02-10-17, 01:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The LX is a nice vehicle, they ride very well, great highway vehicle. But, they are very heavy, and feel heavy, a lot to drive around day in and day out, and they aren't quite as nice inside as the LS, or as refined as the LS.
Old 02-10-17, 02:18 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
So conflicted because I also feel one SUV in the garage would be great for transporting bikes and supporting our active lifestyle and I find myself cross-shopping a 2014 MDX, 2016 RX, and 2011 LX 570 (just not into the GX). All nice SUVs but none of them get my blood rushing like the 2013+ LS. Maybe it's that time-honored "midlife crisis" setting in as I approach 40 years old. The aforementioned SUVs may suit our family better but I also don't feel any emotional excitement with owning any of those cars and I want to make sure I'm happy with my next car for a long, long time. Fortunately, the wife isn't pressuring the decision one way or another, just my own internal conflict between getting what I really want versus getting something a little more practical.
I'd say get what makes you happy. I bought this S2000 a month after my daughter was born. She loved it when she was little - we used to go under an overpass right as we got on a local highway, and she'd tell me to floor it so she could hear the exhaust
Attached Thumbnails 460 SWB vs 430 rear legroom-ciara-almario-mulligan-369.jpg  
Old 02-10-17, 02:56 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Honda makes reliable and durable vehicles, I have a '03 Accord I purchased over 20 years ago and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country but my 460 would be first choice.
Old 02-10-17, 03:15 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

As someone who used to own a '73 Coupe DeVille, which had a C-pillar so large, a full-size pickup could hide in the blind spot it created, it's not just the extra two feet of length, the early-to-mid 70s land yachts were really wide, too.

Quick Reply: 460 SWB vs 430 rear legroom