LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-16, 05:22 PM
KansasHawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tires

I live in Kansas where the winter weather is unpredicatible and snows on average 5 times a year. I purchased a 2014 F sport RWD in June and this is my first winter with the car. I could barely get out the neighborhood today even though it hasn't snowed since Saturday. Even with snow mode it was terrible.
So what's the best winter tires that you could recommend? I don't drive a ton but need my car even when its snowy. Also, how much does it improve if you put winter tires like blizzak's? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 12-19-16, 05:43 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Sorry about that, K-Hawk. We also have some icy streets and light snow cover today in Central Missouri. It was much worse on Sat. I haven't taken out my LS yet, but I am hoping the AWD with Michelin All-Seasons will suffice for most of the winter here. In the past, my Subaru (on all-seasons) was able to get me thru all kinds of snowy roads. I am hopeful my LS will do the same, and that I don't have to buy winter tires. Some CLers have said that Blizzaks on RWD works wonders, so I am sure you will hear from them. Good luck!
Old 12-20-16, 05:14 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I live in the Boston area, and we went through the worst snowfall in record a couple years ago. Never had an issue driving with my RWD and regular Bridgestones. Snow mode and a light foot and you'll be fine.
Old 12-20-16, 05:40 AM
sapstar66
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in Montreal, so I'm well experienced in snow tires...

If money is no object, your absolute best bet is Nokian Hakkapelita, studded or not, and its little brothers, the R2 for Winter or the all-weather WRG3.

My second choice goes to a forgotten but very-good-for-the-money... Toyo GSi family.

Equal in performance to the Toyos, but not as cheap are the WS80 from Bridgestone.
Old 12-20-16, 05:55 AM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Where in KS are you? I took my ISF out Saturday in the thick of it to see how my all seasons would do and got around perfectly fine, even without snow mode on. I'm on my second set before the real stuff comes in and that is Continental DWS06
Old 12-20-16, 06:10 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ROYALISF
Where in KS are you? I took my ISF out Saturday in the thick of it to see how my all seasons would do and got around perfectly fine, even without snow mode on. I'm on my second set before the real stuff comes in and that is Continental DWS06
Your car is RWD or AWD? That makes a difference too.
Old 12-20-16, 06:13 AM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Your car is RWD or AWD? That makes a difference too.
ISF is RWD
Old 12-20-16, 06:16 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ROYALISF
ISF is RWD
Thanks! Follow up: Are all F-sports offered only as RWD?
Old 12-20-16, 07:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
I live in the Boston area, and we went through the worst snowfall in record a couple years ago. Never had an issue driving with my RWD and regular Bridgestones. Snow mode and a light foot and you'll be fine.
I think a lot of this has to do with how accustomed your area is to snowfall and how good they are at clearing the snow. My LS460 is AWD and is great in the snow on all seasons, but having had a RWD LS400 and a RWD LS430, there is no way I would even attempt to drive a RWD LS460 here without snow tires in the snow. Not a chance. They just don't do a good job clearing the roads, many side and neighborhood roads remain snow covered days after a snow event, etc.

On top of that, you have the added issue of the fact that all season tires dramatically loose grip in really low temps. It doesn't get that cold here really, but we travel up to Albany, NY every New Years and every once and a while we're up there during a snow. Like in Boston, snow there isn't a big deal, they clear and sand and salt roads really well, but even in the Jeep on all seasons I found a DRAMATIC difference in how well it did there in 6 inches of snow at 5 degrees and here in 6 inches of snow at 25 or 30 degrees.

So if I lived in Boston, I'd put winter tires on my even AWD LS460 for sure. A light foot gets you around, but you have to be able to turn, stop, avoid other people on the road...all of those things are MUCH more dangerous in a car on all seasons than on winter tires at those temps regardless of whether the car is RWD, FWD or AWD.
Old 12-20-16, 07:28 AM
KansasHawk
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the replies. The car is a RWD and just was horrible so i'm getting snow tires. To me its not worth getting into a wreck because of the tires. I'm looking at Performance winter tires and not studless Ice and Snow.
TireRack has some Bridgestone Blizzzak lm-32 OR Dunlop sp winter sport 3D. Anyone have any experience with either? The Dunlop's are about $100.00 cheaper so leaning towards them.
Anything in particular that I need to know about winter tires?
Old 12-20-16, 07:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Here's a question for you...how cold is it on average where you live? If it routinely gets above 45 in the winter like it does here, then you're trading one potential issue for another.

We probably have 5 or so snow events a year too, but it also can routinely be 50 degrees here in January and Feb, its very unpredictable. The issue is, when the temps get over 40 or so, you LOOSE traction with winter tires vs all season tires. You have to weigh that with the potential benefit when its really cold and snowy. Can you work from home on days when it snows? Have you tried putting some sandbags in the trunk and see if they help when driving in the snow? (they will)

Thats why I don't buy winter tires here. Yeah we have snow, but we also have unseasonably warm and wet weather which is a tradeoff. Thats why the AWD system is such a great fit for an area like this.
Old 12-20-16, 07:49 AM
KansasHawk
Driver School Candidate

Hi SW15LS, thanks your comment. Yes in Kansas it does get warm(tomorrow its supposed to be 45). Also, I do work from home so the commute to work is not an issue but I have a 3 year old and 1 year old and need reliable transportation. I pick them up everyday from daycare. My wife has a SUV with 4X4 but I need to have my car when she isn't available to get them.
I used to live in michigan where it snowed a ton but KS is just so unpredictable. Last year it snowed 1 time. But you can have years where it snows a lot.
So even the performance winter tires lose traction at temps over 50? I hadn't heard that before. I'm not really sure what to do.
Old 12-20-16, 07:51 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I think a lot of this has to do with how accustomed your area is to snowfall and how good they are at clearing the snow. My LS460 is AWD and is great in the snow on all seasons, but having had a RWD LS400 and a RWD LS430, there is no way I would even attempt to drive a RWD LS460 here without snow tires in the snow. Not a chance. They just don't do a good job clearing the roads, many side and neighborhood roads remain snow covered days after a snow event, etc.

On top of that, you have the added issue of the fact that all season tires dramatically loose grip in really low temps. It doesn't get that cold here really, but we travel up to Albany, NY every New Years and every once and a while we're up there during a snow. Like in Boston, snow there isn't a big deal, they clear and sand and salt roads really well, but even in the Jeep on all seasons I found a DRAMATIC difference in how well it did there in 6 inches of snow at 5 degrees and here in 6 inches of snow at 25 or 30 degrees.

So if I lived in Boston, I'd put winter tires on my even AWD LS460 for sure. A light foot gets you around, but you have to be able to turn, stop, avoid other people on the road...all of those things are MUCH more dangerous in a car on all seasons than on winter tires at those temps regardless of whether the car is RWD, FWD or AWD.
I agree with the RWD LS400. My 98 was terrible in the snow. Absolutely terrible. But I found the traction control in the LS460 to be light years ahead. Even on untouched roads, I had zero issues with it. Much has to do with drivers as well. Living here most of my life, I have driven in it nonstop.
Old 12-20-16, 08:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KansasHawk
Hi SW15LS, thanks your comment. Yes in Kansas it does get warm(tomorrow its supposed to be 45). Also, I do work from home so the commute to work is not an issue but I have a 3 year old and 1 year old and need reliable transportation. I pick them up everyday from daycare. My wife has a SUV with 4X4 but I need to have my car when she isn't available to get them.
I used to live in michigan where it snowed a ton but KS is just so unpredictable. Last year it snowed 1 time. But you can have years where it snows a lot.
So even the performance winter tires lose traction at temps over 50? I hadn't heard that before. I'm not really sure what to do.
Honestly from what you're telling me I wouldn't buy winter tires personally. I would avoid driving the LS on those days when it does snow, try sandbags, etc. Can you and your wife share the AWD vehicle when it snows? That's what we always did when we only had one, if my wife had to go to work I took her to work in it and picked her up.

Could be that modern trac is better, I still would buy winter tires up there in Boston though.
Old 12-20-16, 08:28 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Living in IN about 20 minutes south of Lake Michigan and about 35 minutes from the center of Chicago.

I honestly haven't hand ANY issues with driving my LS RWD in the snow on all-seasons.

Now mind you, im not driving through troughs of it 5" and up, but the roads typically don't get that bad. In what city do the roads get that much accumulation anyway?
I've lived/grew up in NYC an that was never the case, and have been in this area for over 12 years.

The worst areas are the residential areas during a snow fall and with a good few inches on the ground (in the streets), my car has done fine. And throwing in the variable of temperature and how the tire actually responds to colder temperatures, I can easily say that its nearly routine for temperatures to go into the negatives for days at a time, and sometimes be the dominating temp over the course of the primary winter months here.

OP, referring to what Steve mentioned, tires can loose/gain traction given what the temp is due to the polymer compound in a specific tire. Winter tires remain softer in colder temps and upon warmer temps, the tire will remain soft and you will loose precision in maneuverability, as the tire is more malleable than it needs to be, hence the stiffness of an a/s tire.

Heres a few quick-read articles:

http://news.carjunky.com/car_mainten...es-ab412.shtml
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tread...res-year-round

Now, im not saying that the car doesn't slide or loose traction at all, but I cant say that I feel like im scared or worried to take the LS out in snowy conditions.
I've also never had an issue getting out of my neighborhood... But for those days when snow simply doesn't let up-the best option is to stay home-snow tires, AWD, SUV or not.

Obviously RWD with snows are the best bet, and ultimately the safest, given the maneuverability capabilities that Steve mentioned. Do what makes you feel safest in the car that you drive in any and all conditions.

Last edited by CRowe14; 12-20-16 at 09:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires