LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Bummer!!! Rear ended on the freeway...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-17, 08:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

There's a difference between it being functionally as good as new, and as valuable as before the accident happened. I fully believe it can be made as functionally good as new. Value is another matter, and thats what the diminished value claim is for.
Old 01-07-17, 10:58 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I also believe that it *could* be repaired to functionally as good as new also. But my opinion is, that it is not likely to be repaired at that level. Because most shops don't mind trying to hide things they think they can get away with in order to reduce costs / increase margin ... or because they just plain suck at what they do (or both).

I have been exposed to a lot of car dealerships, service departments and repair shops. And while there are ALWAYS exceptions, I have never met anyone working at those facilities that was a rocket scientist. A considerably high percentage have a rather shady background. Yet locally I have found a diamond in the rough. A shop owner near me would strike most people as just a condescending term for a Mexican. But in fact, he is from Ecuador, and is quite a smart problem solver who does his best to solve the actual problem while actively trying to save his customers money. And for that, he gets lots of repeat customers and word of mouth recommendations. So they're out there but in short supply. He did some really great work for me that other shops wouldn't even touch.

Good luck whichever route you take.
Old 01-07-17, 11:01 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback. I have complete trust in the body shop based on our past dealings. They have been told it is to be done "right" not fast....

The replacement rental Camry is acceptable (agreed, not an LS460 but she has access to the LS430). Way better than the Sentra; no contest.

We will bring up the diminished value topic with the adjuster and see where that goes. Very early in the process (according to what everyone that have had similar experiences are telling us...).

She will be going to her GP doctor on Monday (tried to get in yesterday but no appointments) as advised by AAA using their claim process. She is okay but not that motivated to get behind a wheel for a while.

The LS460 did it's job and protected her as designed. If you have to "get hit" always best to be in a bigger vehicle designed to absorb that type of impact...... The MB ML350 took a beating as well (I don't believe his airbags deployed, either) but they took him to Kaiser as he was quite shaken up and it was not good to see him walking when they decided to take him.

Horrible process to go through but safety is a high priority versus other aspects of cars.....
Old 01-09-17, 07:27 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Oh man that's too bad. But glad your wife wasn't hurt. The car can be repaired.
Old 01-12-17, 07:21 PM
Duck05
Racer

Wife got a call today and the car was looked at by the adjuster (on Monday) and the shop started to disassemble and order parts. $12K and counting.
Old 01-12-17, 08:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Sounds about right...

It'll be way more when its all done.
Old 01-12-17, 09:45 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I just went through a diminished value situation. My wife was rear ended on the highway in our 2015 4 Runner. I just dealt with their insurance co. When I brought up the diminished value subject to the Geico rep handling my claim she said certainly, I will transfer you to our diminished value department. They e-mailed me a form to sign. Geico, Country(my ins.) and my real good body shop all said they don't report to Carfax. It never showed up on there. Bottom line Geico only offered me $200 diminished value because the whole body shop bill was only $2,000. I asked for $500 and the rep folded in a second and sent me the check. Your case should pay way more because of your big repair cost. For your case It might be smart to use a diminished value recovery company to prepare your demand letter etc. for a couple hundred dollars. They should pay you at least 10% of the value of your car. That's a week in Kaui.
The following users liked this post:
Junglequac (01-13-17)
Old 01-13-17, 01:57 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
I just went through a diminished value situation. My wife was rear ended on the highway in our 2015 4 Runner. I just dealt with their insurance co. When I brought up the diminished value subject to the Geico rep handling my claim she said certainly, I will transfer you to our diminished value department. They e-mailed me a form to sign. Geico, Country(my ins.) and my real good body shop all said they don't report to Carfax. It never showed up on there. Bottom line Geico only offered me $200 diminished value because the whole body shop bill was only $2,000. I asked for $500 and the rep folded in a second and sent me the check. Your case should pay way more because of your big repair cost. For your case It might be smart to use a diminished value recovery company to prepare your demand letter etc. for a couple hundred dollars. They should pay you at least 10% of the value of your car. That's a week in Kaui.
Great info. As I think I was the first to mention the idea of going after diminished value (not a humblebrag!), I feel much better with there being an example. I have come across a good deal of this information through my brother's experience both managing body shops and now being an adjuster for Allstate.
Old 02-14-17, 10:53 PM
Duck05
Racer

Finally got the car back..... Little over a month.

The repair tally came in at just over $15K ...... All paid for by the tow truck insurance company.

All new OEM parts and the paint match is spot on.... Car looks and drives/rides like new......

Horrible process and distracting....
Old 02-14-17, 11:07 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Congrats on getting the car back in fine condition! Was there any damage to the frame? Did they have to stretch the frame to make everything fit precisely again? Notwithstanding the trying process of getting your car fixed, everyone is thankful your wife was not injured. That's the most important thing. Good luck and be safe.
Old 02-15-17, 06:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Glad it's back and all is well!
Old 02-15-17, 10:24 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Glad to hear that you can now move forward (no pun intended!). I can imagine how stressful it must have been.
Old 02-15-17, 11:09 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Happy that you're back in business!
These situations can be just absolute headaches, but glad everything seemed to work out well for you.
Old 02-15-17, 12:33 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Glad to hear the ordeal with the car is over. Also hope the wife has not suffered any lingering issues. All the best to you both and the family.
Old 02-15-17, 01:49 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Glad everything worked out well for you !!!

Quick Reply: Bummer!!! Rear ended on the freeway...