LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

should i upgrade to 2013+ LS or keep 2011

Old 01-16-17, 01:09 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

They say never buy the 1st year of a new Model. This is correct except when all the bugs are already worked out. So I like buying the first model year later because its the same car pretty much for the lowest price. When I drive down the road me and everyone else can't tell any difference and I paid pennys on the dollar for what I consider pretty much the same car. I feel upgrading to the same generation is a waste of money. Unless you drive a ton of miles like my wife and need a new lower miles car to feel safe on long trips etc.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 01-16-17 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-16-17, 01:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

The 13+ is the "best" iteration of the 460. Every year things are improved and tweaked, has the latest tech, etc. That said...its essentially the same car, just refined as time goes on, whether or not the upgrade is worthwhile is up to you.
Old 01-18-17, 10:44 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

A friend of mine recently traded his 2010 L for a 2013 L. He absolutely loves it.
Old 01-18-17, 10:51 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

^^ I second that!

I traded in my 2012 460 for a 2014 460L and couldn't be happier . Not only is the car improved in many ways (stiffness, major refresh inside and out), but it also has features (BSM, RCTA) that the pre-2013s could not have. I also appreciate having the rear camera centered on the car rather than displaced to the left as in the pre-2013s.
Old 01-18-17, 11:13 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

In the end, I suppose it really comes down to the price delta between the two. If I was wanting to do this, I would throw a listing on Autotrader priced a smidge higher than you expect to get and see what kind of offers you receive and weigh that against the best deal you can get on a suitable 2013+ model. Or even Craigslist if you want to not have to pay a listing fee, but I do think AT or Ebay would get you the best offers and most interested parties. As there are many who prefer the earlier style front end, you might do well. Especially considering the mileage is pretty good and the aforementioned recent maintenance.

Obviously, trading it in would almost certainly be cost ineffective and as there seems to be some great deals out there on newer models, perhaps the difference will be within a range that is not too onerous.
Old 01-18-17, 03:24 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

yea- i am looking around at cars.com and anything that i like 2013 (L) or the F sport are north of 50k. My car is probably worth half of that; am i getting double the car for the money? probably not.

i think i am just going to keep the car and put some coil-overs on; upgrade sound system..maybe put some new wheels. Now if i come across a luxury L version under 50k i would pick that up quick.

Originally Posted by Junglequac
In the end, I suppose it really comes down to the price delta between the two. If I was wanting to do this, I would throw a listing on Autotrader priced a smidge higher than you expect to get and see what kind of offers you receive and weigh that against the best deal you can get on a suitable 2013+ model. Or even Craigslist if you want to not have to pay a listing fee, but I do think AT or Ebay would get you the best offers and most interested parties. As there are many who prefer the earlier style front end, you might do well. Especially considering the mileage is pretty good and the aforementioned recent maintenance.

Obviously, trading it in would almost certainly be cost ineffective and as there seems to be some great deals out there on newer models, perhaps the difference will be within a range that is not too onerous.
Old 01-18-17, 03:31 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
yea- i am looking around at cars.com and anything that i like 2013 (L) or the F sport are north of 50k. My car is probably worth half of that; am i getting double the car for the money? probably not.

i think i am just going to keep the car and put some coil-overs on; upgrade sound system..maybe put some new wheels. Now if i come across a luxury L version under 50k i would pick that up quick.

If the price difference is $25,000, I honestly believe the juice is not worth the squeeze. Especially as you have an 11 so have BT audio streaming and all the other 2010 updates. Granted, the 2013 refresh was far more comprehensive, but would struggle to justify $25,000.

I too have been looking at perhaps switching to the 19 inch Touring Edition wheels, but the PO literally replaced the standard 18's less than 7000 miles ago so it is hard for me to currently justify doing so.

Coilovers would be a fun upgrade as well. As would getting the Brembo's from the Sport Package. How ambitious are your audio upgrade plans?
Old 01-18-17, 03:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

OP, BSM is the best thing about 2013+ LS vs 2012 under

Originally Posted by superdenso
I try not to buy the same exact design twice. It's like dating this twin for that one, not exactly but hopefully you get my point. It's like showing up to the New Year's party in the same suit you wore the last 3 years
That's just aesthetics. They can have different personalities.

It's just a suit.. if people are critiquing you for wearing the same suit the last 3 years, you need new friends
Old 01-18-17, 06:28 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

BSM is a neat feature but i dont like the joystick nav thing; i hate it when i drive my wifes RX- just takes little longer to do everything.

For the audio upgrade -I have couple of quotes; full factory speakers upgrade plus a JL sub/ box in the trunk with a 5 channel amp. Nothing crazy just making the stock sound richer.

Originally Posted by Junglequac
If the price difference is $25,000, I honestly believe the juice is not worth the squeeze. Especially as you have an 11 so have BT audio streaming and all the other 2010 updates. Granted, the 2013 refresh was far more comprehensive, but would struggle to justify $25,000.

I too have been looking at perhaps switching to the 19 inch Touring Edition wheels, but the PO literally replaced the standard 18's less than 7000 miles ago so it is hard for me to currently justify doing so.

Coilovers would be a fun upgrade as well. As would getting the Brembo's from the Sport Package. How ambitious are your audio upgrade plans?
Old 02-12-17, 08:57 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Default Drove 14 460l

i test drove a L fully loaded 2014with under 30k miles 27 to be exact. It's a lease return and at a jersey dealer. It has all the options (not the executive package).

i liked the car and I pull the trigger
Old 02-12-17, 08:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Congrats!!
Old 02-12-17, 09:29 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UZ214
i test drove a L fully loaded 2014with under 30k miles 27 to be exact. It's a lease return and at a jersey dealer. It has all the options (not the executive package).

i liked the car and I pull the trigger
Congrats, UZ, welcome to the 2013+ LS460 family!! Sometimes, when the right car comes along and you feel good about it, you HAVE to pull the trigger! I am sure you will love it. I drive a fully loaded 2014 LWB, and it's my dream car. I can't wait to hear more details of your deal and see pics of your car.
Old 02-13-17, 08:10 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

sorry I wanted to write "I might pull the trigger" - phone typos-- but yes car was nice; they just got it a day before so wasn't detailed it just went through the certification process. they will call me once its all ready to show. the kids loved the back seat- loved the massaging seats; wife however thinks it exact same car since its black in color and says ls460L...ha.

here is the car that I am looking at

http://www.haldemanlexusofprinceton....-NJ/2935531663

Originally Posted by comotiger
Congrats, UZ, welcome to the 2013+ LS460 family!! Sometimes, when the right car comes along and you feel good about it, you HAVE to pull the trigger! I am sure you will love it. I drive a fully loaded 2014 LWB, and it's my dream car. I can't wait to hear more details of your deal and see pics of your car.
Old 02-13-17, 10:57 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

It's a good car you are looking at. The ad doesn't state clearly, but it must be a CPO. Even then, I think it is overpriced at 59K. Please check NADA and KBB values. Here's a listing from another site. Not fully loaded but very comparable to the car you are considering, and priced at 47.5K. IMO, the extras in your car are not worth the price difference. I would say you can negotiate for 53-54K.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1942/overview/

BTW, your car is missing the advanced pre-collision system and the LKA, so it is not fully loaded, further justifying a price reduction. Good luck!
Old 02-13-17, 11:14 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
It's a good car you are looking at. The ad doesn't state clearly, but it must be a CPO. Even then, I think it is overpriced at 59K. Please check NADA and KBB values. Here's a listing from another site. Not fully loaded but very comparable to the car you are considering, and priced at 47.5K. IMO, the extras in your car are not worth the price difference. I would say you can negotiate for 53-54K.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1942/overview/

BTW, your car is missing the advanced pre-collision system and the LKA, so it is not fully loaded, further justifying a price reduction. Good luck!
Agreed - I've in fact seen some 2015 CPO's for that price so I do question the current list price. With more and more lease turn-ins, I think supply will outpace demand here leading to further price drops as 2017 goes on. Time is on your side as the buyer, not theirs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: should i upgrade to 2013+ LS or keep 2011