LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Next-Gen Lexus LS Rumored to Drop V8

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-16, 06:44 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

A V8 is all but a certainty. Toyota trademarked both the LS500 and LS500h nameplates a year ago. Recently an LS350 name was trademarked; which means it may use the new TT 3.0 V6.

It also doesn't make sense for them to offer a V8 in the LC and a V6 only in the LS.

A base model V6 is probably for other markets but unlikely for the US. Mercedes only sells a V8 here (unless you count the hybrid); and BMW and Audi both offer 6 and 8 cylinder choices but I think it's largely a pricing play. They can say the car starts at XX,XXX dollars but the V8 makes you spend another 10 grand. Lexus still has something of a pricing advantage so I don't know if they would need to resort to that trickery.

I'm still curious if a model will appear above the LS 500. I would guess the 600h is probably dead (since it never sold well here) so that means either an LSF with a TT V8 or a Fuel Cell version of the LS (which I think is more likely).

I'm sure we'll know more when the LS bows in Detroit.
Old 11-29-16, 06:50 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Just about every car maker is getting away from V8's..
??? That isn't true at all....unless you're talking about Ford or lesser brands. Any luxury brand, including Maserati, Audi, MB, BMW, Jaguar, etc etc (heck even Gensis/Hyundai/KIA) offer V8's now and into the future.
Old 11-29-16, 07:27 PM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
I also hope they don't just drop the V8 but give you a choice of engines. As mentioned, Cadillac offers a 6.2 V8 in the V series and will be offering a twin turbo V8 in the CT6 for 2017. Although I do agree it is the future. More power with smaller displacement.
I'm sure it will be one or the other, but not both. The LS just doesn't sell in big enough numbers to justify two engine choices.
Old 11-29-16, 08:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

It sells more than other flagship cars that offer two engine choices from other brands...
Old 11-30-16, 04:23 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Never knew Lexus trademarked "LS 350."

That, along with the LS 500 trademark, to me at least, pretty much means it will indeed be offered with multiple engines, V6 and V8.

It also means Lexus is abiding by the displacement numbering scheme, whereas others have strayed away, with the 3 liter, six bangers donning numbers in the fours (e.g., 740i for the 3 liter).

LS 350 = 3.5 liter V6...turbo? I know Honda has a NA 3.5 V6 good for 300+ HP in their top bred RL, which also weighs 4000+ lbs. I seriously doubt Toyota would do the same, but instead forced induction comes into play.

LS 500 = 5.0 liter V8, which is already confirmed for the top tier, coupe brethren of the LS: the LC.

It would be dumb to introduce the LC with that engine then a year later introduce the sedan with a V6 and only a V6.

For the long game, I can see Lexus making a smaller displacement V8 turbo. 4 or 4.3 liter V8 turbo to replace the 5 liter NA V8. It probably would take much to pull those old existing blocks off the shelves and really update them and stick on a few turbos.
Old 11-30-16, 04:28 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Let's talk smoothness...although modern v6's and v8's are smooth, it's a game of physics. A straight 6 is well balanced and more suited to a luxury car. So if I had to choose a 6cyl let it be a tt straight 6
Old 11-30-16, 05:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Straight 6s are great engines. The reason Lexus has seldom used them (they used to have one) is because they share the block and basic engine with cheaper Toyota derivatives...
Old 11-30-16, 06:25 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by jainla
A V8 is all but a certainty. Toyota trademarked both the LS500 and LS500h nameplates a year ago. Recently an LS350 name was trademarked; which means it may use the new TT 3.0 V6.

It also doesn't make sense for them to offer a V8 in the LC and a V6 only in the LS.

A base model V6 is probably for other markets but unlikely for the US. Mercedes only sells a V8 here (unless you count the hybrid); and BMW and Audi both offer 6 and 8 cylinder choices but I think it's largely a pricing play. They can say the car starts at XX,XXX dollars but the V8 makes you spend another 10 grand. Lexus still has something of a pricing advantage so I don't know if they would need to resort to that trickery.

I'm still curious if a model will appear above the LS 500. I would guess the 600h is probably dead (since it never sold well here) so that means either an LSF with a TT V8 or a Fuel Cell version of the LS (which I think is more likely).

I'm sure we'll know more when the LS bows in Detroit.
I feel much better after reading this. I forgot about the LC having a V8 and agree with your logic.
Old 11-30-16, 07:40 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

I can picture a base lower tier LS with a V6 but not a 3.5, but maybe a 4.0 reviving the LS400 nameplate that's been dormant almost 20 years. but I really hope the LS never sees a 6. that would be a crying shame and just wrong. you wont get the refinement, the sound, or the torque the V8 gives. also, some seem to forget that although, the V6 is quick off the line, but looses steam over 85ish mph. the V8s don't. I can merge on the highway incredibly fast in my 20 year old Ls400 and even at 85mph, I put the hammer down and still pulls like hell clean up to 140 mph... thanks to the V8. it would be cool to see a redesigned and updated 1UZ v8 which was one of the greatest engines they ever made, but I will weep in sorrow for the LS if it gets some stupid turbo 6 or 4 banger. might as well make it FWD while they are at it, which would be heartbreaking alone.
Old 11-30-16, 07:55 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Straight 6s are great engines. The reason Lexus has seldom used them (they used to have one) is because they share the block and basic engine with cheaper Toyota derivatives...
I could suffer the agony of a TT4.0 straight 6cylinder "oomph" powering a 4k car. And Toyota can certainly find a way to charge $10,000 for them. On another note, the 500 will almost certainly be a turboed' v8 because BMW and Mercedes have forced the market. Today's luxury v8 car must do 0-60 sub 5sec.

MotorTrend:Although the concept uses a hydrogen fuel cell with trick in-wheel motors, the production car will launch with a gas V-8—likely naturally aspirated to start with a twin-turbo variant to follow—though Lexus hints that a top-tier fuel cell LS is in the cards. Expect some level of the concept’s gesture control human-machine interface and much of its L-Finesse design language to carry over to production.
http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-...t-look-review/

Last edited by superdenso; 11-30-16 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-30-16, 08:24 AM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Toyota still makes V12 in their flagship car-Century. You just can't get it oversea. To keep it more quiet, it use wool cloth in stead of leather for seats.

Old 11-30-16, 08:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2v1g
Toyota still makes V12 in their flagship car-Century. You just can't get it oversea. To keep it more quiet, it use wool cloth in stead of leather for seats.
Thats actually not why they use cloth. Tastes in Japan are different than here, and while its changing they actually find velour more luxurious than leather.

Back to the V8, Like I said I don't min d a standard turbo V6, thats the typical setup in the segment nowadays (the LS and the S Class are the only ones left with a standard V8), but there should be a V8 option...especially since they just have that V8 in the LC, GS-F, RC-F lying around.
Old 11-30-16, 09:24 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I think the reason Lexus stopped using the I6 was because Toyota dropped the engine all together due to weight, emissions, old design, too long, packaging, and went with a new V6 design instead which Toyota and Lexus both share.

Lexus used most of the I6's in the beginning with the SC, GS, and IS, I believe the only Toyota that used the I6 was the Supra, the ES and RX Lexus used the V6 shared with Toyota's from the beginning and still do so it is not like Lexus was only using its own engine family and getting away from sharing with Toyota. Later Lexus put the newer engine family V6 in the IS and GS replacing the I6. Nissan dropped their inline 6 too and went with a V6. Inline 6's have some packaging issues and many say they are more expensive to build though they are smoother and generally stronger and better suited for turbo's.
Old 11-30-16, 10:32 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Growl

Originally Posted by 0133642
One of the highlights of any LS trip is the engine growl at start. Just look at how much flak the new M4/M3 gets despite the impressive performance. For me, sound is king when it comes to this type of car.
I get that growl (but a really nice amount more) on start up, on light acceleration, at idle, etc, with my Exhaust Vents. At full throttle the engine noise is louder than the exhaust, and sounds great there too. My work buddies continuously make positive comments on how nice my car sounds. And can be totally back to stock sound in 15 minutes.

Plug concluded. Just went well with 0133642's reply.

As for the V8, it does have an elegance to it. There's a word here, can't think of. If the direction is for turbos (which I agree it is), a V8 responds well to a turbo ... or 2! It would keep the V8 , V8 sound, V8 refinement, with more power than anyone needs. A PRIVILEGE, that's the word I've been trying to think of. It is a PRIVILEGE to drive a car with a V8. It's a greater privilege to drive a car with such an outstanding V8. I don't drive my LS for fuel mileage, or for racing minivans from one traffic light to the next. I drive it because I want to feel as if I earned it, and the V8 makes me feel privileged to be able to sit behind it and experience it.

I prefer NOT to lose that privilege on a future LS. I too hope it does not go away.
Old 11-30-16, 10:43 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm agreeing with super & SW15LS on this. And I-6 is optimal for smoothness, simplicity & luxury (feel, performance, robustness). However, from my automotive engineering background, I will add that due to the discussions I was actively involved in (all manner of vehicle planning, but not on the LS, but it's the same direction for the most part), I'm going to go and say that the MAIN decision NOT to use an I-6 versus a V-6 is packaging. It is a space savings (length) to use a V-6 versus I-6. And V-6's can move back further toward the cabin to enhance ride and handling. There may not be a hugely substantial difference in the ride and handling between an exact car with an I-6 versus V-6 (assuming both optimally placed under the hood). But there is a difference. And when shooting for all the best attributes, a V-6 packages better. The hood length can be shortened, etc. Lots of advantages / disadvantages either way. But ultimately, the issue comes down to packaging. This was my observation. If I had my druthers, I would take an I-6 (versus V-6).

Quick Reply: Next-Gen Lexus LS Rumored to Drop V8