LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 Rear strut replacement tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-17, 05:20 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Thank you my friend!
Your very welcome.
Old 02-03-17, 01:46 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

If it wasn't for the unseasonable cold weather of late, I would have tackled it all. But even doing my brakes over the last day or so was a challenge. My wife kept bringing out hot tea for me and shaking her head at my resolve. But I've also come into some money from my Dads will. I used to work on his car all the time and I know he would like to see someone do work on my car for me for a change! LOL. So...I'm gonna splurge. He would have liked that.
Sorry to hear about your dad, I'd have an incredibly tough time with that. Splurge away.
Old 02-03-17, 02:05 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Sorry to hear about your dad, I'd have an incredibly tough time with that. Splurge away.
I appreciate it! I always teased him for being so cheap. Turns out his being cheap really ended up taking care of us. So yeah....Kal Tire here in Chilliwack will be doing the work for me on Wednesday. Two struts all eight control arms, ball joints and sway bar links. About 7-900 dollars.
Old 02-03-17, 02:14 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

OMG!! You're doing that much suspension work on an LS!!??
No way, that's absurd!
If I were you, I'd be looking at getting rid of it and begin your search for another vehicle.
These control arm issues on the LS' is ridiculous...
So I guess you going to shell out all of that $$ and still keep the car??
What a waste!
Old 02-03-17, 02:18 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CRowe14
OMG!! You're doing that much suspension work on an LS!!??
No way, that's absurd!
If I were you, I'd be looking at getting rid of it and begin your search for another vehicle.
These control arm issues on the LS' is ridiculous...
So I guess you going to shell out all of that $$ and still keep the car??
What a waste!
LOL. And don't forget, I had to pay a whopping 550 dollars for those control arms, plus 60 bucks for the struts! What a piece of crap....
Old 02-03-17, 06:52 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

LOL. And don't forget, I had to pay a whopping 550 dollars for those control arms, plus 60 bucks for the struts! What a piece of crap....
Should sell it and buy a 430....Just saying.
Old 02-03-17, 07:57 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by greg3852
Should sell it and buy a 430....Just saying.
LOL. I was waiting for someone to say exactly that.
Old 02-22-17, 02:17 PM
fblonk
Rookie

Received 54 Likes on 16 Posts

Roadfrog,

Sorry for your pain. I live in Fl. and the car was here most of it's life, so no rust. I am from New England originally. I remember frozen bolts well. Don't miss it, Traded for the sunshine.

Update:
I replaced the right rear with a used assembly, and it failed after 80 miles. Back to square 1. The place was excellent about refunding my money, it was back in 15 minutes. Went out and purchased brand new rear cartridges. Rented a spring compressor and did both sides. The driver side was the same procedure, but with a second bracket on the lower control arm that had to be removed. Also a 10 mm. Went smooth and quick, under 3 hours to do both sides. I didn't do another document, as there was no real difference.
One note though: To make it easier, I lightly sanded the inside of the new cartridge where it slides on to the lower control arm and placed grease on the arm itself. To install the strut, I placed the top in first and tightened the nuts. then I jacked the bottom of the strut until it met the shaft and pulled it on and whacked it with a rubber mallet and it slid right on.

Best of luck.
Old 02-22-17, 02:44 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by fblonk
Roadfrog,

Sorry for your pain. I live in Fl. and the car was here most of it's life, so no rust. I am from New England originally. I remember frozen bolts well. Don't miss it, Traded for the sunshine.

Update:
I replaced the right rear with a used assembly, and it failed after 80 miles. Back to square 1. The place was excellent about refunding my money, it was back in 15 minutes. Went out and purchased brand new rear cartridges. Rented a spring compressor and did both sides. The driver side was the same procedure, but with a second bracket on the lower control arm that had to be removed. Also a 10 mm. Went smooth and quick, under 3 hours to do both sides. I didn't do another document, as there was no real difference.
One note though: To make it easier, I lightly sanded the inside of the new cartridge where it slides on to the lower control arm and placed grease on the arm itself. To install the strut, I placed the top in first and tightened the nuts. then I jacked the bottom of the strut until it met the shaft and pulled it on and whacked it with a rubber mallet and it slid right on.

Best of luck.
Thanks for the follow-up. I ended up spending 800 dollars for the local shop to do all the work for me. Turned out well. That included a wheel alignment and a charging system analysis. Car rides nice and smooth and a little tighter.
Old 02-23-17, 06:35 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i got quoted 870$ from the same mechanic who charged me 220 for coilovers for my gs400 about 12 years ago. i was expecting about 500 or so
Appointment made. Tuesday. They quoted me 5-7 hours which includes replacing ball joints, struts and ALL of the front control arms. I'm supplying all the parts. I figure all in, I'll be out about 1600 dollars - which is great considering what Lexus would have charged me. With the new rear shocks done and all four brakes I did yesterday, she'll feel like a new car.
Old 02-23-17, 07:43 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UZ214
i got quoted 870$ from the same mechanic who charged me 220 for coilovers for my gs400 about 12 years ago. i was expecting about 500 or so
Well...just to rub it in...800 Canadian, work out to about 600 US!
Old 03-05-18, 05:42 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

my local indy shop charges $25 per control arm installation, so total $200 labor cost. and $50 per wheel for replacing brake rotor & pads. i bring in all the parts.
Old 03-05-18, 11:10 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by texas008
my local indy shop charges $25 per control arm installation, so total $200 labor cost. and $50 per wheel for replacing brake rotor & pads. i bring in all the parts.
LOL. THAT is a steal. No-brainer to let him do it.
Old 03-05-18, 02:57 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 0133642

I’m glad we have threads like this. Look at this invoice for less work and twice the price.
Yikes! THAT is way higher than most.
Old 03-05-18, 06:49 PM
davedudu
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate it! I always teased him for being so cheap. Turns out his being cheap really ended up taking care of us. So yeah....Kal Tire here in Chilliwack will be doing the work for me on Wednesday. Two struts all eight control arms, ball joints and sway bar links. About 7-900 dollars.
I thought you just replaced all four struts.

Quick Reply: LS 460 Rear strut replacement tutorial