LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

FNG need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-17, 11:44 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

You're in California so you should have a good assortment of LS inventory to choose from. And everything is relative; some LS owners would have had some issues, most have not had any major issues. Even the big issues like the control arms are a relatively cheap fix (I have a thread on here where I replaced all 8 for around $1200 with labor). Coming from a 7-series, you'll love the LS.

Best advice I can give is get the newest car you can afford. If that is a 2010, do that. 2011 and newer have the revised control arms but don't let that scare you from a 09 LS either. The best reason I love my LS is the fact that I can get in a used 08 LS with 211k miles (recently for sale at a Chevy lot near me) and it still drives like a dream. Talk about superior design and build quality.

Find the newest LS you can afford, don't let miles scare you, sign up for a free profile at Lexus Owners so you can check the service history, and feel free to ask questions! Welcome; you'll enjoy the ride.
Old 02-07-17, 01:48 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
You're in California so you should have a good assortment of LS inventory to choose from. And everything is relative; some LS owners would have had some issues, most have not had any major issues. Even the big issues like the control arms are a relatively cheap fix (I have a thread on here where I replaced all 8 for around $1200 with labor). Coming from a 7-series, you'll love the LS.

Best advice I can give is get the newest car you can afford. If that is a 2010, do that. 2011 and newer have the revised control arms but don't let that scare you from a 09 LS either. The best reason I love my LS is the fact that I can get in a used 08 LS with 211k miles (recently for sale at a Chevy lot near me) and it still drives like a dream. Talk about superior design and build quality.

Find the newest LS you can afford, don't let miles scare you, sign up for a free profile at Lexus Owners so you can check the service history, and feel free to ask questions! Welcome; you'll enjoy the ride.
Actually, I think I would recommend just the opposite from a value standpoint (or at least would like to offer another viewpoint on your purchase). Since the fundamental LS460 has remained mostly unchanged since the 2007 model year, I think the truly amazing values to be had would be on an earlier year model that has been extremely well maintained and has relatively low miles.

The LS, like all full-sized luxury cars, depreciates like crazy for the first 6-8 years, but after that retains most of it's value almost indefinitely (if the car is well maintained). For example, a new 2017 loaded model today would probably cost around $75-80K. In 3 years, even a gently used/well maintained model sells for around 50% of the new price (around $40K). After another 3 years, that car sells for around $25K

If your main reason for buying an LS is the rock-solid reliability, refinement, power, comfort, etc., you'll find all of the 460LS's exhibit those qualities. The minor improvements made in 2010-2012 can mostly be overcome with affordable aftermarket equipment, and the 2013-2017 revamp, while more extensive, doesn't really change the way the car drives or feels.

I'd say the best value to be had in an LS460 would be in the 2008-2010 model years, if you can find one with a sound service history and decent miles. Just my 2 cents...
Old 02-07-17, 05:59 PM
zracer31
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree 100% with riknchar. I didn't see any reason to buy anything newer than my 08L. Always been a bit leary buying first year of ANY make/model. I got EVERYTHING I wanted:

- one owner car (couple was 76 years old when they bought it new)
- exact color combo (golden almond metallic with cashmere interior) - not too light or dark, both inside and outside
- upgraded telious rims
- reclining rear seats, heated and cooled rear seats, upgraded headliner, semi-analine leather, leather door panels, mark levinson stereo
- new tires, new front brakes
-100% lexus dealership maintained
- absoloutely MINT in and out
- NON SMOKER
- low miles

I looked for over 6 months until this beauty was listed (so new that no pics were even uploaded). 5 other people had money down to buy it after i contacted salesman, I just happened to be the first one to reply/talk to dealership.

To each his own, but to buy the newest car you can afford may not always be the best option - you have to look at what gives you the best bang-for-your-buck.
Best of luck in your search - after reading several posts lately you aren't the only one weighing year/newest tech vrs. condition and price.
Old 04-20-17, 08:08 AM
Neek804
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Get the Ls, yes I've had some suspension issues and the annoying brake pad rattle with my 07' but nothing major engine wise. Other than my driver seat lumbar failing, I love my Lexus albeit my first Lexus ever im glad I chose over the big 3. Btw anybody had to replace the lumbar in the seats ?
Old 04-20-17, 08:15 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

and the annoying brake pad rattle with my 07'
Slightly OT, but did you replace the brake hardware (clips, springs, slides)? If not, you should....helped others inc me. Cheap and easy to do.
Old 04-21-17, 05:00 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Well, a non-mechanically inclined owner could have paid the dealer $5,000+ for those repairs.
But, if your buying a used car (say 2007-2010) for the price point, odds are your not going to the dealer to buy the car and very well odds you do it yourself, or know a really good shop that has a reasonable price to do things.

I am not afraid of doing things but, bigger jobs, I know 2-3 shops that would do it for 1/4 the cost of the dealer, and will even do it if I buy the parts...(OEM parts !)