LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Got an eBay techstream running

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-17, 09:26 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Got an eBay techstream running

...on 64 bit Win10 at that! Granted, I'm a computer guy, but still, I didn't expect it to work completely.

The only thing which bothers me on my LS is the RR damper has a code of C1733, which could be one of a number of things, based on descriptions I found on a 4Runner board.

I need to spend a couple of hours, with the battery on a charger, poking around, seeing what it'll allow me to access.
Old 01-23-17, 04:36 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Great to know its working, seems many sellers on ebay for this product, which one did you buy?
I guess it can show transmission temperature.

Originally Posted by mckellyb
...on 64 bit Win10 at that! Granted, I'm a computer guy, but still, I didn't expect it to work completely.

The only thing which bothers me on my LS is the RR damper has a code of C1733, which could be one of a number of things, based on descriptions I found on a 4Runner board.

I need to spend a couple of hours, with the battery on a charger, poking around, seeing what it'll allow me to access.
Old 01-23-17, 05:36 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't dug into it too deeply, as I was at work, but the amount of information is certainly comparable to that of a GM Tech II, of which I have one.

Look up 3comlink, that's who my seller was. I think it was $17, free shipping.
Old 01-23-17, 06:12 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Can you update/change tpms with the version you bought?
Old 01-23-17, 08:44 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

There's definitely a section for it. I'm going to dig into it a bit deeper the next few days, so I'll let you know.

I didn't see transmission temperature, but I wasn't looking for it, and I had only about 20 minutes at work to mess with it.
Old 01-23-17, 09:46 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Can you please explain what software you are running on Win10 for what you are doing? Toyota Techstream is $700-2000 on eBay. You have a $17 cable and a software disc. It seems to me your setup is similar to the Carista App and OBD2 reader. Can your software actually change vehicle settings like Carista? If so, can it adjust the air suspension settings? Thanks!
Old 01-24-17, 07:46 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

You have a $17 cable and a software disc.
I bought the the same setup. The reason it's so cheap is, it's pirated and sold out of China. The only reason I haven't used mine, is I need a laptop running older OS. I can't get it to run on Win 10. Yes, A genuine un-pirated version will cost a grand.
The following 2 users liked this post by roadfrog:
comotiger (01-24-17), mckellyb (01-25-17)
Old 01-24-17, 09:29 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Well, I see the Techstream cable with what looks like a USB driver installation disk. Does this disk contain the Techstream software, too?

Last edited by RA40; 11-06-18 at 12:53 PM. Reason: link removed
Old 01-24-17, 09:46 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I bought the the same setup. The reason it's so cheap is, it's pirated and sold out of China. The only reason I haven't used mine, is I need a laptop running older OS. I can't get it to run on Win 10. Yes, A genuine un-pirated version will cost a grand.

LOL, maybe you should get an even older laptop on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitud...sAAOSwSX9XBERR
Old 01-24-17, 11:36 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

That listing seems a bit vague, but if you look at other listings, they actually show the TIS software running. Maybe they're careful about the wording in the listing because of the piracy involved.

Old 01-24-17, 11:38 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

That's EXACTLY what I need! LOL. You'd be surprised how hard it is to find a used older laptop with XP!

Old 01-25-17, 10:10 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by comotiger
Can you please explain what software you are running on Win10 for what you are doing? Toyota Techstream is $700-2000 on eBay. You have a $17 cable and a software disc. It seems to me your setup is similar to the Carista App and OBD2 reader. Can your software actually change vehicle settings like Carista? If so, can it adjust the air suspension settings? Thanks!
Yes, it can change the settings, including those on the air suspension.
Old 01-25-17, 09:00 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Yes, it can change the settings, including those on the air suspension.
WOW, that's really something. Have you actually tested to verify that you can adjust air suspension height? If you are correct, then this would be the best (cheapest) solution for many folks here interested in adjusting ride height in user-defined steps. By comparison, factory air has only two settings: Standard and High.

Of course, as Roadfrog correctly pointed out, the Techstream software you are using on a Win10 machine is very likely pirated, and that could void any warranty-related problems that may arise from using the product. But this cheap method for adjusting ride height is definitely very tempting... Hopefully Carista will come up with an air suspension option in their App before too long.
Old 01-25-17, 10:39 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Warranty isn't an issue, as I'm owner #3 and it's 9 years old with almost 100K miles on it.

I may play with the suspension next week. I'm still tracking down a parasitic drain, and I don't want to hook it up to a charger (the ignition must be 'on' for the Tekstreem (sp) to function.

I tested a few things, today...various lights on/off, gear selector position, steering wheel angle, dash/door switches...that kind of thing. I was going to play with the suspension, but held off until I have a good hour to mess around with it.

I know if I move around in the seat, I can see numbers for each damper changing quickly.

I think what you'd do is determine current ride height (not at 'height high'), then how much lower you want it, jot down those numbers (you have to do either each corner or by axle), then go through the calibration steps which I've seen in there.

I went through the first few choices to see what info it wanted, and I came THIS close to putting in a number I knew was at least 3" lower than stock, but decided that may be a catastrophic experiment.
Old 01-26-17, 07:33 AM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I haven't dug into it too deeply, as I was at work, but the amount of information is certainly comparable to that of a GM Tech II, of which I have one.

Look up 3comlink, that's who my seller was. I think it was $17, free shipping.
Anyone has a link to this listing? Couldn't find it.

Quick Reply: Got an eBay techstream running