LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2009 LS460 - no start and have done some research

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-17, 09:18 AM
rino924
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2009 LS460 - no start and have done some research

Hey everyone, been a lurker ever since we got my wife her first CT a few years ago and she is already on her second one. I currently drive an F150 but I have an opportunity to get into an 09 LS460, Has about 95k miles on it and definitely needs some TLC. It's an old car that used to be a company car and has been sitting for some time. Before they parked it down to sit it was having some issues with starting and no key recognition. Back last summer I was toying around with it and reading all I could as I am fairly resourceful on the forums. I threw a new battery in and replaced the battery twice in the key fob. Rarely would it start. Most of the time it won't recognize the key even when you hold it up to the button. There was one time I was told it started and then wouldn't turn off. Figured it is something more ingrained in the electronics of the ignition or something that would need replaced. I vaguely remember a thread on this but I cannot for the life of me find it. Most end up being battery, key fob and maybe a starter. I think I can rule out starter though.

Also needs things like tires, brakes, rotors, all fluids changed, deep deep clean and this issue resolved. Trying to ensure it is worth my time on how to go about diagnosing the issues. If I grab it I need to have it towed but would like to get an idea on the whole ignition piece. All other things I can do on my own so figured if this was a common problem and fairly inexpensive I can send it right to the dealer.

Plan would be to daily this so I can keep miles off the truck until my wife's grandma gives us her mint 01 ES300 platinum with 47k miles. Always like having 3 in the stable

Thanks for your time!
Old 02-01-17, 09:20 AM
rino924
Driver School Candidate

I will say I'd like to take into dealer/reputable shop vs trouble shoot at my house due to not having the time/space to really dig into the root issue. At one point I sold a lot of my car tools when I stopped working on my cars every weekend and moved into the city where I didn't have the space.
Old 02-01-17, 09:35 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

To much TLC with this one. To many other LS on the market to choose from.
Old 02-01-17, 09:37 AM
rino924
Driver School Candidate

The price I'd be paying is what makes this all potentially make sense. I'd only pay a couple grand for it.
Old 02-01-17, 09:42 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

The wireless-key electronics in these cars are very reliable - we just don't see many problems related to that reported here.

You likely know this but just in case your don't: If you get in your car, with the wireless key, and press and hold the brake pedal, the green LED in the Start button will illuminate. If this doesn't happen then the key is not being recognized, or it is not being interrogated. Possible reasons are, wrong key or defective key, brake pedal switch, RFI.

As to "one time I was told it started and then wouldn't turn off," that seems very unlikely. The key doesn't even need to present to be able to turn the ignition off by pressing the Start switch.
Old 02-01-17, 09:42 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Couple of grand? Maybe it doesn't start because it's missing the engine . Honestly, if you have the service records, you can check whether this 2009 has had issues like control arms, brake actuator etc. addressed. If it has, then 2K would be daylight robbery. I am sure the starting problem can be addressed by an indy shop. Go for it!
Old 02-01-17, 09:51 AM
rino924
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I just didn't want to get into it and spend thousands more. Only reason I even considered it was due to how cheap I could be in this thing in total.
Old 02-01-17, 10:08 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Still, let's say you have to spend 5K to get the car in top shape, you cannot find a 2009 with 95K for 7 grand. That would be an amazing deal. Does it have ML audio?
Old 02-01-17, 10:12 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

rino - Do you know - Has the vehicle been crashed? I ask because I had a car that, only bumped a black lab (and it lived, was only sore), but it dented the LF fender. And immediately the car went nuts, because evidently some wires were cut, chaffed, shorted ... something. The way the vehicle is acting like you're describing, it is as if the wiring somewhere has been compromised.
Old 02-01-17, 10:22 AM
rino924
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by comotiger
Still, let's say you have to spend 5K to get the car in top shape, you cannot find a 2009 with 95K for 7 grand. That would be an amazing deal. Does it have ML audio?
I don't think it does, I'll have to swing over to it later to check. No nav so I'm assuming it doesn't.

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
rino - Do you know - Has the vehicle been crashed? I ask because I had a car that, only bumped a black lab (and it lived, was only sore), but it dented the LF fender. And immediately the car went nuts, because evidently some wires were cut, chaffed, shorted ... something. The way the vehicle is acting like you're describing, it is as if the wiring somewhere has been compromised.
Might have been but carfax comes back clean. Looks like there are some door dings in the rear door and the front bumper where it meets the fender pokes out a little. Looks like it just needs a new fastener on the corner to tuck it back.
Old 02-01-17, 10:49 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rino924
I don't think it does, I'll have to swing over to it later to check. No nav so I'm assuming it doesn't.
You are correct, no ML. This is one of the few 2009s without the Nav screen. That means you have no backup camera either. I am attaching a quick price check on NADA. In worst shape, it is still worth over 13K! If you are really going to be able buy it for 2K, and invested 5K, you are still going to come out with a high value car. I say go for it!

Old 02-01-17, 02:25 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

The car-side smartkey starting module is messed up. It is separate from the door access module. Mine would ask to touch the fob to the start button, even with new batteries in the fob. Even then, it stranded me for 10 minutes once. The dealer fixed it by replacing the module and reprogramming the fobs.
Old 02-01-17, 04:24 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I agree with some of the other members here......you're stealing that car, even if it IS missing the engine! I'd be all over it and figure out the issues later.
Old 02-01-17, 06:54 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Only one thing to beware of, has the car been flood damaged? This can cause all kinds of electrical problems like the ones you describe. If the car wasn't submitted for an insurance claim (total loss), this wouldn't show up on any title history.
Old 02-02-17, 07:43 AM
rino924
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tec80
The car-side smartkey starting module is messed up. It is separate from the door access module. Mine would ask to touch the fob to the start button, even with new batteries in the fob. Even then, it stranded me for 10 minutes once. The dealer fixed it by replacing the module and reprogramming the fobs.
Looked up pricing on that and it doesn't look too bad!

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Only one thing to beware of, has the car been flood damaged? This can cause all kinds of electrical problems like the ones you describe. If the car wasn't submitted for an insurance claim (total loss), this wouldn't show up on any title history.
This car spent it's life in Arkansas for the most part. It was a company exec car for a while from a business that we acquired and was basically abandoned. It has now been in the same parking spot for damn near a year and a half right outside my office.

Quick Reply: 2009 LS460 - no start and have done some research