LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Which options are most practical?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-17, 03:36 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Junglequac
I posted this earlier in response to him, but I believe you simply press the cruise stalk forward that is towards the dashboard and that is that for switching to standard cruise control.
Yes, I spotted the labels on the CC stalk for changing CC mode. I normally just push the stalk down to engage DRCC. But if I pull the stalk toward me, it may toggle between DRCC and standard CC. Haven't tested yet.
Old 01-26-17, 04:12 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Yes, I spotted the labels on the CC stalk for changing CC mode. I normally just push the stalk down to engage DRCC. But if I pull the stalk toward me, it may toggle between DRCC and standard CC. Haven't tested yet.
Awesome brother. I need to delete the other post as I did not see that you had responded already about it. From all that I have read about it, it seems to work quite straightforward, but does I believe revert to DRCC at restart.
Old 01-26-17, 05:26 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 479 Likes on 353 Posts

When ever we take a road trip to a location that has a Costco the trunk is loaded to the max on our return. I even carry a 32 qtr Igloo cooler that we fill with steaks and chicken. You can pack a lot of stuff in the trunk if you work it just right and that includes a case of 1.75 ltr Scotch and 2 cases of 1.75 ltr wine.

Dennis
Old 01-26-17, 09:30 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 377 Likes on 255 Posts

The most practical options on the LS460 we do not have on the LS430 are the power trunk, back up camera, and Bluetooth support for smart phones (Pandora, Waze, etc). The power sun shade on the rear window is cool, too, but I would not label it "practical".... The other long list of things the 460 does are okay but I would not miss them when driving the 430....
Old 01-26-17, 10:04 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck05
The most practical options on the LS460 we do not have on the LS430 are the power trunk, back up camera, and Bluetooth support for smart phones (Pandora, Waze, etc). The power sun shade on the rear window is cool, too, but I would not label it "practical".... The other long list of things the 460 does are okay but I would not miss them when driving the 430....
Hi Duck, our 06 430 has a backup camera. I certainly appreciate that feature every time I'm in reverse! Glad that backup cameras will become mandatory on all new cars soon. I liked the power rear sun shade at first but never use it now that the car is tinted.
Old 01-27-17, 01:30 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

To activate Standard CC, can only be done PRIOR to activating the RCC. Meaning, once you've activated the Radar CC, you can't cancel it, and push forward to switch. To use the Standard, you have to push the stalk forward after turning on the system, and prior to activating the Radar. So, if you've already used the Radar, just turn the main cruise system OFF / ON, then push forward. It goes to NORM. .

And that's another thing. There's this fairly spacious area in the cluster for various info, like Radar Ready. I think that's what it says. Why, when it is changed to traditional cruise control would it say "NORM." What ... are they trying to do? Conserve 2 letters? What's the point? Just friggin put NORMAL. What's the big deal? We're not worthy of 2 more letters? Personally, I can't stand RCC. It drives like a 16 year old girl chewing bubble gum while looking at her apple phone. For me, even at the greatest distance, it is too close, and overreacts. I'm much smoother by using normal and paying attention to changing conditions. To be totally honest, it's not the following distance that bothers me the most, it's the reactions. Like, at max following distance, when someone turns right that I've been following (from that lane, there's no right turn lane), it seems to not notice they're turning until there's significant loss of gap. And then it is overly aggressive with the brakes. I just drive different. I stay off people's rear bumper, and slow down waaaay early for traffic slowing ahead of me. I call this move, "gathering." It gathers up anyone behind me, because I slow so gently that others (who may be glancing down at their phone) have more time to look up and notice me slowing. Versus, the person folllowing me, glancing down at their phone just prior to me having to slow more aggressively, and then the person behind me looking up from their phone just as they're ramming into me.

And DEL. DEST.? WTF? Just spell it out ... DELETE DESINATION? I'm not sure why it just doesn't go away anyway, after reaching the destination. I shouldn't have to DEL. DEST.

Sorry, went off on a tangent. But NORM. an DEL. DEST. annoy me greatly.

Jason
Old 01-27-17, 01:55 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
To activate Standard CC, can only be done PRIOR to activating the RCC. Meaning, once you've activated the Radar CC, you can't cancel it, and push forward to switch. To use the Standard, you have to push the stalk forward after turning on the system, and prior to activating the Radar. So, if you've already used the Radar, just turn the main cruise system OFF / ON, then push forward. It goes to NORM. .

And that's another thing. There's this fairly spacious area in the cluster for various info, like Radar Ready. I think that's what it says. Why, when it is changed to traditional cruise control would it say "NORM." What ... are they trying to do? Conserve 2 letters? What's the point? Just friggin put NORMAL. What's the big deal? We're not worthy of 2 more letters? Personally, I can't stand RCC. It drives like a 16 year old girl chewing bubble gum while looking at her apple phone. For me, even at the greatest distance, it is too close, and overreacts. I'm much smoother by using normal and paying attention to changing conditions. To be totally honest, it's not the following distance that bothers me the most, it's the reactions. Like, at max following distance, when someone turns right that I've been following (from that lane, there's no right turn lane), it seems to not notice they're turning until there's significant loss of gap. And then it is overly aggressive with the brakes. I just drive different. I stay off people's rear bumper, and slow down waaaay early for traffic slowing ahead of me. I call this move, "gathering." It gathers up anyone behind me, because I slow so gently that others (who may be glancing down at their phone) have more time to look up and notice me slowing. Versus, the person folllowing me, glancing down at their phone just prior to me having to slow more aggressively, and then the person behind me looking up from their phone just as they're ramming into me.

And DEL. DEST.? WTF? Just spell it out ... DELETE DESINATION? I'm not sure why it just doesn't go away anyway, after reaching the destination. I shouldn't have to DEL. DEST.
Sorry, went off on a tangent. But NORM. an DEL. DEST. annoy me greatly.
Jason
Jason, I see you have a lot of built-up angst about the display messages.... I won't get you started on the font choice, ok??

I have highlighted two points you made. First, my system is the opposite. Even in the closest setting, it leaves a huge gap, and I speed up to narrow the gap, which is then maintained.

For the most part, my DRCC works well, slowing down gradually to follow traffic ahead. On occasion, the system will brake aggressively, but that is typically when an 18-wheeler or other vehicle suddenly switches lanes or when the DRCC realizes that the speed difference is too large. The brake lights come on and the braking is strong. But this happens very rarely.

Maybe the system on the pre-2013 LS is a bit different and reacts differently. Or maybe the DRCC on your vehicle needs to be re-calibrated.
Old 01-27-17, 02:43 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

For me, since I never use my back seat, the reclining seats aren't anything I'd need. I do wish my car came with the bluetooth audio as well as usb support. It's really your call.
Old 01-27-17, 03:29 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by R Z
For me, since I never use my back seat, the reclining seats aren't anything I'd need. I do wish my car came with the bluetooth audio as well as usb support. It's really your call.
Thanks, R Z. Most of the L features I want are more for the comfort of my passengers (mostly family). However, seeing as how my wife really doesn't care about the reclining feature, I am more inclined to get a 2010 now. I can definitely see us utilizing the Bluetooth streaming and/or USB connection on a daily basis, much more frequently than the reclining or cooled rear seats. I also really like being able to adjust personal settings without a visit to the dealership or my mechanic. Although I prefer the front styling of the 07-09 over the 10-12, I do like the center console of the 10-12 better and the low-gloss wood.

There was this potential white 2010 at Land Rover Las Vegas...but it has the air suspension. D'oh!
Old 01-30-17, 09:43 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Hi Duck, our 06 430 has a backup camera. I certainly appreciate that feature every time I'm in reverse! Glad that backup cameras will become mandatory on all new cars soon. I liked the power rear sun shade at first but never use it now that the car is tinted.
Agree on the backup camera! Power rear sun shade is cute and all but dealer says they fail frequently and are expensive to repair. Any luck finding a 460? I drove a '10 and it was very nice. Also 33k.
Old 01-30-17, 10:24 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Agree on the backup camera! Power rear sun shade is cute and all but dealer says they fail frequently and are expensive to repair. Any luck finding a 460? I drove a '10 and it was very nice. Also 33k.
Have found a number of potential candidates but having trouble making a decision between cheaper 07, newer 10-12, or keeping the current car. Keep waffling and debating whether or not it's a good decision to replace our 2006 LS 430 with 62K miles. The 430 recently received new spark plugs, new timing belt, new water pump, new tires -- she's good to go for a very long time. I'm on a break from the search to clear my head and figure out what I really want to do.
Old 01-31-17, 08:48 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Have found a number of potential candidates but having trouble making a decision between cheaper 07, newer 10-12, or keeping the current car. Keep waffling and debating whether or not it's a good decision to replace our 2006 LS 430 with 62K miles. The 430 recently received new spark plugs, new timing belt, new water pump, new tires -- she's good to go for a very long time. I'm on a break from the search to clear my head and figure out what I really want to do.
A LS430 has no passion. Its a great car but boring. My buddy sold his 05 because he got bored with it. When he rides in my 07 he says he never would have sold if his was a 460. Simple as that. Also all us 460 owners will feel the same way when the ls500's are out for a while. Just buy a 07 or 08 with under 100k miles for 20k or less and save your money. The newer models are not much different. I know everyone on here with a later model will say I'm full of it and they are entitled to their opinion.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 01-31-17 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-31-17, 09:59 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Good edit on your post, Kennyr44!
Old 01-31-17, 10:33 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Gbp
Good edit on your post, Kennyr44!
Yea I think I know everything but usually just **** people off. I really stir the pot on the 4 Runner forum and those guys don't take any crap.