LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Current 430 owner shopping for a 460L

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-16, 02:09 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Current 430 owner shopping for a 460L

Hi all, we have an 06 ML with 61k miles. Bought it with 48k miles in April 2016. I enjoy the car very much but deep down I always wanted a 460L.

Test drove an 08 today with 141k miles. It drove better than I expected on the 19" rims. Everything works (lights, heated/cooled seats, seat adjustments, and various controls, keyless entry, etc.). This is from a small independent dealership that sources their cars from Carmax auctions. I've always had reservations about places like these but couldn't resist checking the car out. I will have my mechanic inspect the car too. Until then, here are my immediate observations/concerns. Can anyone help chime in on the items below, please?

1. I need to run the VIN through Lexus site and Carfax (no guarantees it'll report everything).

2. The driver's side rear speaker seems really dingy compared to passenger side. Hopefully they can clean it or replace it.

3. Is there something important that goes here or is it just a cover? Why would someone remove it?

4. The dash brightness doesn't appear to change when I press these buttons. Is there a special way of using the adjustments?

5. The dash also shows low tire pressure and to check the rear lights. Odd since the rear lights looked fine. The salesperson also had to jumpstart the car because the battery was dead. Nav maps also original 2007. Not really any major issues that I can see. Leather also looked in great shape with barely a wrinkle:

6. Yes, the 08 isn't as quiet at idle as our 430. The biggest question mark I have is why the 08 is so loud when gently accelerating during the test drive. It just sounded very metallic and chain-like. Couldn't find any examples on YouTube of what a 460 engine properly sounds like from the cabin when accelerating. Need to test drive a few others to get a better baseline. The shift quality of the 8-speed seemed fine. Not great but not bad -- certainly didn't do anything that I found distracting or worrisome. Not sure if it's normal but I notice the car really slows down when you let off the gas, as if it had regenerative brakes but this isn't a hybrid.
Old 12-20-16, 02:17 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Also, do these rotors look okay? Is this rust? Of course I'll have my mechanic take a look but just curious what others think. Thank you.

Old 12-20-16, 02:44 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I have to say..unless these seats are brand new, they look fantastic!
These cars really age well when they are taken care of.
Regarding the dirty area in the rear by the c-pillar/speaker, that could very well be where a mechanic pulled the seat away from the rear decking of the vehicle to perform a repair of some sort... Or perhaps where a child like to place their hands..you don't really know. But as long as when you play music and it works, some Sonax and a moist/damp mf cloth or Woolite and a damp mf cloth and blotting/gentle wipes will bring it clean.
The second item is the shift lock cover.
I wouldn't say its something imperative, however, there is normally a small plastic piece/cover there with a slit in it the size/width of a key that you would use in the event the gears were to lock up, or switch gears with the ignition off. It'd be good to have the cover, but its such a small space, I doubt anything would go in there by mistake, BUT it'd be best covered up to avoid any mishaps.
TPMS sensors could be faulty/battery dying or the wheels could actually need air.
Regarding he message to check rear lights-I've never heard/seen that before.
If its been sitting for a while, especially in the cold, it would need to be jump started, or it could actually need a new battery. have that tested as well.
Maps, if you care, will need an update but it'll only be to what the software will handle, which I think is up to 2010. Im not sure it can be obtained elsewhere, but the dealership asks from $180-$220 I believe. The update will also flash and continue past the start-up screen where you have to press/touch "I Agree" in order for the screen to resume normal functionality.
Those brightness buttons should work... Its not an over all huge difference, but you should be able to tell a difference in brightness.
Those rotors looks horrible but could actually be ok, as the longer a car sits, surface rust will appear and as the car drives and brakes, the friction between the pads and rotors will clean them up a bit.
Your mechanic will better gauge the rotor and pad thickness/condition.
As others will tell you/have said, the 460 isn't a dead silent operator, as you will and do hear lifter noise from DI, but it also appears some vehicles are louder than others.
My advice to you is what others told me and it seems as if you have the right idea already, is to test drive multiple specimens to obtain a solid idea as to what an older LS should sound like.
Shifting; im wondering if the trans fluid has been changed...
Im sure many others will chime in, but I hope ive provided some input here.
Keep us posted and good luck!!
Old 12-20-16, 03:05 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I have to say..unless these seats are brand new, they look fantastic!
These cars really age well when they are taken care of.
Regarding the dirty area in the rear by the c-pillar/speaker, that could very well be where a mechanic pulled the seat away from the rear decking of the vehicle to perform a repair of some sort... Or perhaps where a child like to place their hands..you don't really know. But as long as when you play music and it works, some Sonax and a moist/damp mf cloth or Woolite and a damp mf cloth and blotting/gentle wipes will bring it clean.
The second item is the shift lock cover.
I wouldn't say its something imperative, however, there is normally a small plastic piece/cover there with a slit in it the size/width of a key that you would use in the event the gears were to lock up, or switch gears with the ignition off. It'd be good to have the cover, but its such a small space, I doubt anything would go in there by mistake, BUT it'd be best covered up to avoid any mishaps.
TPMS sensors could be faulty/battery dying or the wheels could actually need air.
Regarding he message to check rear lights-I've never heard/seen that before.
If its been sitting for a while, especially in the cold, it would need to be jump started, or it could actually need a new battery. have that tested as well.
Maps, if you care, will need an update but it'll only be to what the software will handle, which I think is up to 2010. Im not sure it can be obtained elsewhere, but the dealership asks from $180-$220 I believe. The update will also flash and continue past the start-up screen where you have to press/touch "I Agree" in order for the screen to resume normal functionality.
Those brightness buttons should work... Its not an over all huge difference, but you should be able to tell a difference in brightness.
Those rotors looks horrible but could actually be ok, as the longer a car sits, surface rust will appear and as the car drives and brakes, the friction between the pads and rotors will clean them up a bit.
Your mechanic will better gauge the rotor and pad thickness/condition.
As others will tell you/have said, the 460 isn't a dead silent operator, as you will and do hear lifter noise from DI, but it also appears some vehicles are louder than others.
My advice to you is what others told me and it seems as if you have the right idea already, is to test drive multiple specimens to obtain a solid idea as to what an older LS should sound like.
Shifting; im wondering if the trans fluid has been changed...
Im sure many others will chime in, but I hope ive provided some input here.
Keep us posted and good luck!!
Thanks a lot for the assessment, CRowe. Greatly appreciate it. In the process of coordinating a Pre-purchase inspection with my mechanic. We have a great relationship so he's only charging me $70 for a 2-hour inspection. He knows we're also in the market for an 07 or 08 RX350 that will need his thorough inspection.

I forgot one other item. The rubber handle part under the trunk doesn't appear to do anything. I can't seem to manually open the trunk with this handle. Is there a button under the rubber? The trunk seems to only open, and automatically lift up, from the interior trunk release or the keyfob:

Old 12-20-16, 03:13 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Thanks a lot for the assessment, CRowe. Greatly appreciate it. In the process of coordinating a Pre-purchase inspection with my mechanic. We have a great relationship so he's only charging me $70 for a 2-hour inspection. He knows we're also in the market for an 07 or 08 RX350 that will need his thorough inspection.

I forgot one other item. The rubber handle part under the trunk doesn't appear to do anything. I can't seem to manually open the trunk with this handle. Is there a button under the rubber? The trunk seems to only open, and automatically lift up, from the interior trunk release or the keyfob:

Not a problem, only trying to help!
When I was shopping for mine I had quite a few questions to ask and everyone was very, very helpful.
This forum is really an awesome place for information and some fantastic people.
Ironic you mention this and I should also thank you for this question, as I had also wondered the same thing and have always meant to ask but always seem to forget.
When I press that same button, nothing happens for me either, but I do know that same button can become deteriorated and sticky to the point its absolutely useless, so be careful.
Oh, also...those tires have to go! Cinturato A/S+ is the route to go!!
Old 12-20-16, 03:20 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Not a problem, only trying to help!
When I was shopping for mine I had quite a few questions to ask and everyone was very, very helpful.
This forum is really an awesome place for information and some fantastic people.
Ironic you mention this and I should also thank you for this question, as I had also wondered the same thing and have always meant to ask but always seem to forget.
When I press that same button, nothing happens for me either, but I do know that same button can become deteriorated and sticky to the point its absolutely useless, so be careful.
Oh, also...those tires have to go! Cinturato A/S+ is the route to go!!
I'lI definitely have the mechanic estimate the cost of repairing the trunk release since it may help negotiate a lower price. Thanks for the Cinturato recommendation, CRowe! I have them on our 430 and love 'em.
Old 12-20-16, 03:21 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Good observations and it helps to do your homework before you purchase it.
Old 12-20-16, 03:33 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

That button should work. When you press the bump on the rubber piece, the button underneath it will noticeably depress. Then I get a beep, my trunk unlocks and opens fully. Do you have the key fob in your pocket while trying this?
Old 12-20-16, 03:36 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by comotiger
That button should work. When you press the bump on the rubber piece, the button underneath it will noticeably depress. Then I get a beep, my trunk unlocks and opens fully. Do you have the key fob in your pocket while trying this?
Thank you, comotiger, and good point. I expected the button to work like our 430 (which also requires the key fob to be in close proximity) and I can't recall if I was holding the key fob or if the salesperson had it on his body and maybe was standing a little too far. I will try to retest and make sure the next time I see the car.
Old 12-20-16, 03:47 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Hi all, we have an 06 ML with 61k miles. Bought it with 48k miles in April 2016. I enjoy the car very much but deep down I always wanted a 460L.
I was in a similar situation last year. Bought a 2012 SWB CPO in June 2015. But quickly started longing for a LWB and all the bells and whistles. Bit the bullet and bought my 2014 LWB UltraLux in Feb 2016. My family loves the car, and I am very happy with this decision!

Can anyone help chime in on the items below, please?

1. I need to run the VIN through Lexus site and Carfax (no guarantees it'll report everything).
Run the VIN on Autocheck also. My 2012 SWB was accident free on Carfax but had a reported accident on Autocheck. The selling dealer never disclosed, and I only found out when I sold it in February!

4. The dash brightness doesn't appear to change when I press these buttons. Is there a special way of using the adjustments?
The buttons work as you described. You should try adjusting at nighttime. Or maybe some lights have burned out.

5. The dash also shows low tire pressure and to check the rear lights. Odd since the rear lights looked fine.

6. Not sure if it's normal but I notice the car really slows down when you let off the gas, as if it had regenerative brakes but this isn't a hybrid.
Beautiful UltraLux package on this vehicle. You will love it, or rather your kids will, with all the space and buttons to play with on the rear center console

Your rear light and braking problems may be related. Is it possible that the brake is always engaged at a low level, like some folks who rest one foot on the brake pedal and the other on the gas? In your case, something may be continuously engaging the brake. Ask someone else to drive while you check the brake lights and center stop light.
Old 12-20-16, 04:06 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Thanks, comotiger! Glad to hear you and your family are loving your '14 LWB.

I will do as you suggested and look into Autocheck too. I don't think the 08 I'm looking at is UL. The rear console doesn't have the assortment of controls and buttons, yet the B-pillar has vents. I thought B-pillar vents only appeared if there is the separate rear-AC unit in the trunk and if the rear center console had the display and extra buttons. The trunk doesnt appear to have a second AC condenser unit encroaching on space, so I'm not sure why this model has B-pillar vents. Plus, this one is without the air suspension (which I prefer).

Old 12-20-16, 04:28 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

I am pretty sure yours is an UL. Or maybe it is the Comfort Plus package in pre-2010 cars.

1) You have seat memory buttons on the rear doors. The three buttons on the center console control the seat reclining functions for the L and R rear seats.

2) In these older models, the massaging control buttons were placed on "remote control" units found inside the center console. Maybe you have those, I don't know. Likewise, the seat cool/heat buttons are also underneath the leather panel.

I just found these pictures on the web, and matches your car nicely.

The B-pillar vents are found on all LS460s. Do you have AC vents above the rear passenger doors? That would be a sign of the rear AC unit. Plus you would have a cool box. I think these features were added in 2010 and called the UltraLux. Maybe there was only Comfort Plus and no UltraLux before 2010. Just a guess. Regardless, this car looks great. Hope you get a great deal!
Old 12-20-16, 04:49 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Oh, I didn't know all 460s had the B-pillar vents! Thanks for setting me straight, comotiger. I definitely have some of my packages mixed up. I assumed Ultra Luxury meant it had every possible option available. I do not believe the 08 I'm looking at has vents in the headliner. I definitely would have noticed those. And thank you for reminding me about the rear memory seats. This will actually allow some sort of limited recline adjustment while the car seat blocks the rear center armrest!

The 08 definitely doesn't have the cooler box. I checked and it's just a pass-through.
Old 12-20-16, 05:00 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Oh, I didn't know all 460s had the B-pillar vents! Thanks for setting me straight, comotiger. I definitely have some of my packages mixed up. I assumed Ultra Luxury meant it had every possible option available. I do not believe the 08 I'm looking at has vents in the headliner. I definitely would have noticed those. And thank you for reminding me about the rear memory seats. This will actually allow some sort of limited recline adjustment while the car seat blocks the rear center armrest!

The 08 definitely doesn't have the cooler box. I checked and it's just a pass-through.
The UltraLux and Executive packages are similar and are the top end seating options. In the UltraLux, both rear seats have similar levels of power reclining and massage functions. In the Executive, the right seat has the ottoman, pull out table, fixed rear center console, and shiatsu massage options. The other top end package is the advanced pre-collision package that has dynamic cruise control, lane keep assist, pedestrian avoidance and driver attention monitor. I don't know if this safety package was available in the 2009 LS460, although some features like dynamic cruise were.

The rear seat memory buttons on the doors does not give you any ability to adjust the seats. It merely allows the seats to return to a position entered into memory.
Old 12-20-16, 05:02 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

I just sold my ls430 for an 08 L with 37000 miles, best move I ever did

How much is this dealership asking for the 08? That would help to see if its worth it or not , the mileage is a tad on the high side

Quick Reply: Current 430 owner shopping for a 460L