LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 06:13 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts
Smile 2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!

Hi folks,

The 2018 LS500 has been revealed. At this time only engine is 3.5L V6, 415 hp, 442 lb-ft, 10 speed transmission, 0-60 in 4.5 sec. Interesting.....

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...uts-in-detroit

Last edited by comotiger; 01-09-17 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-09-17, 06:21 AM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I like it! 415hp in a smaller engine, not to bad at all and the 0-60 time looks good to me if it's accurate.
Old 01-09-17, 06:27 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

The car looks very nice. I am not a big fan of the busy nature of the headlight and taillight treatments, but they are restrained. The car has all the upgrades I had hoped for: HUD, massaging front seats, and surround-view camera. The in-dash display looks much smaller than in MB, Audi and others, and the clock has moved from its center position. The car is longer, wider, and lower, but haven't had a chance to check the specs. All in all, looks very classy.
Old 01-09-17, 06:34 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I think this new LS is beautiful inside and out. Thought the one shown would be an F-sport because of the grille, but we will see what they do. They also seem to have gotten rid of the short wheelbase car due to lack of L at the end of the name; definitely a good move like in the S-class and 7-series. That new engine is awesome with its power figures; kinda weird naming though since most of Lexus models numbers have matched engine displacement. It looks like it has a new and revised Touchpad; hopefully it works much better than the current setup throughout the lineup. Can't believe it doesn't have Apple CarPlay yet?! I wonder if they'll bring out a LSF in the future...one can dream.

Last edited by dchar; 01-09-17 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-09-17, 06:41 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Also looks like it will only be available as a Long Wheel Base vehicle.
Old 01-09-17, 06:42 AM
bigdizave
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More pics and specs here:

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...an-2018-ls.htm

What's going on, on the passenger side of the dash?

Last edited by bigdizave; 01-09-17 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Dash pic
Old 01-09-17, 06:49 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

I'm torn. Looking forward to seeing more pics and reviews. Initial thoughts:
- I like all the leather stitching on the dash
- I don't like the "LS" that shows up on the console (I assume when you start the car)
- Not sure about ambient lighting. I don't like that on other brands.
- Not sure how I feel about the "guitar string" styling on the interior where the wood grain is (it may look nice in person)
- Overall I think the interior received a pretty major refresh- leather looks very nice. I'm optimistic.
- Don't like the initial intro of a V6. I was hoping that would be just for the hybrid.
- It's odd to see the speed show up as such a small number (digital) while having the RPM's take up almost all of the dash. I wonder if that is customizable.
- Speakers in the ceiling... I like that!
- I really like the exterior styling
Old 01-09-17, 07:01 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Looks promising, but I really need to see it in the flesh. I'm going to the Boston Auto Show this Friday. I hope they have a model there.
Old 01-09-17, 07:25 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Very interesting. For me, the inside doesn't look very sporty. Yes "tech-laden", but it reminds me of my parents old Lincoln style-wise. Guess I'm more into a console that sweeps nicely from the dash. This seems disconnected.
Old 01-09-17, 07:30 AM
CokeBear
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow. In 2017, the brand new flagship Lexus doesn't have Level 3 self-driving like their competitors? The targeted audience is age 40+. This design is for 20-30. This is a I didn't leave Lexus and Lexus left me moment.
Old 01-09-17, 07:33 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm sure the lack of a normally aspirated V-8 will be a turn-off to many of us "old-school" Lexus guys... The HP and 0-60 times look great, though. The addition of Active Noise Cancellation in the cabin is very interesting. Perhaps owners will be able to artificially pipe in the sound of a NA V-8 via the sound system if they want to go "old school..."

Not a big fan (yet) of the fully digital instrument cluster. I still love the look of the current LS electro-luminescent gauges (even those in my 2008 LS look great to me).

One of the reviews did note that the car would be offered in both SWB and LWB sizes -- this makes sense to me.

Can't wait to see one "in the flesh!" Hope we get one at our Mid-West Auto Show later this month!
Old 01-09-17, 07:40 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by CokeBear
Wow. In 2017, the brand new flagship Lexus doesn't have Level 3 self-driving like their competitors? The targeted audience is age 40+. This design is for 20-30. This is a I didn't leave Lexus and Lexus left me moment.
I can see your point, CokeBear. It seems like this new LS continues the evolution away from what drew so many of us to the original LS400--the absolute silence and isolation from road imperfections with understated elegance and class. With the attitude most Millenials have about cars (not much interest in anything other than getting from place to place quickly and efficiently, ideally via self-driving cars), combined with the way the new body style has gotten even more outlandish and sporty (turning off many of the people who actually have enough money to afford a new LS), I'm not convinced this version will be a hit for Lexus.
Old 01-09-17, 07:48 AM
CokeBear
Driver School Candidate

Rick. totally agree. The new LS does not seem to be designed for its end customers. The new design has a lot of new elements that made it fun for the designers to work on the project. This is a classic case of a car designed to please the designers and not its intended customer. This is Lexus's Chris Bangle moment. I am totally disappointed as someone who has owned 5 Lexuses in the last 15 years.

Last edited by CokeBear; 01-09-17 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-09-17, 08:30 AM
CokeBear
Driver School Candidate

http://www.caradvice.com.au/512148/l...ot-a-priority/
Old 01-09-17, 08:38 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

It looks ok, but was kind of expecting more of the concept's look/proportions:

Quick Reply: 2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!