LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Are most of LS owners picky and attention to detail person?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-16, 12:37 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Are most of LS owners picky and attention to detail person?

Sometimes you can tell person’s character by what kind of car he drives. Are most of LS owners picky and attention to detail person? The reason I got into audiophile is because I am picky and can’t stand the un-cleaned sound from the Karaoke system I bought for my wife. In several years, I upgraded to Wilson audio speakers and McIntosh’s top of line tube amps. And I still don’t like the sound very much.
Old 11-04-16, 01:42 PM
jfattibe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to agree. I've been working on a chip in the paint on my hood for two days ! Slowly building up the paint so I can wet sand it and get it to match. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I would not be able to sleep leaving that chip there untreated.
Old 11-04-16, 01:51 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 2v1g
Sometimes you can tell person’s character by what kind of car he drives. Are most of LS owners picky and attention to detail person? The reason I got into audiophile is because I am picky and can’t stand the un-cleaned sound from the Karaoke system I bought for my wife. In several years, I upgraded to Wilson audio speakers and McIntosh’s top of line tube amps. And I still don’t like the sound very much.
LS owners on here are probably attentive enough to detail to appreciate what they have. More broadly, I am not sure. There is a group of people out there with money to burn who will buy LS, Benz, Range Rover, etc., treat them like crap, turn them in a year or two later, and repeat the process. I certainly saw many, many sorry examples of used LS460s (when I was shopping for one back in 2011) and certainly see my share of folks driving around (in LSs and some other nice vehicles) with feet on the dash (to mention one thing that drives me nuts). My children would be disowned.

Originally Posted by jfattibe
I would have to agree. I've been working on a chip in the paint on my hood for two days ! Slowly building up the paint so I can wet sand it and get it to match. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I would not be able to sleep leaving that chip there untreated.
Perfectly normal, from my perspective And while we're at it, since you're in MA, if you need help, just say the word. I've been to that rodeo before, and it's either careful wet sanding, or Langka, which will dissolve touch-up paint (without disturbing OEM paint) to help with smoothing.
Old 11-04-16, 02:01 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

isn't the hood made of aluminum? You can take your time because the chip won't change into Rust

i focus more on driving experience like suspension, steering, acceleration, braking
Old 11-04-16, 02:03 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They are! Thats what I love about them. My friend owns an LS430 and he keeps that well maintained, not only his car but everything also with his life. I wish I had the attention to detail like him.
Old 11-05-16, 04:31 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I'm pretty **** with my LS, all the fluids are done on time (or before), I wax it every other month and the interior gets detailed every two weeks. I also treat the undercarriage with fluid film before every winter. I try to be careful when I park it - within reason - and it's garaged every night. But I do drive the thing, this is not some show car to me, it's driven 600 miles a week whether it likes it or not (but I think it likes it).
Old 11-06-16, 10:05 AM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 2v1g
high end audio is more about synergy than how much money you spend on components. Wilson makes great speakers, McIntosh makes great tube amps, but do they pair well? Probably not. Don't think I've ever seen Wilson Audio speakers matched to tube amplification.

Comparing a Karaoke system to Wilson and McIntosh is like comparing a 2008 Yaris to a Bugatti Veyron.
Old 11-06-16, 11:34 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hats off to you for working on that paint chip. I used to roll like that, as I'm pretty detail oriented, but after having children (now 18mo and 3.5yrs) I'm less picky than I used to be.

I do keep my cars clean, detailed, and well maintained, but I no longer have the bandwidth to agonize over every mark or little scratch. At least not on the Lexus.
Old 11-06-16, 06:26 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts
Default Are most of LS owners picky and attention to detail person?

Yes, they probably are, but you know what I have found? As you get much older you no longer sweat the details!
Old 11-07-16, 02:21 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I used to be very picky with details with my car and when i get a scratch or bird poo on my car i go bonkerz. Everytime I get new tires i always carefully remove wheel weights and the glue before i take her in. I use paint protector film on all painted panels on my car. So yes i was very picky and anticipate problems before it even happends and it drives me crazy.

But i do realized that one day the car i take very good care of will eventually become scrap metal in a junk yards one way or another it just a matter of time. As long as you drive it, parts will wear, paints will scratch and even the engine and transmission will one day bite the dust. Dont get me wrong Lexus is a very reliable brand and most Lexus i own had 150,000+ miles on the clock and was still running. But will it make it to 2 million miles without major repairs i doubt it.

Every car will eventually be replace by a new one. So that is why i found some peace and stopped being so picky about things. So what if i got a scratch from a careless parker. So what if i hit a large piece of debris on the highway. Eventually it will be replaced by another car anyways. But I will still Clear Bra my whole car, perform scheduled maintenence and clean/detail my car every week. Because i still would like my car to look decent when it hits +150k miles or more. I am just not that hard on myself anymore if something is not perfect. I just live with it and wont dwell in it any more. And i feel it makes me a better person to those around me, thats what matters more, because after all its just a car.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 11-07-16 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-07-16, 02:23 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
I used to be very picky with details with my car and when i get a scratch or bird poo on my car i go bonkerz. Everytime I get new tired i always carefully remove wheel weights and the glue before i take her in. I use paint protector film on all painted panels on my car. So yes i was very picky and anticipate problems before it even happends and it drives me crazy.

But i do realized that one day the car i take very good care of will eventually become scrap metal in a jung yards one way or another it just a matter of time. As long as you drive it, parts will wear, paints will scratch and even the engine and transmission will one day bite the dust. Dont get me wrong Lexus is a very reliable brand and most Lexus i own had 150,000+ miles on the clock and was still running. But will it make it to 2 million miles without major repairs i doubt it.

Every car will eventually be replace by a new one. So that is why i found some peace and stopped being so picky about things. So what if i got a scratch from a careless parker. So what if i hit a large piece of debris on the highway. Eventually it will be replaced by another car anyways. But I will still Clear Bra my whole car, perform scheduled maintenence and clean/detail my car every week. Because i still would like my car to look decent when it hits +150k miles or more. I am just not that hard on myself anymore if something is not perfect. I just live with it and wont dwell in it any more. And i feel it makes me a better person to those around me, thats what matters more than just a car.
​​​​​​​Well said.
Old 11-07-16, 02:19 PM
MrDOS
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I treat my LS different than I do my other cars, because it treats me different -- it's a completely different experience to drive than my Camry or Mazda SUV.
If I get caught in unexpected rain, I towel-dry it off when I get back to the garage. Driving it to work the next day makes me feel like a brand new man, much like a new haircut or sharp clothes.
Old 11-07-16, 02:26 PM
jfattibe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrDOS
I treat my LS different than I do my other cars, because it treats me different -- it's a completely different experience to drive than my Camry or Mazda SUV.
If I get caught in unexpected rain, I towel-dry it off when I get back to the garage. Driving it to work the next day makes me feel like a brand new man, much like a new haircut or sharp clothes.

......and this is why my wife looks at me like I have three heads when I tell her to take her 1998 Rav4 to the Super Market instead of the LS. 😱
Old 11-07-16, 02:34 PM
MrDOS
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know that look!
Old 11-08-16, 06:45 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

......and this is why my wife looks at me like I have three heads when I tell her to take her 1998 Rav4 to the Super Market instead of the LS. 😱
Lol, i use to do this exact thing! My wife has her own car but still want to use mines because deep down she knows mines is better. Every time I do give it to her my car comes back with curbed wheels and dents and scratches, which drives me crazy. I dont do this no more because happy wife is happy life.

Quick Reply: Are most of LS owners picky and attention to detail person?