LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Bummer!!! Rear ended on the freeway...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-17, 03:39 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Thanks for all the positive sentiments. It is great being back to "normal".

There was no frame damage but there was some supplemental repairs as they tore the car down and found some items they had to replace. For example, the latch on the trunk appeared to be okay but when all assembled the unit failed and a new one was ordered (an over $600 part!!!). It took three tries and finally a drive to the dealership to get the correct trunk trim piece (the dealership kept sending the wrong part even though they read them the part number stenciled on the piece).

Wife is much better but she did make me drive it home and it took a couple of short trips to shake the trepidation (she joked she wanted to put the car in "bubble wrap" and leave it in the garage).
Old 02-18-17, 04:08 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck05
Thanks for all the positive sentiments. It is great being back to "normal".

There was no frame damage but there was some supplemental repairs as they tore the car down and found some items they had to replace. For example, the latch on the trunk appeared to be okay but when all assembled the unit failed and a new one was ordered (an over $600 part!!!). It took three tries and finally a drive to the dealership to get the correct trunk trim piece (the dealership kept sending the wrong part even though they read them the part number stenciled on the piece).

Wife is much better but she did make me drive it home and it took a couple of short trips to shake the trepidation (she joked she wanted to put the car in "bubble wrap" and leave it in the garage).
It's normal to be a bit gun shy after an experience such as what you suffered, It'll be fine! Glad to have you back in the mix.
Old 04-11-17, 09:51 PM
Duck05
Racer

Default Can not believe it!!!!!!

Well...... The LS460 got rear ended again on Thursday (04/06/2017).....

Similar circumstance.....

Wife sitting at a red light with a Camry stopped behind her and an ATT service vehicle rams into the back of the Camry and then hits the back of her car......(She was returning from her physical therapy appointment from the accident in January...).

Lower speed impact and she is fine but the rear bumper cover is smashed/cracked and needs to be replaced at minimum. What "fun" - more insurance company claims, rental cars, and body shop visits....

We are jokingly talking "Hummer" or better yet a tank....
Old 04-12-17, 12:07 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Wife sitting at a red light with a Camry stopped behind her and an ATT service vehicle rams into the back of the Camry and then hits the back of her car......(She was returning from her physical therapy appointment from the accident in January...).

Lower speed impact and she is fine but the rear bumper cover is smashed/cracked and needs to be replaced at minimum. What "fun" - more insurance company claims, rental cars, and body shop visits....

You got to be kidding us, Duck! Unbelievable circumstances to have it all repeat again. So sorry for your wife too since she's still recovering from the previous hit. Wow, just wow. Hope the Camry driver/passengers are okay too...even the ATT driver. Wishing your wife a full recovery, both physical and mental.
Old 04-12-17, 06:06 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
I just went through a diminished value situation. My wife was rear ended on the highway in our 2015 4 Runner. I just dealt with their insurance co. When I brought up the diminished value subject to the Geico rep handling my claim she said certainly, I will transfer you to our diminished value department. They e-mailed me a form to sign. Geico, Country(my ins.) and my real good body shop all said they don't report to Carfax. It never showed up on there. Bottom line Geico only offered me $200 diminished value because the whole body shop bill was only $2,000. I asked for $500 and the rep folded in a second and sent me the check. Your case should pay way more because of your big repair cost. For your case It might be smart to use a diminished value recovery company to prepare your demand letter etc. for a couple hundred dollars. They should pay you at least 10% of the value of your car. That's a week in Kaui.
That does not change the fact *IF* it shows up on a carfax somewhere. It's pulled up by repair records so it's possable it can show up. 5 years from now when your trying to sell it, people who look over the detials wiill skip over your car because of that.

Even $500 does not help if the car does not sell or you being forced to take trade in value (50-75% of retail) just to move it along. This happend to a frend of mine.

OMG, what is the odss of that that ! Glad she is ok but, dam.
Old 04-12-17, 06:43 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 311 Posts

Duck

Sorry to hear about another accident. Glad your wife is ok. That is the important thing. The rest is just stuff.

Dennis
Old 04-12-17, 09:50 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Time to get a set of those bull-horn bumpers (front and rear) the CHP used to use on their Dodge cruisers in the 1970's!
Old 04-12-17, 10:08 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

That sucks, but at least she's ok and damage is minor. People keep bringing up diminished value BUT based on you still have your SC and LS which I believe you said at some point in another thread you are the original owner of, or bought near new, I wouldn't worry about it that much. If you were selling it in 5 years, sure, but by the time you sell it after may years, realistically most people won't care/bother to pull a car fax on it. Hope the repair goes as well as it did originally.
Old 04-12-17, 10:08 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

WOW. Crazy bad luck. My wife and I have been driving for 35+ years and neither of us has EVER been rear ended. Hope all goes well, and of course, we're pulling for you and watching how it all works out.
Old 04-12-17, 10:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Man, that sucks!!
Old 04-12-17, 11:52 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Sorry to learn of this... Hopefully, just like the first round of repairs, this round will turn out well.

My father once had two minor car accidents on the same day with the same person! This was in the 1960s, and in a fairly contained/small city, but still...
Old 04-12-17, 11:54 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by caha14
Sorry to learn of this... Hopefully, just like the first round of repairs, this round will turn out well.

My father once had two minor car accidents on the same day with the same person! This was in the 1960s, and in a fairly contained/small city, but still...
Sorry, Duck, to detour off your wife's accident but can you share more please, caha? Sounds like an interesting story there.
Old 04-12-17, 08:23 PM
Duck05
Racer

It is hard to believe....... Stop light in town, car behind her also stopped; ATT van plows in and chain reaction. No one hurt..... Pics from the scene.....
Attached Thumbnails Bummer!!!  Rear ended on the freeway...-img_1523.jpg   Bummer!!!  Rear ended on the freeway...-img_1515.jpg   Bummer!!!  Rear ended on the freeway...-img_1509.jpg   Bummer!!!  Rear ended on the freeway...-img_1517.jpg   Bummer!!!  Rear ended on the freeway...-img_1525.jpg  

Bummer!!!  Rear ended on the freeway...-img_1518.jpg  
Old 04-12-17, 08:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Unbelievable.

Interesting that your bodyshop the last time chose to put the Lexus emblem on there. Did you ask for that? Also the location of the emblems is incorrect, bugs the hell out of me when I see that, you always know the rear end of a car was hit when they don't put them back properly. They're too high off of the taillights/chrome strip.
Old 04-13-17, 05:00 PM
Duck05
Racer

Until you pointed that out we did not notice..... It was a brand new trunk lid and on the original the left side was obliterated so it is possible the shop believed a "Lexus" badge was there and got knocked off so they put one on.... Does not bother me (wife did not notice, either) one way or the other as long as it appears symmetrical enough... Now, looking at '14s on Autotrader, I kind of like the 3 badge across look... Who knows, maybe this will start a "trend" (LOL).

Last edited by Duck05; 04-14-17 at 08:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Bummer!!! Rear ended on the freeway...