LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake Pad and Rotor Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-16, 09:05 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts
Default Brake Pad and Rotor Thread

Not sure if this has been done before here at CL. I want to start a thread that specifically addresses replacement rotors and pads that members have chosen. Then, I'd like to get feedback on how they've performed and held up with regards to vibration. Also, any information on hardware that was replaced (springs, clips etc_). I'm going to be replacing my hardware, rotors and pads in the Spring, I only want to do this once, and want to ensure that the vibration when braking never returns.

Pads: what brand (ie: Akebono, Hawk etc)

Rotors: Brand (Centric, etc), Cryo? slotted? Grooved or both?)

Hardware: Did you replace any hardware, if so what?

How long or how many miles have you put on them?

Vendor: Who did you obtain and source your parts from?

Comments: Did the vibration ever return? etc.
Old 11-22-16, 02:59 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Pads: Akebono: standard ceramic front and rear (tirerack)
Rotors (front): Stoptech-cryo drilled (tirerack)
Rotors (rear): Stoptech-drilled (partsgeek)
Hardware: Centric brake hardware kit front and rear (partsgeek) / New caliper bolts (Lexus) / Bendix ceramlub brake grease (10yrs old)
Miles on replacement brakes: 25k

Comments: The vibration was terminated. There was a low level whirling sound during the first 20k miles with new brake hardware. Further, at 25k miles the braking action is nearly inaudible. The acceleration and braking action are equally smooth.
Old 11-22-16, 03:44 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Excellent start. Thanks for the info. Why did you go with cryo for the front but not the rear? I'm still on the fence about slotted/drilled. I like the look but not willing to sacrifice quietness over looks.
Old 11-22-16, 03:59 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My front rotors are 33mm, pads 8.9mm, rear rotors 21mm, pads 8.6mm, what is the min for roots and pads before they need to be replaced? How many miles do I left before change it?

i never need to change the rotors
Old 11-22-16, 08:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Great thread, planning on doing mine as well.
Old 11-22-16, 11:57 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I'm on my second set of Akebono ceramic pads. Absolutely love them, also put them on my wife's Jag. I bought all my pads from placeforbrakes.com, good price and super fast delivery.

I still have the original rotors but I'm looking to replace them, will be interested to see what you guys recommend.
Old 11-23-16, 04:05 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Excellent start. Thanks for the info. Why did you go with cryo for the front but not the rear? I'm still on the fence about slotted/drilled. I like the look but not willing to sacrifice quietness over looks.
Because I was very concerned about the car's weight and heat being the cause of the warp symptoms. I was also loosely thinking about 20in or 22in wheels. Now that the causes have been narrowed to the pad composition and glazing. My opinion is that any quality pad and rotor is good enough. By this I mean I would steer clear of OEM parts or $20 rotors. I think the Centric line starts at 35 or 40 bucks, that should get the job done. And a ceramic pad should offer some additional insurance when it comes to heat and glaze.
Old 11-23-16, 08:23 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

As I've just had word that my control arm bushings are in need of replacement, I will be putting the brake job on hold for now. Good thing is by the time I get to the brakes, there should be lots of info here to chew on. Great posts so far!
Old 11-23-16, 11:46 AM
krypto89
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

perfect timing on this thread as i have to change the pads on my rear brakes. since i have to do this, i was wondering if anyone had experience or heard reviews on Brake Performance.com:

http://brakeperformance.com/

was thinking of adding slotted/dimpled rotors. my mechanic said he was going to install akebono brakes because it might squeak if i don't. i looked online for reviews on brake performance. most were positive, but the few negative ones are making me have negative thoughts...
Old 11-23-16, 06:23 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Ls2k

Used bendix rotors in front and akemobo pads with new hardware for both front and back. Don't like that the front part of the bendix rotors is now rusty color. I still have the same clankiing and hissing noises as with OEM parts :-(
On the rear, had to replace akemobo pads with OEM pads because of squeeking noise. Ordered everyting from amz.
Old 11-24-16, 08:11 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

Back in July I used the following Brake parts on our 2010 LS 460L which had 57,911 miles on it at the time.

Front Rotors: Centric Premium E Coated Plain Surface Rotor. Part # CE 120.44148 (Amazon.com)

Rear Rotors: Centric Premium E Coated Plain Surface Rotor. Part# CE 120.44149 (Amazon.com)

Front Pads: Akebono Pro Act Disc Brake Pads. Part # ACT 1282 (Amazon.com)

Rear Pads: Akebono Pro Act Disc Brake Pads. Part# ACT 1283 (Amazon.com)

Hardware Kits: Centric Part# CE 117.44085 (1 kit per axle) (Carpartkings.com)

I now have roughly 60,300 miles on the car and have been very happy with the results.

Dennis

Last edited by DJWLDW; 11-24-16 at 08:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (05-19-18)
Old 11-24-16, 12:23 PM
cerbum
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Hardware Kits: Centric Part# CE 117.44085 (1 kit per axle) (Carpartkings.com)
Mind sharing why you bought this? Did you have to replace one or more of the pieces because they broke, or did you do this just because you hadn't spent enough money on your DIY-brake parts yet?

I did my brakes about 10 months ago (don't have the specifics handy) and I didn't replace any of the pieces that come with that kit. Wonder if I should have.

Thanks.

-cerbum
Old 11-24-16, 05:39 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

cerbum

I replaced the hardware just because I could. I was replacing the rotors and pads and thought what the hell it is only another10-15 bucks might as well install new hardware that is designed for the rotors. I had $213.32 in the 4 new rotors and $136.51 in the pads and hardware kits. It then cost me $226.67 to have all the new brake stuff installed. $100 buck per axle plus tax. So I ended up at $575.50 in the brake job.

The nice thing was that my wife never even missed the $575.50 when I took it out of her pedicure account but then that is the type of woman she is.

Dennis
Old 11-25-16, 05:36 AM
cerbum
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
cerbum

I replaced the hardware just because I could. I was replacing the rotors and pads and thought what the hell it is only another10-15 bucks might as well install new hardware that is designed for the rotors. I had $213.32 in the 4 new rotors and $136.51 in the pads and hardware kits. It then cost me $226.67 to have all the new brake stuff installed. $100 buck per axle plus tax. So I ended up at $575.50 in the brake job.

The nice thing was that my wife never even missed the $575.50 when I took it out of her pedicure account but then that is the type of woman she is.
HAH! That's awesome.

The extra 2% for parts makes sense, never dawned on me to do it. Next time I do brakes, I probably will.

-cerbum
Old 11-25-16, 06:27 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

In April of this year I replaced my front brakes with the following hardware:

Pads: Akebono Pro-Act ($50)
Rotors: Not sure what brand they are, but they're drilled and slotted ($116)
Hardware: I replaced whatever hardware came with the Akebono's.
I've put roughly 5-7k miles on the car ever since
Vendor: Akebono's were sourced from Amazon while the rotors were sourced from Ebay
Comments: Performance has been fantastic with practically no dust. I don't really have any vibrations but I haven't had the car with me for a few weeks so I can't exactly remember.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad and Rotor Thread