LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

460 SWB vs 430 rear legroom

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-17, 04:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Ugh that sucks.

Only thing I can think of is trading the car in on the Tesla would save him some sales tax. That's not all that much though, couple thousand bucks maybe.

I think what he's saying is that he was approved for the loan on the Tesla with keeping his current loan on the Lexus, meaning he doesn't have to sell the Lexus to buy the Tesla.
Old 02-24-17, 06:29 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Ugh that sucks.

Only thing I can think of is trading the car in on the Tesla would save him some sales tax. That's not all that much though, couple thousand bucks maybe.

I think what he's saying is that he was approved for the loan on the Tesla with keeping his current loan on the Lexus, meaning he doesn't have to sell the Lexus to buy the Tesla.
Oh, you're probably right, Steve. I see now how I misinterpreted the following:

"...sorry for the silence its been a hectic day, I have been approved for the new vehicle with the Lexus included, at this time it doesn't make financial sense to sell her knowing that we would take a $6.5k loss at the current price...Yes, I'm due to pick it [Model S] up next week, I thought it only right to let you know as I got word today, if anything shall change you will be the first know."
Old 02-24-17, 06:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Here's a question for you, as you said the price is pretty good on a car that well optioned, you know it's history. Would it make sense for you to pay him enough to pay it off?

Might not be the deal of the century at that price, but as you said it's not overpaying, and you intend to keep the car a long time you're not going to say 5 years from now "I wish I had paid less"
Old 02-24-17, 06:51 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Here's a question for you, as you said the price is pretty good on a car that well optioned, you know it's history. Would it make sense for you to pay him enough to pay it off?

Might not be the deal of the century at that price, but as you said it's not overpaying, and you intend to keep the car a long time you're not going to say 5 years from now "I wish I had paid less"
I entertained that idea, Steve, but didn't seriously consider it. I felt I was already overpaying a little (and agree with you it is more important to get what you want and be happy rather than pursue the rock bottom price). We don't think we should pay for someone else's loan situation because that really doesn't have anything to do with the car itself. The price we agreed upon just makes me realize how overpriced other offerings are. There are several out-of-State 2013s that are only $34K with comparable mileage so I feel we're already paying a reasonable premium on this local offering. There is also a red 2013 F Sport in the Bay area for $35,991 with 75K miles. I might go test drive it just to have another point of comparison but am not really attracted to it like I was the Nebula Gray example. In short, no, I'd rather wait for the next true opportunity and make more memories with the 430. I really loved that Nebula Gray car but am not desperate to have it.
Old 02-24-17, 07:32 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
I entertained that idea, Steve, but didn't seriously consider it. I felt I was already overpaying a little (and agree with you it is more important to get what you want and be happy rather than pursue the rock bottom price). We don't think we should pay for someone else's loan situation because that really doesn't have anything to do with the car itself. The price we agreed upon just makes me realize how overpriced other offerings are.
Having watched hundreds of LSs over the past year, especially those with highly optioned features like the UltraLux, 39K was on the low end for this car. This was a fairly rare specimen, so Fto1 was definitely not overpaying. I think even 41K would have been reasonable. But definitely not 45K.
Old 02-24-17, 11:02 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Really sorry to hear about the cancelled sale. If the seller gave you his word, then he should have gone through with the sale, but unless there was some written contract, you probably have no leverage.

You will find another. It's just a matter of time. At least you know what you want now and will be more tightly focused on your search.
The following users liked this post:
FatherTo1 (02-24-17)
Old 02-24-17, 02:29 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Wow..
After reading this, I felt as if the deal actually fell through for me... Sorry to hear that, but as we all say, there must be something better for you, it just has yet to surface.
I really do believe that research and patience pays tremendous dividends.
FatherTo1 (02-24-17)
Old 02-24-17, 02:37 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Really sorry that the 2013 did not work out. The quest continues. Perhaps you are meant to have a white on tan 460 that was the original goal. It is only a good thing that you are flexible in that while you do not need AWD, the drive to the mountains is not that far and you could see some use out of a AWD model.

If it was me, I would look for a 2010-2012 Sport Model, but that is just a preference thing as Brembos are the gold standard (brake dust aside) and I personally do prefer the pre 2013 grill.

That said, the revamped interior on the 2013's makes for a very compelling argument and you would not be restricted to RWD like you would with the Sport. May the quest continue!
Old 02-24-17, 02:59 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Thank you for the support, everyone. I felt better after Steve helped me understand that the seller elected to keep the LS, a prudent decision and what I would also have done. Enough sadness and sorrow though, upward and onward we go.

Since the deal didn't close today, that left me extra time in my day to test drive a 2013 Q7, 2017 F-Pace, and 2017 Range Rover Sport. I'll start a separate thread about my thoughts of each.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 02-24-17 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-24-17, 03:45 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

No matter how heart-breaking a lost purchase is, things always works out when it's meant to be. You will find what you're after.
FatherTo1 (02-24-17)
Old 02-24-17, 04:53 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Have you seen the white 2013 LS460L at Coliseum Lexus in Oakland for $45k certified? Seems like a steal for a CPO compared to other L models out there with comparable year/mileage.
Old 02-24-17, 05:44 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by COOLIS
Have you seen the white 2013 LS460L at Coliseum Lexus in Oakland for $45k certified? Seems like a steal for a CPO compared to other L models out there with comparable year/mileage.
Hi COOLIS, thanks and, yes, I spotted that too. I have decided to forgo the 'L' as I didn't like the additional length as much as I thought I would when I test drove a 2011 last month. I believe they have a 2014 SWB priced the same. I still consider it high, especially since they use "no-hassle" pricing, akin to Carmax. Actually, their pricing is comparable to Carmax. It may be CPO but it also doesn't have very many options on either car. I like the exterior color, of course, but don't find anything else really compelling about each car at that price. Thank you for the help, though.
Old 02-25-17, 01:02 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Gbp
Really sorry to hear about the cancelled sale. If the seller gave you his word, then he should have gone through with the sale, but unless there was some written contract, you probably have no leverage.

You will find another. It's just a matter of time. At least you know what you want now and will be more tightly focused on your search.
Only verbal, or rather text, agreement, Gbp. Last Monday, the seller stipulated that the deal be done by Friday and so we agreed. It is okay though. Even if there was a contract, I would feel terrible forcing someone to sell their car if they changed their mind. It would leave a bad taste in my mouth and weigh on my conscience.

For other situations, I certainly would rely or enforce a contract. This was not meant to be. Thank you, Gbp.
Old 02-26-17, 12:51 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Only verbal, or rather text, agreement, Gbp. Last Monday, the seller stipulated that the deal be done by Friday and so we agreed. It is okay though. Even if there was a contract, I would feel terrible forcing someone to sell their car if they changed their mind. It would leave a bad taste in my mouth and weigh on my conscience.

For other situations, I certainly would rely or enforce a contract. This was not meant to be. Thank you, Gbp.
FWIW, I'd have done the same thing as you. I still think the seller was at fault for cancelling the sale. If he had said something like: "Hey, I was just informed that ______, but I understand if you want to stick with the terms of the deal and will honor it", then I would have probably both have let the purchase get cancelled and have had a higher opinion if the seller.

But that's just me...