LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Drive shaft Flexjoint/Couplers problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 05:55 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
These Giubo joints are easy to find for BMW, but not so much for the LS. I replaced them on my 7 Series BMW back in the day and it was a fairly simple job. Im not sure why its so hard to find for the LS. I've searched everywhere for you, but no joy. You shouldn't have to get the entire driveshaft.
I would be curious if another manufacturers Giubo Joint (EG: BMW, Infinity, etc.) would fit the LS. I think it is wrong that the dealer does not carry this simple "rubber piece" and makes you buy the entire shaft.

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 01-09-17 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-09-17, 11:54 PM
Ricks619
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
I would be curious if another manufacturers Giubo Joint (EG: BMW, Infinity, etc.) would fit the LS. I think it is wrong that the dealer does not carry this simple "rubber piece" and makes you buy the entire shaft.
I totally agree with you and its so stupid that the dealer is doing that. And I do would love to know too if there's one out there that match up to the LS. That would b great.
Old 01-10-17, 04:02 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Anything's possible, but I seriously doubt it. The bolt pattern, diameter and thickness would likely be off. I'm willing to bet that with enough research, one could find a replacement specifically for the LS. Nothing I could find on Ebay or vendors like Rock Auto.
Old 01-10-17, 04:19 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

It would be very interesting if the OP's rubber joint was the same as the Flea Bay item in post #7. There has to be one available..... the trick is to find the one with the same specs. This is a piece that almost everyone who owns a LS will be replacing eventually if they keep the car long enough.
Quick story: The OP went to Lexus looking for a Giubo Joint..... The dealer said: "Pay me $1000 and I will give you the Shaft"
Old 01-10-17, 05:42 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

If you have yours off and apart, the next step would be to go to a local auto parts store and ask if they can match up one they have in stock to yours. The factory part looks well-designed (no surprise), with no sharp edges to act as stress-risers and sleeves to keep the bolts from twisting the rubber in the disc when they reach full torque. It is OK if the replacement doesn't have the secondary sleeves, but you will need to put the bolts through the disc (nuts clamping against the 3-bolt steel differential & trans output flanges) and hold the bolts absolutely still when torquing the nuts - to avoid pre-stressing the rubber disc.
Old 01-11-17, 07:46 AM
Ricks619
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tec80
If you have yours off and apart, the next step would be to go to a local auto parts store and ask if they can match up one they have in stock to yours. The factory part looks well-designed (no surprise), with no sharp edges to act as stress-risers and sleeves to keep the bolts from twisting the rubber in the disc when they reach full torque. It is OK if the replacement doesn't have the secondary sleeves, but you will need to put the bolts through the disc (nuts clamping against the 3-bolt steel differential & trans output flanges) and hold the bolts absolutely still when torquing the nuts - to avoid pre-stressing the rubber disc.
Trust me Tec80 I'd try that. Went to all the local parts store Nappa, pepboy, n so on and nothing plus couple store just wouldn't even try to help cuz they said its not made for the car. People go by the rules too much. Some time u gotta break the rules a little.
Old 01-12-17, 11:05 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Quick story: The OP went to Lexus looking for a Giubo Joint..... The dealer said: "Pay me $1000 and I will give you the Shaft"
Had me LMAO on this... well said.
Old 09-15-20, 05:34 PM
Edabello
Driver School Candidate

Default https://febestparts.com/DRIVE_SHAFT_COUPLING/TDS-USF40

Originally Posted by Ricks619
Hi I'm new to Clublexus. I have the same issue, I just bought an 2008 LS460 found out i needed a new driveshaft flex coupler. Dealer won't sell it separately and I refuse to buy a whole shaft for $1k just to get the coupler. I had search and read lots of forum but was not able to conclude a result. Does anyone know a match up that I can use. Any partnumber would greatly help. Attach is a pic of what I'm looking for. Driveshaft flex joint coupler
I just bought the last one on Amazon. Did some searching around = https://febestparts.com/DRIVE_SHAFT_COUPLING/TDS-USF40

Hours spent searching, hope I can help.
Old 09-15-20, 05:59 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 293 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Edabello
I just bought the last one on Amazon. Did some searching around = https://febestparts.com/DRIVE_SHAFT_COUPLING/TDS-USF40

Hours spent searching, hope I can help.
Thanks for the link. Please keep us posted with your impressions of the part and its initial quality.
The following users liked this post:
Edabello (09-15-20)
Old 09-15-20, 06:08 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 858 Likes on 631 Posts

What are the symptoms of a failing flex coupler?