LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 2016 Steering Wheel Upgrade to 2017 Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-16, 11:31 AM
pavelmyn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS460 2016 Steering Wheel Upgrade to 2017 Steering Wheel

Hi Everyone, I was wondering if 2016 model heated steering wheel can be upgraded to the 2017 Steering wheel where it also warms up the wooden trim. I have spoker to a Lexus Dealership and they said that its not compatible but i don't believe them. The only reason that I don't believe them is because they told me that its not possible to have the wooden trim on the steering wheel to be heated. They probably didn't have training of the new 2017 models.
Old 11-28-16, 11:55 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Sorry bud, you are mistaken. I am pretty sure the wooden part is not heated in the 2017 model. How are you so certain that the wooden part is heated? Why would the dealer lie about it

This issue was recently discussed in another thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l-edition.html
Old 11-28-16, 12:19 PM
pavelmyn
Driver School Candidate

On the Lexus website when you build out the 2017 model or go to the accessories one of the options is wood heated steering wheel. "
HEATED WOOD- AND LEATHER-TRIMMED STEERING WHEEL WITH LEATHER CENTER PAD"

In the options when you build one out.

The reason why i think they are lying only because they are trying to take the easy way out since they can't fix my clicking sound when I brake and they keep telling me it's normal when i know its not. Maybe they don't want to take on the job or something. Maybe I'm wrong, but they did try to prove to me that the wood does not heat up until i sent them the link and the proof.
Old 11-28-16, 12:41 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pavelmyn
On the Lexus website when you build out the 2017 model or go to the accessories one of the options is wood heated steering wheel. "
HEATED WOOD- AND LEATHER-TRIMMED STEERING WHEEL WITH LEATHER CENTER PAD"

In the options when you build one out.

The reason why i think they are lying only because they are trying to take the easy way out since they can't fix my clicking sound when I brake and they keep telling me it's normal when i know its not. Maybe they don't want to take on the job or something. Maybe I'm wrong, but they did try to prove to me that the wood does not heat up until i sent them the link and the proof.
The language on the website is confusing, no doubt. This was discussed in the other thread. Have you tested the heating function in a 2017 LS and confirmed that the wooden section heats as well? If not, you should trust the dealer on this.

Looks like you have a separate issue with the brakes. What MY car do you have? If you have a 2016 LS, they should treat you like a king and make you happy. Is this the dealership that sold you the car?
Old 11-28-16, 12:46 PM
pavelmyn
Driver School Candidate

you are right, I will go to a different dealership and test that feature. No I got it from a different dealership. The dealership I got the car from is far away to go for service there. I am going to try a different dealership in regards to my clicking sound when I am breaking. I opened a ticket with Lexus directly and if my issue is not fix with a second dealer they told me to call them and they will assign a manager to my case and he will try to figure out why the dealerships can't fix the problem.

I know, this car is a 80K car and they had the nerve to tell me that its a normal sound. I asked around with people driving the same car as me and they don't have that clicking sound, plus i see a lot of threads with this issue and not only the LS class but other classes as well.

agh its just frustrating that they had the car twice already in the span of a month and kept it for a week in a half and still cant fix the issue. Thanks for your help
Old 11-28-16, 01:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

We've been over this.

The wood portion of the wheel is not heated either on a 2017 or a 2016. Its the way Lexus chooses to word the description of the option, its a "Heated, wood and leather steering wheel" you are interpreting it as being "heated wood, and leather". Placement of the comma is important.

The dealer is correct, it does not heat up.

My brake pedal clicks too, I brought it up but its operating as normal. I don't even notice it anymore.
Old 11-28-16, 01:02 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

you are right, I will go to a different dealership and test that feature. No I got it from a different dealership. The dealership I got the car from is far away to go for service there. I am going to try a different dealership in regards to my clicking sound when I am breaking. I opened a ticket with Lexus directly and if my issue is not fix with a second dealer they told me to call them and they will assign a manager to my case and he will try to figure out why the dealerships can't fix the problem.

I know, this car is a 80K car and they had the nerve to tell me that its a normal sound. I asked around with people driving the same car as me and they don't have that clicking sound, plus i see a lot of threads with this issue and not only the LS class but other classes as well.

agh its just frustrating that they had the car twice already in the span of a month and kept it for a week in a half and still cant fix the issue. Thanks for your help

Your frustration is understandable. I know the brake actuator was a problem in older cars (pre-2012). I have not heard of anyone with newer cars with this problem. Where I live, the Lexus dealer provides valet service for warranty work (I live 150 miles away from the nearest dealership), so you could insist that the selling dealership take care of you. Just know that the LS is super reliable, and it's too bad you have a nagging issue on yours. I am sure it will be resolved to your satisfaction, and you have many years of happy driving ahead Good luck!
Old 11-28-16, 01:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Mine is audible when say backing up in a parking garage when you can hear little sounds, its not the brake actuator issue. Its almost like a little click spring when you apply the brakes at low speeds.

I'm sure yours does it too you just haven't heard it.
Old 11-28-16, 01:09 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"HEATED WOOD- AND LEATHER-TRIMMED STEERING WHEEL WITH LEATHER CENTER PAD"
There are lots of loop holes if they put sentence like that in the legal document. I think what it actually means "WOOD- AND LEATHER-TRIMMED STEERING WHEEL that is heated"

The heated leather part make your hands comfortable in the winter, but that makes the unheated wood part even colder. So your hands will feel warm, cold, warm and cold when you make turns. That is the only one thing I don’t like about the heated steering in LS.
Old 11-28-16, 01:15 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

I think there might more problem to heat wood than leather, that is why Lexus only heat the leather part.
Old 11-28-16, 01:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Other carmakers do a mix. On my Jeep the whole wheel was heated, the wood and the leather which was great. On my Kia Sedona only the leather areas are heated like on the Lexus.
Old 11-29-16, 06:44 AM
pavelmyn
Driver School Candidate

Thank You all for your replies and input. I will go to another dealership and try to figure out the clicking sound and see if another service dealership can fix it. If not, I have a trouble ticket opened with Lexus and see how they handle the issue. I notice a lot of people saying that it's a normal behavior but i choose not to accept that answer from the dealership and see if this can actually be muted or taken care of. Wish me luck lol
Old 11-29-16, 07:00 AM
2v1g
Intermediate

Thank You all for your replies and input. I will go to another dealership and try to figure out the clicking sound and see if another service dealership can fix it. If not, I have a trouble ticket opened with Lexus and see how they handle the issue. I notice a lot of people saying that it's a normal behavior but i choose not to accept that answer from the dealership and see if this can actually be muted or taken care of. Wish me luck lol
When there is something wrong with the car, you should trust yourself than the technician because you drive your car everyday. LS owner are due diligent. we are not paranoia for nothing. most of time it is for sure there is a problem, but sometimes it is difficult for us and technician know the cause.