LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2012 or wait a little on a 13 / 14?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-17, 07:51 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

AWD up here in the North also boost the vehicles price a little. It is interesting to see how the leather in the 430 really holds up better then early 460's. Particularly the drivers seat. Thanks for everyone's input. I'll have to ponder on it for a bit.

Last edited by Lexuslsguy; 01-31-17 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-01-17, 04:06 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

While I do personally prefer the appearance of the pre 2013's, I agree with many of the above that given you are well within spitting distance of a very nice 2013+ to go that way.

It was a pretty extensive refresh incorporating I think they said 6000 parts so heaven knows it is the 2.0 or 3.0 version of the LS 460. Tough though that said by 2012, the control arms were seemingly worked out and as was the brake actuator so while there might be 6000 redesigned parts, not sure what beyond infotainment really made a huge difference.
Old 02-01-17, 06:29 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Right now I can't find a 13 in the color combo I want for less then $40k. Searching within 300 miles / clean title. They are holding their value about 10 grand more then the 12's it seems right now. Not worth the extra money in my opinion. I am leaning towards waiting another 6 months and looking for a 13 again. I have been using Lexus drivers to review the dealer service history on my top choices and all the 12's have had more service visit then the 13's. I'm really leaning towards waiting for a 13+.
Old 02-01-17, 06:40 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
Right now I can't find a 13 in the color combo I want for less then $40k. Searching within 300 miles / clean title. They are holding their value about 10 grand more then the 12's it seems right now. Not worth the extra money in my opinion. I am leaning towards waiting another 6 months and looking for a 13 again. I have been using Lexus drivers to review the dealer service history on my top choices and all the 12's have had more service visit then the 13's. I'm really leaning towards waiting for a 13+.
Interesting. Even on my 2007, which was a one owner, the service records were nothing more than every 5000 miles like clockwork. The recall on the valve springs was done at one of the 5000 mile intervals.

Regardless, if you can get a 2013 for anywhere near what you can get a 2012 for, it truly makes financial sense as the newer the more valuable on the whole. As I paid cash and while easily could have put down the money I paid for my 2007 on honestly any car I wanted, just did/do not want car payments so it was a different deal for me and while I could have stretched to a 2012, getting into the one as I did which needed zero deferred maintenance and had brand new tires and brakes for $16,500 was simply too good to pass up.

It did need a "dent" fixed on the trunk that was massively undersold as to its severity (guy backed up into a mailbox; how with the sensors I will never know) which added around $900 to what I reckon was needed, but still cheaper than tires!
Old 02-01-17, 07:41 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Junglequac
...still cheaper than tires!
Which tires? Put new Conti's on mine for $650 total shipped from TireRack and installed at Firestone.
Old 02-02-17, 06:25 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 213374U
Which tires? Put new Conti's on mine for $650 total shipped from TireRack and installed at Firestone.
I have Michelin Pilot HX MXM4's that were replaced 5000 miles before my purchase. As I have all the service records from new, I will look up the exact price, but after mounting, balance, and alignment, every car I have owned with 18's has always cost at or more than $1000 once all is said and done.
Looking at Tire Rack, my $1000 reckoning seems about spot on when done at the dealer. They cost between $245 and $221 each on Tire Rack FWIW.

When I lived in SW Florida, I had Pilot Sport 2's. Unfortunately, it gets too cold here to consider them. Moreover, most likely overkill for this car. That said, I remain a big fan of Michelin and while they tend to be more expensive than many other brands, do tend to hold up.

Last edited by Junglequac; 02-02-17 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-02-17, 08:35 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

If you can afford to wait, I would wait. I would even consider expanding the search radius to 500 miles; I mean what's another 3 hours if it is finding the right car for you?
Time is the #1 enemy of used car dealers, use that to your advantage.
Old 02-02-17, 08:52 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
If you can afford to wait, I would wait. I would even consider expanding the search radius to 500 miles; I mean what's another 3 hours if it is finding the right car for you?
I bought my "unicorn" car in NJ, nearly 1000 miles from home, so your "perfect" car won't necessarily show up nearby unless you live in a large metro area.

Originally Posted by Wandl
Time is the #1 enemy of used car dealers, use that to your advantage.
Well said. I bought my car within 30 days of it being listed. I could have probably waited longer to negotiate a better deal, but I got tired of waiting, and wanted to get into my dream car. I probably overpaid by 4K, but depending upon the rarity of the car you are seeking, it's a risk you may have to take.
Old 02-02-17, 08:52 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 399 Likes on 271 Posts

You and I are finding the exact same thing (I live in FL and prices between a '12 and '13 with similar miles show a $10k premium for a '13). I really struggle with that premium. If it was $3k or $4k I could probably justify it, but it would still be a hard decision because I strongly prefer the exterior styling of the '12's, but prefer the interior of the '13's (although I haven't really played with the "mouse" driven interface much). I prefer to buy a Certified LS if possible and if I could get a CPO '12 for around $28k I would probably bite. There's a part of me that's really intrigued by Tesla (esp. after test driving the Model S) and a movement away from gasoline, so I may look at my next LS as just being a bridge to buy me 2-3 years to figure out what my next move is. With that mentality, I'd go for the best condition but lowest-priced '12 I could find and may even consider non-CPO.

The good news is you can't go wrong either way. The '11's and beyond seem to be the same stable, reliable tanks we have come to enjoy since the 400 and 430 days. If you wait until August/September when the '18 LS500 comes out, you'll get a better deal on a '13.
Old 02-02-17, 11:08 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

I like the 2007-2012 style with 19's wheels and long wheel base with NO air suspension. That would be my perfect set up. Truffle Mica paint wood really be cool. Personally I think Lexus designers have lost their minds. The front grill design on all their vehicles are getting more and more controversial at every design refresh. Who are they trying to appease? Consumer in their 20's? Funny thing is that I like the new styling for the IS line which is for the younger buyer but it look horrible on the GS, LS, RX, LX geared toward older buyers. They should have tried to stay somewhat conservative but refined on their higher end vehicles instead of trying to look different and cool which they failed at. I had a family member who was going to trade in their Is250 for a newer Is or GS say " Why do they all have such a big plastic screen in the front now?" She ended up not trading and now does not know what to get.
If I go for another newer full size luxury vehicle, I'd probably go for the Genesis G90 in a few years if they are reported to be as reliable as Lexus. Dammit Lexus you lost me!!
Attached Thumbnails 2012 or wait a little on a 13 / 14?-2010_lexus_ls_460_base_truffle_mica_in_baton_rouge_louisiana_4460004480986772435.jpg  
Old 02-02-17, 11:31 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 399 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by JLAWS
I like the 2007-2012 style with 19's wheels and long wheel base with NO air suspension. That would be my perfect set up. Truffle Mica paint wood really be cool. Personally I think Lexus designers have lost their minds. The front grill design on all their vehicles are getting more and more controversial at every design refresh. Who are they trying to appease? Consumer in their 20's? Funny thing is that I like the new styling for the IS line which is for the younger buyer but it look horrible on the GS, LS, RX, LX geared toward older buyers. They should have tried to stay somewhat conservative but refined on their higher end vehicles instead of trying to look different and cool which they failed at. I had a family member who was going to trade in their Is250 for a newer Is or GS say " Why do they all have such a big plastic screen in the front now?" She ended up not trading and now does not know what to get.
If I go for another newer full size luxury vehicle, I'd probably go for the Genesis G90 in a few years if they are reported to be as reliable as Lexus. Dammit Lexus you lost me!!
I don't really have a preference on LWB vs standard, but I 100% agree with you on the requirement of the 19" wheels. Totally changes the look of that car (wish they had those on the '13 and beyond). The wheels on the '18 LS500 pics I have seen thus far are hideous.
Old 02-12-17, 01:59 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Well guys, I guess I need to change my screen name now... lol. Actually, I really still love the LS but after shopping around, looking at various models, I fell for the A8 L. Black with saddle interior and a few packages. I ended up buying a 2014 CPO 3.0T. The 4.0T is pretty darn fast but I really have no need for it with a price bump of $10k and a few less mpg. The 3.0 will do 60 in 5.3 vs the 4.0 in about 4.2 seconds. Anyway, it's an awesome vehicle. Interior is definitely better quality then the LS. Especially the leather & features / fit and finish. Really exceptional. Reliability will probably not be as good but that's a risk I am willing to take. Nothing like massaging front seats. So much better then the rears I had on my old UL. Going to miss this community. Maybe I can still participate in spirit...
Attached Thumbnails 2012 or wait a little on a 13 / 14?-img_0566.jpg  

Last edited by Lexuslsguy; 02-12-17 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-12-17, 04:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Congrats!

Of course you can still participate, stick around!
Old 02-12-17, 05:09 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Well guys, I guess I need to change my screen name now... lol. Actually, I really still love the LS but after shopping around, looking at various models, I fell for the A8 L. Black with saddle interior and a few packages. I ended up buying a 2014 CPO 3.0T. The 4.0T is pretty darn fast but I really have no need for it with a price bump of $10k and a few less mpg. The 3.0 will do 60 in 5.3 vs the 4.0 in about 4.2 seconds. Anyway, it's an awesome vehicle. Interior is definitely better quality then the LS. Especially the leather & features / fit and finish. Really exceptional. Reliability will probably not be as good but that's a risk I am willing to take. Nothing like massaging front seats. So much better then the rears I had on my old UL. Going to miss this community. Maybe I can still participate in spirit...
Congrats on the A8L! I just checked it out, and it looks gorgeous. Even the 2014 A8L has features lacking from the 2017 LS such as the massaging front seats, sky view camera, and the panoramic sun roof, so you had compelling reasons to pick it over a 2012 460L. Clearly, you ended up buying a car that is much more expensive than what you must have had in mind when you started this thread. You have a CPO warranty, so that gives peace of mind, plus you can always buy an extended warranty down the road. Can you please share the mileage and how much you paid?
Old 02-12-17, 05:25 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Yeah, it is a pretty expensive car. About $85k new. Definitely wanted the CPO for this reason. Audi's CPO is 6 years or 100k miles. Maintenance is more expensive vs the LS. Single owner off lease no accidents full service history. 46k miles - just under 34 before TTL. Too good of a deal to pass up. Seems to be a good amount of them coming off lease so prices are more competitive vs what I was seeing on the LS.

Last edited by Lexuslsguy; 02-12-17 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: 2012 or wait a little on a 13 / 14?