LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

im running out of sources

Old 02-02-17, 07:19 PM
Tummy916
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im running out of sources

Hey guys first post on a new account mainly because ive been through google and all over CL.

So.... i have a 2007 LS460L with all the bells and whistles. My question is has anyone ever replaced the factory air compressor with an aftermarket one, added an air tank,change the factory air lines, and add a air management controller system? My goal here is to just cut the cost for the sake of being cheap. I wanna be able to air up and air out but i dont feel like dropping 4-8k just to replace everything.i believe my bags are fine considering i only have 30k miles. anyways im wandering off topic so any other questions that may need answering in order to help solve my problem ill gladly answer.

once again thanks for taking the time reading CL.

P.s I heard of datasystems but i heard they take forever to air up and air out which steered me away from this option
Old 02-03-17, 03:46 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts

There's a Lexus group on Facebook where people show their bagged LS 460s all the time. Search for LEXUS LS 400/430/460/600

Here's the first post on there this morning:

Old 02-03-17, 04:59 PM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tummy916
Hey guys first post on a new account mainly because ive been through google and all over CL.

So.... i have a 2007 LS460L with all the bells and whistles. My question is has anyone ever replaced the factory air compressor with an aftermarket one, added an air tank,change the factory air lines, and add a air management controller system? My goal here is to just cut the cost for the sake of being cheap. I wanna be able to air up and air out but i dont feel like dropping 4-8k just to replace everything.i believe my bags are fine considering i only have 30k miles. anyways im wandering off topic so any other questions that may need answering in order to help solve my problem ill gladly answer.

once again thanks for taking the time reading CL.

P.s I heard of datasystems but i heard they take forever to air up and air out which steered me away from this option
To answer your question, yes there is a solution similar to this. In Japan there is an aftermarket kit that utilizes your factor air struts and adds a compressor, lines, fittings etc. What I will say however, is that when browsing Minkara and some of the Japanese car forums is that the consensus is that they wish they replaced the struts. Over time, the OEM struts were not meant to be lowered/raised with such frequency and inevitably lead to accelerated wear/tear. I had DataSystems before, and yes, it was painfully slow.

While your bags may only have 30K miles at the moment, the question really becomes how you plan to hedge the eventual replacement of these struts since they were never meant to be lowered/raised like that. Replacing the OEM struts on our cars is the cost equivalent to just buying after market struts imo.

Anyway, here's a pic of the kit I was referring to.

And Installed:

If this kit and this route is truly what you want to do, PM me and I can put you in touch with someone that can import it over for you.
The following users liked this post:
Chaos236 (02-15-17)
Old 02-03-17, 08:32 PM
Tummy916
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brianlin87
To answer your question, yes there is a solution similar to this. In Japan there is an aftermarket kit that utilizes your factor air struts and adds a compressor, lines, fittings etc. What I will say however, is that when browsing Minkara and some of the Japanese car forums is that the consensus is that they wish they replaced the struts. Over time, the OEM struts were not meant to be lowered/raised with such frequency and inevitably lead to accelerated wear/tear. I had DataSystems before, and yes, it was painfully slow.

While your bags may only have 30K miles at the moment, the question really becomes how you plan to hedge the eventual replacement of these struts since they were never meant to be lowered/raised like that. Replacing the OEM struts on our cars is the cost equivalent to just buying after market struts imo.

Anyway, here's a pic of the kit I was referring to.

And Installed:

If this kit and this route is truly what you want to do, PM me and I can put you in touch with someone that can import it over for you.

with this setup later down the road when my OEM strust and bags need to be replaced am i able to just buy aftermarket struts like Accuair or something like that and just slap them on ? or would i have to replace everything again
Old 02-03-17, 08:35 PM
Tummy916
Driver School Candidate

with this setup later down the road when my OEM strust and bags need to be replaced am i able to just buy aftermarket struts like Accuair or something like that and just slap them on ? or would i have to replace everything again
also my reasoning for not buying the new struts yet is so i can have the air managment and stuff installed and play around with it while saving up more money for the new struts untill the oem's go bad
Old 02-06-17, 03:25 PM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

with this setup later down the road when my OEM struts and bags need to be replaced am i able to just buy aftermarket struts like Accuair or something like that and just slap them on ? or would i have to replace everything again
Chances are if you pair this type of management with struts like Accuair/Air Runner/UAS, etc, you'll need another compressor and a more comprehensive air management system.

also my reasoning for not buying the new struts yet is so i can have the air management and stuff installed and play around with it while saving up more money for the new struts until the oem's go bad
It sounds like you're saying you're willing to pay for labor twice as you save up more money for more parts. My personal opinion with stuff like this (particularly because it's so labor intensive) is to do it right one-time, or don't do it at all. There's no point in buying temporary parts for such a large purchase and then ultimately ripping it all out to replace it again.
Old 02-07-17, 06:16 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Not a great idea... Plus you'd have to drill and tap the OEM bag housings to install larger fittings for the bigger airlines.

I'd Just wait and do it right the first time..it'll be worth it
Old 02-08-17, 07:40 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Not just bad idea - pure madness. TEMS is NOT your 'air suspension'.