LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake Pad and Rotor Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-16, 04:38 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Excellent start. Thanks for the info. Why did you go with cryo for the front but not the rear? I'm still on the fence about slotted/drilled. I like the look but not willing to sacrifice quietness over looks.
if you think your blower motor is quiet you'll nvr notice the drilled rotor "vortex".
Old 01-10-17, 04:11 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Update:

I ordered my parts through Rock Auto. Total bill was 266 bucks for all four wheels inc shipping. I also ordered a hardware kit for 20 bucks on Ebay.

Centric Premium rotors - treated
Centric Posi-quiet premium pads

As much as I wanted the drilled rotors for looks, my research dissuaded me from doing so. Noise, no matter how subtle, scared me off. Maybe next time.
The following users liked this post:
lizhekb (11-18-21)
Old 01-10-17, 05:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Looking forward to your thoughts. Going to have to do mine too.
Old 01-18-17, 08:44 AM
B777Pilot
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Any opinions on the OEM Lexus disks and pads. Have read many experience disk warpage with OEM.
UZ214 (01-18-17)
Old 01-18-17, 03:33 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i changed mine at 65k / stock rotors and pads and rears as well; i kept everything stock because i am happy on how they feel and pretty much make no noise.
on my LX570 brakes would last about 30k; (rotors wrapped a little); ISF 25k pads needed to be changed. On the LS i think they would last little longer.
I picked up everything form ebay (lexus dealer)- i think it was about 260 front and 250 rears.

did everything myself pretty straight forward and reused the old brake pad senors.

Originally Posted by B777Pilot
Any opinions on the OEM Lexus disks and pads. Have read many experience disk warpage with OEM.
Old 01-18-17, 05:16 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by B777Pilot
You read and heard correctly. The oem rotors are notorious for warping. Pads are fine.
Old 01-19-17, 08:43 AM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Update:

I ordered my parts through Rock Auto. Total bill was 266 bucks for all four wheels inc shipping. I also ordered a hardware kit for 20 bucks on Ebay.

As much as I wanted the drilled rotors for looks, my research dissuaded me from doing so. Noise, no matter how subtle, scared me off. Maybe next time.
Just found this thread. I replaced all four pads/rotors last year. Went with the cheaper centric rotors and Akebono ceramic pads. Bought the pads on amazon and the Centric rotors I picked up locally at Fast Auto Parts here in SD. Install went fine, thanks to CL.

Would do a couple things differently next time. First, I would pay the extra cash (not much more) for the premium rotors. My rotor hats started to rust almost instantly and I couldn't stand the sight of rust showing through my wheels. We're talking a nominal difference in price. I ended up painting my rotor hats silver which has helped, but will most likely be putting on new rotors this year.

Second, you don't need to bed the pads with the posi-quiet pads. I was told this by the guys at Fast Auto Parts, who are a Centric dealer here in SD, they have a warehouse full of Centric pads and rotors. They say their pads don't need to be bedded and trying to do so might make things worse as far as noise and vibration. Well, I tried to bed my pads, before talking to them, and I'm sure I didn't do it right. Granted, I had the Akebono pads, not Centric. Will be going with the full Centric set up next time.
Old 01-31-17, 07:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Update:

have you installed your brakes yet?
Old 01-31-17, 08:32 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
have you installed your brakes yet?
Your timing is perfect....I'll be doing them tomorrow! Did my rear shocks today.
Old 01-31-17, 09:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Excellent. Going to have my mechanic do them with my parts when he does the 30k, need to know what to order.
Old 02-01-17, 04:46 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

All done. Front and rear. Took a few hours and all went smoothly. I replaced all the hardware - anti-rattle springs, caliper slide pins, etc. Left the existing brake wear sensor but used new retainers included with the kit.

Couple of observations:

- brakes are now buttery smooth. No pulsation. No noise. Admittedly, it's still early and I only drove it around the block a few times.
- These Centric rotors are extremely high quality. Very stout and treated against rust. Black painted rotor hats and vanes.
- Centric Posi-Quiet pads are equally high quality. They even came with all the hardware, so purchasing the hardware kits on Ebay was unnecessary. I'll have an extra kit for next time if needed.
- .The brake sensor retainers don't exactly hold the wire very well. They just clip on and aren't very tight. I suppose after a few heat/cool cycles, they'll "bond" a bit better. We'll see. I experienced the same thing with my BMW and they were actually worse. I ended up applying a little epoxy for good measure in that case, but didn't bother with the LS. It should be fine.
- I used a turkey baster to remove about a 1/3 cup of brake fluid before depressing the caliper pistons. That was about perfect in bringing the fluid back up to the "max" level on the reservoir.
- Did not disconnect the battery before tackling the job. Remember to ensure the emergency brake is off before trying to remove the rear rotors. Ask me how I know! LOL.
- almost ran out of brake grease/lube. Make sure you have some for the shims and slide pins. I also applied some to the edges of the pads (metal part) which made inserting the pads into the calipers easier.

I'll post an update after a few thousand miles.
FreddyG (01-08-22)
Old 02-01-17, 05:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Great to hear. I've been agonizing over what to buy, think I'm just going to buy the same parts. Was considering EBC rotors and pads also, they're a lot more expensive though.

Any pics of the rotors?
Old 02-01-17, 06:14 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Great to hear. I've been agonizing over what to buy, think I'm just going to buy the same parts. Was considering EBC rotors and pads also, they're a lot more expensive though.

Any pics of the rotors?
In all my research, Centric Premium rotors consistently received rave reviews. As for pads, EBC were highly rated, but so were the Centric Posi-quiet.

Here's a pic of the rotor:
Old 02-02-17, 07:52 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

roadfrog - Thanks for starting this thread. I have a feeling I'll be going down your path before long. I'm going to follow the requested format, but only have a minor amount to report. Mostly an OEM datapoint here, FWIW.

My vehicle has just a skosh over 30k miles.

Pads: OEM pads remain.

Rotors: OEM rotors remain. When I bought the car with 13,800 miles, the front rotors were horribly warped.

Hardware: OEM hardware remains.

Miles: 30k miles on the car to date.

Vendor: N/A. But had a NAPA store resurface the front rotors with GREAT results.

Comments: The fronts have been resurfaced once. But now I'm picking up a slight tremor again. I'm wondering if it may be the rears. I may pull them soon and have them resurfaced ($20, $10 each). I'll make them last as long as is possible.
Old 02-02-17, 08:24 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
roadfrog - Thanks for starting this thread. I have a feeling I'll be going down your path before long. I'm going to follow the requested format, but only have a minor amount to report. Mostly an OEM datapoint here, FWIW.

My vehicle has just a skosh over 30k miles.

Pads: OEM pads remain.

Rotors: OEM rotors remain. When I bought the car with 13,800 miles, the front rotors were horribly warped.

Hardware: OEM hardware remains.

Miles: 30k miles on the car to date.

Vendor: N/A. But had a NAPA store resurface the front rotors with GREAT results.

Comments: The fronts have been resurfaced once. But now I'm picking up a slight tremor again. I'm wondering if it may be the rears. I may pull them soon and have them resurfaced ($20, $10 each). I'll make them last as long as is possible.
I think the OEM pads are fine and they last a long time. The rotors are a different story. According to the service records of the previous owner, the rotors were resurfaced by a Lexus dealer, but the warping returned after I bought it. The pads I just replaced still had about 25% left in them and I put nearly 60k miles on them, albeit mostly highway. I'd have no issue using OE pads, but I got the Posi-Quiets at such a good price and they get great reviews. Same with the rotors. Here's the info on the rotors: http://www.centricparts.com/products...m-brake-rotors

Autoanything.com has nearly 300 reviews on them, with 80% of the reviews giving them 5 stars (236 reviews).

Quick Reply: Brake Pad and Rotor Thread