LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone else notice this?

Old 01-20-17, 01:55 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts
Default Anyone else notice this?

I know these cars are quiet, so there must be tons of insulation material on the car...has anyone noticed that the car stays warm inside on very cold days? What I'm saying is if you park the car outside and go out to dinner, go shopping etc, then get back in the car a few hours later...it's still reasonably warn inside. Anyone else notice this that lives in a cold climate? I've honestly experienced this on days when it's 6 degrees, the thing is still warm when I get back into it, the thing holds its heat. I imagine that has to be because of the insulation. Living through these winters all my life I've never noticed another car that could do this - as small a point as this may be - it's absolutely a huge benefit for someone like me who hates the feeling of entering a freezing cold vehicle.

Speaking of insulation, the 2013 Lexus LS460 was voted/determined to be the quietest production car on the road.
http://www.auto-decibel-db.com/top_1...test_cars.html
Old 01-20-17, 05:49 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

You are so right. Even on a hot day you can still feel the coolness after being parked in the sun, shade or enclosed garage. The LS is still the best automobile I have ever owned.
Old 01-20-17, 07:42 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Never noticed it, but now that you mention it, It was. hahaha Never thought about it.
Old 01-20-17, 07:59 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

If you leave it out in the sun during the summer a few hours I can tell you it's hot inside.
Old 01-20-17, 10:09 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

You know...I have noticed that but never paid quite that much attention to it. But I have noticed it.

Also, since we are talking about things we've noticed, one thing that is very noticeable (to me), is how quickly and how well the heater works in this car.

When its on, even on the second fan speed and at around 78-80 degrees, my car gets pretty hot inside and the heat just stays!
My wife has made comments in the past speaking about how sealed and insulated the car seems to be.

The other thing too...

We recently have been driving my wife's Pilot a lot during the week and on the weekends and we use the seat warmers just about every time we get in the car. Man..it takes what seems like 10 minutes for the seats in that thing to finally get warm!

In the LS, I swear it seems like within 1 to 2 minutes, the seat is warm as can be, and that's only with the **** in the first position.

Regarding the summer months, when its hot outside, between keeping the rear sun shade up and facing the windshield away from the direct sun, it never gets crazy hot in my car. And once that A/C kicks on, its only a matter of moments before its really cool inside the cabin.

There's really so many things about this car to not like, but love!
Old 01-20-17, 10:16 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
You know...I have noticed that but never paid quite that much attention to it. But I have noticed it.

Also, since we are talking about things we've noticed, one thing that is very noticeable (to me), is how quickly and how well the heater works in this car.

When its on, even on the second fan speed and at around 78-80 degrees, my car gets pretty hot inside and the heat just stays!
My wife has made comments in the past speaking about how sealed and insulated the car seems to be.

The other thing too...

We recently have been driving my wife's Pilot a lot during the week and on the weekends and we use the seat warmers just about every time we get in the car. Man..it takes what seems like 10 minutes for the seats in that thing to finally get warm!

In the LS, I swear it seems like within 1 to 2 minutes, the seat is warm as can be, and that's only with the **** in the first position.

Regarding the summer months, when its hot outside, between keeping the rear sun shade up and facing the windshield away from the direct sun, it never gets crazy hot in my car. And once that A/C kicks on, its only a matter of moments before its really cool inside the cabin.

All true

The heater works very well and produces heat very fast even from a cold start, and the seat warmers work ten times faster then they did in my 430 , they seem to kick in within about 30 seconds to a minute tops.
Old 01-20-17, 10:22 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
All true

The heater works very well and produces heat very fast even from a cold start, and the seat warmers work ten times faster then they did in my 430 , they seem to kick in within about 30 seconds to a minute tops.
1WILLY1:
Your suggested time frame is much more accurate lol!!

I think I timed it sometime last week or so and I got to about :57 or :58 seconds before I began to feel the seat warm-up.
The following users liked this post:
1WILLY1 (01-20-17)
Old 01-20-17, 11:30 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I can't speak to the retention of heat in the car during the winter months since I live in a warm weather state. As far as the hvac, it's good but not as good as the one in my wife's 09 G37. The seat heater is way too powerful. I usually turn it on for about a minute on the lowest setting after I start the car then turn it off and I'm good for my morning commute.
Old 01-20-17, 12:22 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DarKnight
I can't speak to the retention of heat in the car during the winter months since I live in a warm weather state. As far as the hvac, it's good but not as good as the one in my wife's 09 G37. The seat heater is way too powerful. I usually turn it on for about a minute on the lowest setting after I start the car then turn it off and I'm good for my morning commute.
I wish I had your problem, I'm so tired of the winters up here. But you're right, the heated seats are powerful...the wheel too. I only put them on for a few minutes and it takes the chill right out.
Old 01-20-17, 12:26 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CRowe14

The other thing too...

Five years from now I should have 300,000 miles on the car, instead of trading it in or selling it on Craigslist for $3,000 I might tear the thing totally apart and take a look at what makes this thing such a great car. I've done this before...I imagine the LS would be an eye opener.
Old 01-22-17, 02:21 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The LS does stay very warm in the winter, and resists heating up in the summer months (best r-value of any car I've been in). However, there are a few MB tricks that would be cool to adopt: the cabin air filter in mb's actually filter, the a/c and heat work for 30min after the car is shut off.

Last edited by superdenso; 01-22-17 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-22-17, 04:58 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Maybe the new LS will offer this feature and it would be great to have on any vehicles.
Old 01-22-17, 07:28 AM
rstewart
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Car not quiet

I have a 2013 LS460. It has a lot of wind noise. I thought they would have solved this problem. I sold a 2007 because of wind noise and bought this without driving it first. This is my fourth LS, the 400 and 430 were quiet.
Old 01-22-17, 07:55 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by rstewart
I have a 2013 LS460. It has a lot of wind noise. I thought they would have solved this problem. I sold a 2007 because of wind noise and bought this without driving it first. This is my fourth LS, the 400 and 430 were quiet.
Wind noise in the LS460s/LS460Ls/LS600s is not normal. We have seen another report in this forum of wind noise in a '13 LS460. Whatever the cause of the wind noise in your car, it is very likely that it can be easily remedied, completely and permanently. You should seek a solution. It is possible you will not be able it solved at a Lexus dealer. Please don't give up - the LS460s are exceptionally quiet cars.
Old 01-23-17, 01:23 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I forgot about the heated steering wheel but I never use it. I know your pain as far as winters. I used to live in NJ and made the move a couple of years ago. Haven't regretted it once. Now that I've experienced it, I wouldn't want to live any further north than Central Florida. If you get the opportunity take the plunge and come on down.

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I wish I had your problem, I'm so tired of the winters up here. But you're right, the heated seats are powerful...the wheel too. I only put them on for a few minutes and it takes the chill right out.

Last edited by DarKnight; 01-24-17 at 08:04 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone else notice this?