LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Trans drain and fill, or full flush ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-16, 03:33 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trans drain and fill, or full flush ?

Lexus dealer says the will only do a full flush for 215 bucks local mechanic reccomends a drain and fill for 85 bucks.

what do you guys suggest ? my car is about to hit 100k miles. its a 2007.
Old 12-02-16, 04:22 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I think a simple drain and fill is fine, then maybe get it done again next year depending on how much you drive. I think this is a more gradual approach than a complete fluid exchange, especially at that mileage...although you probably wouldn't have any problems going that route either.
Old 12-03-16, 06:22 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

A full flush for $215 from a Lexus dealer! That could be the deal of your lifetime. If they do it actually and set the level right why would you mess with just draining 3 qts and leaving two thirds more dirty fluid in there? This is a no brainer in my opinion.
Old 12-03-16, 06:33 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Full flush from the dealer....... $215 is a "bargain" and it will be done correctly.
Old 12-03-16, 06:56 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

is the tranny sealed in the ls460? if so then a flush is the only way to go.
Old 12-03-16, 08:43 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

If they are truly flushing the trans, then 215 dollars is indeed a bargain. I am skeptical, however. Ask them how many qts of fluid they're replacing and whether it's WS Toyota fluid.

I went with a drain and fill in my case and think it's "good enough".

"Sealed" is a misnomer. It is not sealed. There's a drain plug and a fill plug. Just because there's no dipstick, doesn't make it sealed.
Old 12-03-16, 09:58 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by lextout
is the tranny sealed in the ls460? if so then a flush is the only way to go.
Nowadays most transmissions are meant to be filled by a pro so the trans does not over filled with the wrong fluid or "mechanic in a bottle" cocktails by the consumer...... This is why most owners think the transmission is "sealed".
Anyone with a little research and mechanical knowledge can drain and fill the transmission...... My suggestion is to take the car to Lexus or a qualified shop and have them do the service on the transmission.
Again..... For $215 I would let the dealer do the job if they are flushing the transmission.
Old 12-03-16, 10:29 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

And to do the job properly requires Techstream. Yes.....some members insist it can be done without, but I don't agree, especially after reading Toyota's tech documents.
Old 12-03-16, 02:34 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

I found it very simple to do this procedure without tech stream. I have done it three times now...once a simple drain and fill (drained the fluid into an empty clear jug, drew a line at the fluid level and then simply added the same amount of fluid and pumped it in). I have removed the pan, filter and gasket method...then used the service temp check procedure through the dash and shifter. And I have used the infrared thermometer technique. All have been easy and successful. I did overfill my transmission once, but that was because I used a transmission exchanger to pump my fluid back in - and I didn't do a temp check - add that to the fact that I had never used the machine before...and didn't expect it to add an extra half quart due to the extra fluid in the lines and pump body. But even then all that happened was the extra fluid went past the pan gasket. Once I saw that I knew I overfilled it, so I did a the temp check procedure and drained the proper amount out. I now have 25,000 miles on that last procedure....no problems whatsoever.

The next time I do another service I will just do a simple drain and refill, with a fluid measurement (and use a hand pump to put the new fluid back in, rather than a transmission machine).
Old 12-03-16, 03:06 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

The next time I do another service I will just do a simple drain and refill, with a fluid measurement (and use a hand pump to put the new fluid back in, rather than a transmission machine).
which is fine if the transmission is full before you drain it. If it wasn't at capacity, (which you don't know without a dipstick), then you'll still be short on fluid afterwards. When I read the Techstream info, it stated that the software opens and closes certain valves and solenoids to ensure proper fill. That and temperature monitoring.
Old 12-03-16, 11:22 PM
Higgie
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts

My LS 600h has a CVT, 125K miles. Lexus says it's maintenance free.
Should i change it too? I got a quote of 285 Euro's from the dealer for changing the oil in both diffs and the CVT (no flush)
(I don't think a flush is needed, the CVT works in a different way.)
Old 12-04-16, 05:01 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
which is fine if the transmission is full before you drain it. If it wasn't at capacity, (which you don't know without a dipstick), then you'll still be short on fluid afterwards. When I read the Techstream info, it stated that the software opens and closes certain valves and solenoids to ensure proper fill. That and temperature monitoring.
I just find this whole topic somewhat fascinating. It's one of those things where there are so many different opinions on the subject (and many different ways to do the procedure).

As for the fear of not knowing if the transmission is filled properly, I think you'd have to go off a couple things...first if the transmission is having its first service and it's performing properly, I'd venture to think it's filled properly. But I suppose you could add a smidge more if you're concerned with fluid evaporation and the thought it's just a tad lower than when it rolled out of the factory. Transmissions have a level tolerance built in...maybe a half a quart. Adding maybe 1/4 a quart more than you took out shouldn't bother anything. Second, let's say you had it serviced by Lexus yourself years prior - and it's performing properly - wouldn't it be fair to assume that it's filled to the proper level? I think unless it's performing poorly you'd have to assume it's filled correctly, especially if it's a car you've owned for a long time. If that isn't enough to make you feel secure about the whole thing, there's always the temperature check procedure Lexus provides which involves directions that are available on line. But yeah tech stream is probably the easiest way/best way, it's just not the only way IMO.
Old 12-14-16, 11:37 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgie
My LS 600h has a CVT, 125K miles. Lexus says it's maintenance free.
Should i change it too? I got a quote of 285 Euro's from the dealer for changing the oil in both diffs and the CVT (no flush)
(I don't think a flush is needed, the CVT works in a different way.)
Higgie, did you get the answer for this? I was under the assumption the CVT was maintenance free. I have a LS600H L and at 55K miles.
Old 12-15-16, 12:15 AM
Higgie
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by USLEX
Higgie, did you get the answer for this? I was under the assumption the CVT was maintenance free. I have a LS600H L and at 55K miles.
Unfortunately no answer. But i think i will change the fluids next maintenance. It feels wrong, so many miles with the same fluids.
Old 12-15-16, 06:48 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I was at a dealership somewhat recently and he told me that, at the latest, change it at 100k.
Depending on who you ask, some may say 60k, some 80k.
Some may say don't change it at all, but as you stated, that simply doesn't sit well with me, given the amount of molecular break down that occurs due to immense heat from the moving components.
I would look into changing the fluid out.

Quick Reply: Trans drain and fill, or full flush ?