LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Why so many AWD and no RWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 08:04 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Junglequac
Is it faster? It actually uses the engine from the GX460 and the Middle Eastern edition LS460 which lacks Direct Injection. In think maybe in 2013 or 2010, the ME did get the same Direct/Port Injection 4.6 V8 the 460 got elsewhere from the start. Horsepower is lower and the difference in weight is not that huge.
No it isn't faster. As you say, different engine configuration and makes far less horsepower (about 40 hp), and weight difference is only 200 lbs. Depending on which publication you refer to, the LS is faster (but so marginal that it's a wash).
Old 02-23-17, 08:09 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I think what it is, is the over-all "feel" that the car is "faster". It may be "quicker", but not "faster".
I was able to test drive 2 of them (GS') before actually purchasing the LS, and I have to say that it was a great combination of luxury and auto-athleticism, but I felt that the suspension was a bit too stiff, as going over larger bumps, it was definitely felt in the cabin.
Though the weight differential isn't that large (larger difference in overall vehicle size), the car (GS) did feel more agile, but the difference wasn't exactly night and day.
I really liked the GS460, but as it stands, a car purchase always comes down to personal preference, and for me, I chose the LS because of its rarity, refinement, understated power and over all issue-free track record.
Since ownership, there has not been a single day that I regret my purchase.

Last edited by CRowe14; 02-23-17 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-23-17, 08:30 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

but I felt that the suspension was a bit too stiff, as going over larger bumps, it was definitely felt in the cabin.
That's exactly what Car and Driver noted. They said the car wasn't very comfortable and rode rough when going over ruts and potholes, etc.
Old 02-23-17, 08:36 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
That's exactly what Car and Driver noted. They said the car wasn't very comfortable and rode rough when going over ruts and potholes, etc.
Absolutely agree.
Old 02-23-17, 01:20 PM
GHARP57
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

For what it is worth UGK I am buying my LS from Carmax, it is being shipped out from AZ right now. they have 50 LS's right now in inventory and quite a few black and gray interiors. Might be worth looking at them online. I test drove one that they shipped in for free to make sure I was happy with the vehicle as a whole before I payed the shipping for the one coming out of AZ. The guy I am dealing with here in Charlottesville is great to work with so I may have gotten lucky as far as Carmax customer Service goes. (I did ask the mechanics I talk to for them daily who they like, so I kinda had an edge up on the average salesman walking in)
Old 02-25-17, 02:04 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GHARP57
For what it is worth UGK I am buying my LS from Carmax, it is being shipped out from AZ right now. they have 50 LS's right now in inventory and quite a few black and gray interiors. Might be worth looking at them online. I test drove one that they shipped in for free to make sure I was happy with the vehicle as a whole before I payed the shipping for the one coming out of AZ. The guy I am dealing with here in Charlottesville is great to work with so I may have gotten lucky as far as Carmax customer Service goes. (I did ask the mechanics I talk to for them daily who they like, so I kinda had an edge up on the average salesman walking in)
Congrats! While I tend to stay away from them owing to their prices generally being pretty darn high, they do offer the only good 3rd party warranty that I know of. For I think $50, you can take it to the Lexus dealer (highly recommend) as opposed to having CarMax fix any issues you might have down the road.

I do think CarMax is a treasure for purchasing AMG Mercedes-Benz models and other highly strung vehicles that are still eligible for their killer warranty. Doug DeMuro's articles in Jalopnik on his Range Rover are the stuff of legend. I think he offset the price of the warranty is less than 6 months.

As I do think CarMax bases the warranty prices on the expected reliability of the car, it is highly worth looking into what the cost is for their extended warranty.
Old 02-27-17, 05:33 AM
GHARP57
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Junglequac
Congrats! While I tend to stay away from them owing to their prices generally being pretty darn high, they do offer the only good 3rd party warranty that I know of. For I think $50, you can take it to the Lexus dealer (highly recommend) as opposed to having CarMax fix any issues you might have down the road.

As I do think CarMax bases the warranty prices on the expected reliability of the car, it is highly worth looking into what the cost is for their extended warranty.
Well I made sure the prices were good and the particular one I am bringing in is listed a couple grand below what FMV would be so I was excited about it.

Yes their warranty looks awesome I was slightly disheartened to see the suspension is not covered under their max car but since I am in VA they have to do a state inspection. With the car being an 07 and having 88k miles the air shocks may have to be replaced before they can sell it to me, so here's to me hoping they were recently done or they will do it!

As far as the deductible you can have a $50, $100, $200 or $300. If you bring the car back to Carmax for the warranty work then they cut the deductible by $50 bucks, so there is a chance to have a $0 deductible. I will most likely be going with the $100 deductible and since I am getting an L model with the luxury package anything not a wear item I can take to Lexus and they will fix even if I request factory parts to be installed. I have the option for the MaxCare warranty for 4 more years out to 150k miles so I think I will be in a win/win situation buying their warranty (which is about $2200 for the $100 deductible)

Sorry to thread jack UGK I still do hope the search is going well!