LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Control rear heated seats from the front?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-16, 10:50 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Control rear heated seats from the front?

I'm usually active in the LS430 forum, but have been searching online for an LS460L. On many of the online listings, I see photos of the front center console with a button that has a fan icon and the word "REAR". Does that mean I can control the rear seat cooling from the driver's seat? If so, is there a similar option to control rear heated seats from the driver's position? The reason I ask is because we currently have our daughter's carseat in the middle rear of the LS430, blocking all rear seat controls until probably 2019 or 2020.
Old 12-20-16, 06:22 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

I don't recall a button in my 2014 LWB to control rear seat cooling. I can navigate in the Climate menu and turn off all rear seat controls such as reclining seats and air conditioning (I have the UltraLux package), and I presume that also includes rear seat heating and cooling. But I haven't tested this and I don't have my owner's manual handy. I will check tonight and report.
Old 12-20-16, 06:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

You can turn on and off the auxiliary rear HVAC but not the heated or cooled seats.
Old 12-20-16, 07:57 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

It depends on the year and options. in some, you can toggle the rear seat heat on/off. Since the rear seat armrest is blocked by the car seat you have to set the temperature before you install the seat.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=ls460+center+console&fr=yfp-t&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.caranddriver.com%2Fimages%2F12q3%2F467372%2F2013-lexus-ls460-center-console-photo-467380-s-1280x782.jpg#id=2&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.caranddriver.com%2Fimages%2Fmedia%2F35760%2F2007-lexus-ls460-center-console-photo-39396-s-1280x782.jpg&action=click
Old 12-20-16, 08:55 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Thank you, all. Superdenso, thank you for the link. The '13+ interiors are indeed very nice. Below is the button I'm referring to. I have seen it in photos of models that do, and do not, have the additional B-pillar AC vents. Steve mentioned this button may control rear AC but I find that strange because I thought the main screen and row of buttons on the main console control rear. I'm also confused by the depiction of a seat and word "REAR". Is it just to control rear seat cooling? If so, I wonder why they didn't use a similar **** to adjust both heat and cooled seats for the rear (Inn addition to the ones in the rear armrest).

Old 12-20-16, 09:00 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

I have this button on my 2008 LS600hL. It does indeed turn the rear seat heaters/coolers on or off. Note, though, that you can't adjust the temperature setting of the rear seats using this button, so you need to get them set at the right temperature before mounting your car seat.
Old 12-20-16, 09:13 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by riknchar
I have this button on my 2008 LS600hL. It does indeed turn the rear seat heaters/coolers on or off. Note, though, that you can't adjust the temperature setting of the rear seats using this button, so you need to get them set at the right temperature before mounting your car seat.
Thank you, riknchar. Wait, you say it also turns the heat on/off for the rear seats? So it's only based on what the rear seat temp ***** are set at (either hot or cold)? This is great news to me! Still kind of odd for the icon to reflect a fan, unless the rear seat heating element also uses a fan.
Old 12-20-16, 10:31 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Thank you, riknchar. Wait, you say it also turns the heat on/off for the rear seats? So it's only based on what the rear seat temp ***** are set at (either hot or cold)? This is great news to me! Still kind of odd for the icon to reflect a fan, unless the rear seat heating element also uses a fan.
It turns the rear seating heating or cooling on/off depending on what you set on the rear armrest. So for example lets say that the left seat is set to heat and the right seat is set to cool. The button allows you to turn the heating or cooling on/off. So in your case if you want them to heat, set the dials to heat and put the armrest back up. Then push the button with the fan (no idea why they chose a fan) and it'll turn the heating on and auto shut off when you turn the car off or push the button again to turn heating off. So yes it's only based on what the rear seat temp ***** are set at.
Old 12-20-16, 10:45 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by enoch861
It turns the rear seating heating or cooling on/off depending on what you set on the rear armrest. So for example lets say that the left seat is set to heat and the right seat is set to cool. The button allows you to turn the heating or cooling on/off. So in your case if you want them to heat, set the dials to heat and put the armrest back up. Then push the button with the fan (no idea why they chose a fan) and it'll turn the heating on and auto shut off when you turn the car off or push the button again to turn heating off. So yes it's only based on what the rear seat temp ***** are set at.
Thank you for the explanation, enoch! That is perfect! I will probably only need to adjust the rear armrest twice a year to account for cooler/warmer months.

I find the LS460 has 1.5" less shoulder and hip room than our 430. Surprisingly that is very noticeable when you have a wide car seat in the middle like we do. Alas, I still prefer the extra legroom for passengers in the rear. Going to take my time on finding the right 460L. Thank you all for the help today.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 12-20-16 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-20-16, 04:02 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

This button is gone in the 2014 LWB UltraLux (I am guessing this photo is from the same car you posted pictures of in another thread). Instead, the three buttons are used for controlling the rear passenger and rear window shades.
Old 12-20-16, 04:14 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by comotiger
This button is gone in the 2014 LWB UltraLux (I am guessing this photo is from the same car you posted pictures of in another thread). Instead, the three buttons are used for controlling the rear passenger and rear window shades.
Yes, comotiger, this is from the 08 I test drove earlier today. It indeed is missing the rear side sunshades. I don't believe the 08 I'm looking at is UL. For one, it lacks air suspension (which I see as a good thing), and it lacks the extra display and controls in the rear armrest. However, I'm surprised it still has B-pillar vents while it lacks a second AC unit in the trunk. I can see my wife really enjoying the reclining rear seat though.

I did confirm that the circled button worked as described by others above and it does turn on rear seat temperature control. A shame that this feature was removed in the '14. For us, having the toggle switch is useful when traveling with five or when a car seat blocks the center armrest contols.
Old 12-20-16, 04:40 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Yes, comotiger, this is from the 08 I test drove earlier today. It indeed is missing the rear side sunshades. I don't believe the 08 I'm looking at is UL. For one, it lacks air suspension (which I see as a good thing), and it lacks the extra display and controls in the rear armrest. However, I'm surprised it still has B-pillar vents while it lacks a second AC unit in the trunk. I can see my wife really enjoying the reclining rear seat though.

I did confirm that the circled button worked as described by others above and it does turn on rear seat temperature control. A shame that this feature was removed in the '14. For us, having the toggle switch is useful when traveling with five or when a car seat blocks the center armrest contols.
Mmm, I posted a photo on the other thread that suggests you do have the rear passenger sunshades, but I think that photo is labeled wrong. No car maker would add functionality to an unlabeled button (the leftmost button on the front console in your picture). Yeah, I agree about the reclining rear seats. My teenagers love them. They love stretching out and seems like they never run out of space!

Losing the rear seat control button in the 2014 is not a big problem since I can still access all the rear seat controls thru the Climate menu on the nav screen. I think you should be able to do the same in "your" car.
Old 12-20-16, 04:46 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by comotiger
Mmm, I posted a photo on the other thread that suggests you do have the rear passenger sunshades, but I think that photo is labeled wrong. No car maker would add functionality to an unlabeled button (the leftmost button on the front console in your picture). Yeah, I agree about the reclining rear seats. My teenagers love them. They love stretching out and seems like they never run out of space!

Losing the rear seat control button in the 2014 is not a big problem since I can still access all the rear seat controls thru the Climate menu on the nav screen. I think you should be able to do the same in "your" car.
I did not know about the 2014, comotiger. That's good to hear. I will have to inspect the onscreen climate control settings more next time. Admittedly, that is one area I didn't look closely enough at. I checked the maps version and made sure the audio controls and steering wheel mounted controls worked and forgot the climate settings.
Old 12-22-16, 05:43 PM
Zeke21
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My executive package has the on/off switch for the rear heated/cool seats in the front center console. My guess is depending on what option packages and model year will determine whether you have this ability.
Old 12-22-16, 07:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Interesting, never would have occurred to me thats what that button was for

Quick Reply: Control rear heated seats from the front?