LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2013 LS460L in for a ton of miles.... Costs, maintenance, additions and problems.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-17, 08:14 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Awesome automobiles and you are so lucky - mmade22.
Old 04-10-17, 09:36 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Love the Panamera. My uncle recently bought a 911 cabriolet 4S, but before getting it we drove basically every car in the lineup except a Cayman and theres something about the way Porsches drive that really is great. Enjoy it, and hopefully the LS fulfills the daily driver duty as well as, if not better than the GS.

Also, between Waze, my V1, and a good eye, I think thats all the help i need. although once I can afford an ALP, I'm definitely getting one.

Last edited by RXGS; 04-12-17 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-11-17, 05:02 AM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

More dertails on the Panny! Are you on Rennlist?
Old 04-11-17, 07:48 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

They can't stop you with a speed showing of 0, can't prove he's speeding
Well......not really. Most patrol/traffic officers are trained in visual speed estimation or dead-reckoning. The radar or other device, are just tools that back up what the officer already knows. An officer can tell the difference between 70 mph and 100 mph, especially if the other measured traffic is doing 70 or 80 and sees your vehicle passing them or closing on them. It will depend on the judge whether the officer's training (and reputation) stands up to the citation issued. It may be different depending on your state, but Ohio is one example.

In playing devils advocate.....what if the officer writes you a ticket and knows by his dead-reckoning or visual estimation that you were speeding and says "you were clocked at XX miles per hour, here's your ticket". Are you going to challenge him, and if so how? ..."But Officer, that's impossible, my laser jammer would have prevented that".

I know this is OT....just throwing that out there. I was never trained on laser radar, but was trained in K band and X band. Our instructor made it very clear to us that when using your radar device, you should be doing so only to confirm what you already know.

Last edited by roadfrog; 04-11-17 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-11-17, 07:57 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

If you keep getting speeding tickets.... Try what I have been doing. When I am going on a long ride, I keep my phone on with Waze on... people see a cop they report it and you'll get a notifcation "Police reported ahead".

I drive an hour a day to work and trust me, it's saved me a TON on tickets, as normally I am cruzing 80-85 and I hear the notication, I drop to 70 or so as a fly by the cop with his radar on..
Old 04-11-17, 08:15 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Yup, Waze is a lifesaver
Old 04-13-17, 07:13 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by 213374U
Yup, Waze is a lifesaver
I love me some Waze !!! I just wish I had it over bluetooth. I know I can have it but the cost to go that route bugs me. With my cheap *** !!!
Old 04-15-17, 06:44 AM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
I love me some Waze !!! I just wish I had it over bluetooth. I know I can have it but the cost to go that route bugs me. With my cheap *** !!!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008AGQMQC/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1492279322&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=stereo+bluetooth+adapter&dpPl=1&dpID=41YC%2ByGUAcL&ref=plSrch

This little unit will plug into the aux port and provide you simple BT audio playback.
A usb charger with two outputs will let you keep it and your phone charged while you use it.

Should be under $40 total for the device and two-output charger.

Last edited by dfkd; 04-15-17 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Replaced suggested product with an even less expensive option
The following users liked this post:
fwhomeboy (01-01-18)
Old 07-24-17, 09:40 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Followed your GS thread and see you haven't updated the LS one in a while. Curious to see where you're at mileage wise and how the car is holding up?
Old 01-01-18, 01:48 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

Happy New Year Everyone!

The last sat time I was able to update this thread was early summer. I apologize for not keeping this thread alive and one of my 2018 resolutions is to keep this thread alive and well going forward.

After looking back at the last posts in this thread you’ve had some discussion about speeding and tickets or ways to avoid the ticket.....

Unless you truly can say you spend more than half your working day behind the wheel, you have no idea on how many speed traps I’ve encountered.

Since the last posting on my radar system, I’ve been shot by laser radar more than 8 times..... All of them, I was driving well above the limit and out of all 8 of them, I’ve been pulled over ZERO times! I rest my case! I’m not a 100mph driver but I need to spend the least amount of time in the car. Time is money! Charging by the hour in the car and on the job....... Getting to the customer 15-30 minutes ahead gets me a little more in my pocket on travel and also gets me in from the of the machine where I can really benefit myself and the customer. Win Win!

With that being said, I started to have intermittent readings out of my front radar head causing me to get pulled over in the backroads of Alabama. Long story short.......

He was driving on the opposite lane coming towards me, I was coming up over a hill with a bad radar head and well, the rest is history!

I did my best to make sure to pull fully into a driveway off the road to make sure the officer was safe in getting out of his car. I also rolled all of my windows down, turned off my car and placed my hands out of the window. The usual “Yes Sir, No Sir” gets you a little wiggle room to talk your way out of it. He let me off with a written warning. I’ll never forget what he said.... “So this is your office?” It took me a second to realize what he was referring to. It made me laugh and we proceeded to have a short conversation on what exactly I do. Always respect our police!After this experience, I called ALP radar and I took the front radar head out to be repaired all under warranty. Since then, I’ve gotten the radar head back and all is well in the office. I’ll be updating this thread later tonight. All is well with my car. As of today, I have 84,000 trouble free miles!I’ve got all the photos of the progress and I’ll be updating you all to the current miles this week.
Old 01-01-18, 02:02 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

On with the 50,000 mile oil change…
Not much to post other than a picture of the miles

I still had machines in my garage so it was tight as always but I got the oil change done.

After 6 weeks, I was finally able to get the machines done and my garage was back to normal.

It’s A little tight....

Thank god the truck arrived!

Old 01-02-18, 03:12 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 183 Posts

Sorry, I'm stumped on your 2nd or 3rd post..
Perhaps I missed something since I haven't read through your entire thread just yet.

I saw your range was 5xx miles after refuel? Mine on average says about 300-310? I don't drive the car hard at all, always filled with Shell Premium/V-Power, and I do most of my commute in moderate traffic..

Do I need to reset my trip computer somehow to get accurate numbers? Mine has said a consistent 16mpg for fuel economy since I purchased my '13 a couple months ago..

Sorry for threadjack.

Last edited by tofuprod; 01-02-18 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-02-18, 03:30 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Am I reading this right? Last February you had 45,000 miles on the car, now almost a year later you have 50,000 miles? I thought you were supposed to be putting 5,000 miles a month on this thing?
Old 01-02-18, 03:39 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tofuprod
Sorry, I'm stumped on your 2nd or 3rd post..
Perhaps I missed something since I haven't read through your entire thread just yet.

I saw your range was 5xx miles after refuel? Mine on average says about 300-310? I don't drive the car hard at all, always filled with Shell Premium/V-Power, and I do most of my commute in moderate traffic..

Do I need to reset my trip computer somehow to get accurate numbers? Mine has said a consistent 16mpg for fuel economy since I purchased my '13 a couple months ago..

Sorry for threadjack.
No thread jacking at all sir. This is what this thread is all about. If you do nothing but highway driving in this car from the moment you fill up to the end of the tank as I have many times, you will see the LS is a very fuel efficient car for its weight and power. I average 26-27 mpg PER TANK! That’s pretty impressive. So that means I’m averaging above 27 on the highway. I once took a drive from NC to PA without stopping cruising at 70-75.and I averaged 31 mpg when I got there. This car however is horrible once you do any city driving. My average plummits as soon as I hit some city driving. It’s the engineering of that 8 speed transmission. This was right before I had to fill the car up over last summer. Weather plays a huge roll in it as well.
Old 01-02-18, 03:46 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by mmade22
No thread jacking at all sir. This is what this thread is all about. If you do nothing but highway driving in this car from the moment you fill up to the end of the tank as I have many times, you will see the LS is a very fuel efficient car for its weight and power. I average 26-27 mpg PER TANK! That’s pretty impressive. So that means I’m averaging above 27 on the highway. I once took a drive from NC to PA without stopping cruising at 70-75.and I averaged 31 mpg when I got there. This car however is horrible once you do any city driving. My average plummits as soon as I hit some city driving. It’s the engineering of that 8 speed transmission. This was right before I had to fill the car up over last summer. Weather plays a huge roll in it as well.

Ah.. that may be it then, I rarely let my car go past half a tank. I usually fill up by there when it's at half tank, or just slightly under.

Love the documentation in this thread. Please keep it going and thank you for the quick reply.

Quick Reply: 2013 LS460L in for a ton of miles.... Costs, maintenance, additions and problems.....