LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Bummer!!! Rear ended on the freeway...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-17, 05:20 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Sorry to hear about your car. They are like our babies but like you said they can be fixed or replaced. I can't believe it takes so long for you to get a copy of the police report with the other drivers info. Down here in my area of south florida the cop has a printer in his car and each party gets a copy right there with everyones info and description of the accident. Even the other parties insurance company and policy number is on there. Either way like others have said use the best shop and the car will be as good as new. Glad your wife is ok.
Old 01-05-17, 06:49 PM
RayLS
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident.
Glad your wife is okay.
Keep us posted.
Old 01-06-17, 12:58 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Really sorry to read this and so glad to read she is ok. I would also go after diminished value as the accident will undoubtedly show up on CarFax and it is such a new LS.
Old 01-06-17, 01:08 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck05
AAA adjuster called this afternoon and things are rolling, Deductible waived since she was not at fault. Rental car covered for up to 30 days. Body shop information provided and we will be dropping it off tomorrow (with the Hertz rental car pickup right around the corner). Now the waiting .......

Thanks for everyone's comments and positive sediments.

Few more pics (click on pic to go to album...)
The damage looks much worse in daylight. Hope the shop fixes it really well. Assuming you plan to own this car for many years, you should make sure the shop uses new OEM parts only. Sometimes, the shop may consult with the adjuster and use re-conditioned or aftermarket parts to lower the repair cost to the insurer.
Old 01-06-17, 01:11 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Junglequac
Really sorry to read this and so glad to read she is ok. I would also go after diminished value as the accident will undoubtedly show up on CarFax and it is such a new LS.
I've never heard of this. I didn't know you could ask for compensation for diminished value, but it would make sense. However, wouldn't diminished value apply to every vehicle involved in an accident?
Old 01-06-17, 01:42 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
I've never heard of this. I didn't know you could ask for compensation for diminished value, but it would make sense. However, wouldn't diminished value apply to every vehicle involved in an accident?
If at fault, I don't think it would be very possible, but well could be wrong. However, when clearly not at fault, it is a possibility. Especially when the person being hit is not claiming injury or being unreasonable. As many folks will not even consider a car that shows an accident on CarFax, it has become more prevalent for an adjustment to be made for those not at fault. Especially with expensive and relatively new cars.
Old 01-06-17, 01:49 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Junglequac
If at fault, I don't think it would be very possible, but well could be wrong. However, when clearly not at fault, it is a possibility. Especially when the person being hit is not claiming injury or being unreasonable. As many folks will not even consider a car that shows an accident on CarFax, it has become more prevalent for an adjustment to be made for those not at fault. Especially with expensive and relatively new cars.
I see the logic of an adjustment, but how does one place a dollar value on it? Would I get a larger adjustment for diminished value if the damage is $10000 versus $1000? A potential buyer would be more hesitant to consider a car involved in a serious accident than one hit in a minor fender bender. I should ask my cousin's wife who works in auto insurance claims.
Old 01-06-17, 07:50 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Dropped the car off today at the body shop while picking up a rental car (more on that topic below). Since she was not at fault and my insurance company is not even charging the deductible I am not concerned about them trying to pressure the body shop into using inferior parts. Just looking the vehicle, the body shop owner started rattling off the list of items that would be replaced and early guess is over $9K before he inspects the framing. The AAA adjuster stated they end up going after the tow truck company's insurance carrier as the cause of the event.

The sun roof activated and open up about a third of the way during the crash; the body shop owner guessed that was electrical and that Lexus would have to inspect and assess that aspect and sign off on that piece.

Not concerned about the Carfax or diminished value since we plan on keeping this car for a long time. If the repairs go as planned we are expecting a "good as new" result.

The insurance coverage includes a rental car allowance for a replacement vehicle up to $25 a day and maximum $750 (so roughly 30 days). AAA evidently has a contract with Hertz so they arranged for a rental and selected the Hertz location only a few blocks from the body shop (Enterprise also has a location nearby as well - I used Enterprise when the SC had some extensive work done). Hertz bills AAA directly and we were entitled to a "standard" size car. When I called the Hertz site yesterday they said they could not specify a make/model car but they had cars available. So, when we get down there this morning they only had "sub compacts" available and stuck us with a Nissan Sentra BUT we could check back tomorrow and could trade for a larger, "standard" model. We did not want to have to drive all the way back there and the agent offered instead to swap the car at the Hertz location in our town instead. We called from the road and got a similar story from the local office but decided to "drop in" at the location and ask for a swap in person. They did not have any "standard" models so I asked them to contact us (instead of us having to call them to check) when a suitable vehicle came available. Magically, a car came back a few hours later (a Toyota Camry) and the swap was made...... (BTW, the '16 Nissan Sentra is a horrible car...).
Old 01-06-17, 08:49 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Dropped the car off today at the body shop while picking up a rental car (more on that topic below). Since she was not at fault and my insurance company is not even charging the deductible I am not concerned about them trying to pressure the body shop into using inferior parts. Just looking the vehicle, the body shop owner started rattling off the list of items that would be replaced and early guess is over $9K before he inspects the framing. The AAA adjuster stated they end up going after the tow truck company's insurance carrier as the cause of the event.

Not concerned about the Carfax or diminished value since we plan on keeping this car for a long time. If the repairs go as planned we are expecting a "good as new" result.
Thanks for the update, Duck. Looks like things are moving along nicely. I see your point: since AAA is not paying for the repairs, they have no incentive to reduce costs by asking the body shop to use reconditioned parts. In any case, it would be a good idea to remind the body shop to use new OEM parts only, especially since you plan to own the car for a long time.
Old 01-07-17, 02:58 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

That is interesting that there is a maximum as when I got hit a few years back, I was entitled to a luxury rental as I had (what was considered by the insurance/rental company) a luxury car. Did not even have to ask for it. To be clear, this was only when I was not at fault as otherwise my Farmers policy is likewise $25 a day when I make a claim.

And considering your wife was hit and how new the car is, I would absolutely demand new parts as opposed to "reconditioned". It would be one thing if we were talking about a 2000 model. Especially considering these cars are not exactly cheap when new.
Old 01-07-17, 06:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Good body shops always fight for new OEM parts.
Old 01-07-17, 06:35 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

If the repairs go as planned we are expecting a "good as new" result.
Duck - Don't take this as a criticism, because it is not. But ... you expect too much.

And a Sentra is a horrible car ... compared to an LS. Especially as a rental car when no one takes care of it, and most drivers beat on it. If I were in the market for a cheap car, the Sentra would not be my choice ... there's worse though.

I'll say that I would request diminished value, then sell / trade it in for a new LS. I wouldn't take the chance on dealing with future issues to come from a car damaged like that. Plan on keeping the next one long term, and use the diminished value to keep your payment the same or as close to the same as you can. My opinion.

Whatever you do, I hope it works out for the best!

Jason
Old 01-07-17, 06:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

If you have a good shop, I would expect an as new result from the repair. I would definitely get a diminished value claim though
Old 01-07-17, 08:37 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Duck - Don't take this as a criticism, because it is not. But ... you expect too much.

And a Sentra is a horrible car ... compared to an LS. Especially as a rental car when no one takes care of it, and most drivers beat on it. If I were in the market for a cheap car, the Sentra would not be my choice ... there's worse though.

I'll say that I would request diminished value, then sell / trade it in for a new LS. I wouldn't take the chance on dealing with future issues to come from a car damaged like that. Plan on keeping the next one long term, and use the diminished value to keep your payment the same or as close to the same as you can. My opinion.

Whatever you do, I hope it works out for the best!

Jason
Amen. I drove my friend's rental Sentra and it was the second worst modern car I have ever driven followed closely behind the PT Cruiser. I think the CVT transmission is a prime culprit for making the Sentra just an awful motoring experience.

I am also, needless to say, in complete agreement about the diminished value as she was not at fault and a 2014 LS460 is still worth quite a large sum of money and judging by the damage, it will never be "as good as new"
Old 01-07-17, 08:42 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Sorry about the accident! My car was hit a while back, but I was fortunate that it was a glancing blow on the side from a car that was directly hit by someone who ran a traffic light. Although your wife might seem OK, if you haven't already done so, consider visiting a doctor who is familiar with injuries caused by these types of car accidents. Injuries don't always manifest themselves immediately after an accident due to shock and other factors.

My Lexus dealer had an office of a body shop (an independent business) on site. My insurance plan paid for Lexus parts, which were used. Although my rental car benefit (IIRC) was only $25/day, my insurance company (AAA) had an arrangement with Hertz where a mid-sized car would be provided at that cost.

Last edited by Gbp; 01-07-17 at 08:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Bummer!!! Rear ended on the freeway...